Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe | Sat 14 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• The first 3 matches under Lee Bowyer, we caught team's unawares with our set-up. The last 2 we've been caught out with their set-up with both teams pressurising JFC at the foot of the diamond. Need a tactical response from LB/JJ - not sure what it is but then I'm not the manager.

Whatever, I believe LB will get a response from the team so 2-0 to us.

And the pitch won't be an excuse :smile:
  • need to set the tone and get at them from the start sheer will and aggression wins games at this level

in bow we trust 4-0 to us
  • can't believe a couple are still picking Kaikai. I'd rather start with 10 men. home win, just, 2-1.
  • Jake Forster-Caskey is backing Charlton to quickly put the disappointment of Tuesday night behind them, as they head into five “massive” games between now and the end of the season.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5acf72ee58143/forster-caskey-backing-charlton-to-respond-in-vital-scunthorpe-clash
  • dickplumb said:

2-0 to Scunthorpe and our Play off hopes receding fast.

Merry Christmas
  • JamesSeed said:

Had a feeling we might come unstuck against Wimbledon, despite my earlier random 'win' prediction.

Not sure why, but feel we'll bounce back against Scunthorpe on Saturday. It'll be the first match in ages I won't be following, as I'll be flying in to Heathrow and landing just after the final whistle.

Really surprised Zyro was so poor after his excellent performances in Bowyer's three wins. Maybe he's knackered, maybe he's easily intimidated, I don't know. I don't agree that he's not interested though. Unfortunately I don't think Magennis is the answer, but you never know.
    It's possible Bowyer brought Reeves off to rest him for Saturday.
    I think he had to rest Dijksteel, but you can be sure he'll be back on Saturday.
    Aribo plays much better on a decent pitch. I'd rest him for the 'horrible' games, unless he show he can cope soon as.
    I wouldn't be averse to seeing Dasilva on the left wing/left midfield. Reeves could float, as hes been doing quite successfully.
    Really wish we could see the pre injury version of Mavididi again. This post injury Mav hasn't clicked at all. Very worrying, as he looked great earlier in the season.
    Kaikai I'm trying to keep on open mind on; I wouldn't be sad to see him dropped for Mav or Marshall though.

3-1 Bauer, Ajose and Reeves.

Yeah to call Zyro not interested is very harsh. Lumping the ball 40 yards forward for him to try to win headers against the Wimbledon and Bristol backlines aren't exactly what I call playing to his strengths.

I do think he probably needs a rest. Whether he'll get one is another story. But he went a year and a half without playing and has started six times in three weeks I believe. The question is do you rest him tomorrow or Tuesday? I'm tempted to say Tuesday because when we're at home and we can play football he's a real weapon.
  • edited April 2018

Scunthorpe are the perfect opponents really after the disappointing last 2 results AND performances, with their terrible form

I'm fairly confident they'll win tomorrow

Come on Killer, it's Charlton...
  • As Bowyer said, Scunthorpe will come here to attack and be a totally different proposition to Wimbledon. 3-1 Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Flying 10,000km and then heading straight to the match. Hoping to not be disappointed! 2-0
  • As Bowyer said, Scunthorpe will come here to attack and be a totally different proposition to Wimbledon. 3-1 Charlton.

Will they ?

I think it’s more likely they will come to frustrate us and try to nick something.

2 - 2

• come on chaps liven up 2-0 to the Addicks. Anfernee with the second
  • Business end of the season and it’s a must win game. Have the players hit the bottle? I suspect Bow will have them fired up after Tuesdays no show. Come on Charlton, don’t let us down
  • edited April 2018
    ross1 said:

The only difference between this Saturday and the last two games, is that Scunny need to win as well, so hopefully their defence will not be as packed and we may get a strike on target. Forever optimistic, I go for a 2-0 win, defence to stop making silly mistakes and keep a clean sheet

I suspect this will help us - it isn't the way to beat us but understandable. I'm not going to allow a win tomorrow to fill me with great confidence though - Tuesday night's performance rocked me to the core!

BTW - KaiKai is one of those players who will always flatter to deceive.

Will they ?

I think it’s more likely they will come to frustrate us and try to nick something.

2 - 2

If it is a draw it's more likely to be 2-2 instead of 0-0. They have to go for it as they want to get back in the top 6. They win they are above us.
  • 1-0 Aribo.
  • Back on track with a win.

Ajose and Magennis start up top and both score in a 2 - 1 win.
  • The 0-1 home defeat in 1963 was the second game I had seen,following a 3-0 win at home to Bury.
    Hope that record continues after the game tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018

dickplumb said:

Merry Christmas
  • dickplumb said:

What's the point of posting stuff like that, ya miserable sod!

• dickplumb said:

What's the point of posting stuff like that, ya miserable sod!

The point is I think it will be 2-0 to Scunthorpe. Of course I would like us to win, but I don't think we will. But you have got to remember I am the worst pundit ever.

• The Wimbledon game was so disappointing and after the match I felt our chances of play offs were over. Hope springs eternal and a win tomorrow will put us back in a great position. I just cannot believe after the last two games we will do that, 2-1 to Scunthorpe.
  • The time for the players to not turn up is now over, we have had a season of often abject performances punctuated with rare performances of skills and commitment (Plymouth, Northampton and Rotherham). This really is the last chance saloon and there is really no way back if they put in another Wimbledon style performance tomorrow even if other results don't go against us.

I want to hold on to this belief that there is a proper team hiding in there somewhere and go to Portsmouth with confidence that we can scrape our way out of the god-awful divison.

Please don't bottle it AGAIN!

1-0 Charlton (keeping the faith)
  • An anagram of Scunthorpe is Punches ROT. They had better not.
  • We've had four good performances out of five under BOWYER in his first managerial role . Pretty impressive I would say , another win tomorrow 2-0 .
  • An anagram of Scunthorpe is Punches ROT. They had better not.

Rememebr when teletext used to miss out letters so you would get Liverpoo or imagine the N missing from Arsenal or worse the S and H missing from from Scunthorpe.
  • Went to the Northampton game and although they are cannon fodder, we showed our class. Beating Rotherham was more of a test and I felt we were showing our ability to match another top side after the result against Plymouth. Scunthorpe have gone cold, but there is a team in there that can beat anyone when they turn up, so this game is a tough one, especially on the back of our poor performance against a so-called lesser opposition in Wimbledon. A win is essential, given the run in, so I'm hoping for 2-1.
  • Hope we win. At the start of the season I said I would take 2 friends and treat them to hospitality. One is a Surrey based Man Utd supporter (enough said), the other is a Scunthorpe fan who lives down here. Both he and I are talking down our respective team's chances but obviously each praying we come out on top.