Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is your experience of the RSPCA?

Comments

• Options
    The dogs bollocks ;o)
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited April 2018
    Work related. We were threatened with legal action by them for neglect of a couple of dogs that belonged to a client with Hungtindons disease.

We had no legal powers to enter the property because the client was deemed to have capacity at that time but, due to her illness, wouldn’t trust anyone so we asked them to help and take the animals away. They refused, told us it was our duty and they would prosecute us if we didn’t!

Fortunately, for the dogs, the client took a turn for the worse and was admitted to hospital so we managed to get entry under Sec 48 powers and managed to rescue both dogs.

I still recall the phone call to the local RSPCA inspector and his manner.

I cam across him a couple of years later and he was still a pompous arrogant ar*ehole. Only this time he was being shouted at by the old bill.

• Options
    A few years back, outside Euston Station, I found a young pigeon with a bruised eye trying to hide from other birds. He wasn't able to fly so I stuck him in my bag and phoned the RSPCA. They didn't seem interested in rescuing a pigeon but I persuaded them to send someone out to meet me and pigeon in the college library. I told the librarian he was coming without knowing that she was scared of birds (even when they are in bags). The bloke turned up eventually and took pigeon in a little bird box. So..... a reasonable experience, apart from feeling that a bird doesn't matter as much as other animals. However, many people at the animal rescue I used to work at had poor dealings with them.
  • Options

A few years back, outside Euston Station, I found a young pigeon with a bruised eye trying to hide from other birds. He wasn't able to fly so I stuck him in my bag and phoned the RSPCA. They didn't seem interested in rescuing a pigeon but I persuaded them to send someone out to meet me and pigeon in the college library. I told the librarian he was coming without knowing that she was scared of birds (even when they are in bags). The bloke turned up eventually and took pigeon in a little bird box. So..... a reasonable experience, apart from feeling that a bird doesn't matter as much as other animals. However, many people at the animal rescue I used to work at had poor dealings with them.

Shouldn't that have been for the RSPCB?

• Options

T_C_E said:

I was asked by a Shep rescue although not a volunteer to go a squat in Gillingham on the 29/12/12 to collect 5 Sheps as the council needed to board up the house. The rspca wouldn't go because of the Christmas holidays. How many of the rspca's "rehoming's" are actually made with no profit making breed related rescues. The rspca do not rehabilitate dogs that cannot be rehomed, there is only one end for them. I personally sponsor 5 Sheps that are in various stages of rehabilitation that live with people. What I'm trying say is ref: salaries is. How much does one person need to live comfortably? If you wish to work for a charity and then do it because you want to and not because it commands a huge wage.

If that's your opinion, after reading what I and others have said, then I can see we will have to agree to disagree.

Just one final point, what if no-one with the knowhow and experience is willing to take on the huge responsibility of running a high profile national charity organisation for just the living wage? What happens then? Get the tea lady to run it? :smile:
    Nothing wrong in different opinions.
    And, I know some organisations where the teaboys opinions carry a lot of weight. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Just before Christmas a Chihuhua puppy escaped from a van near us - gypsy breeder and despite me and a girl from our local Audi garage being close by at the time and trying to catch him we couldn't. He went through a fence to the railway lines. My wife put out the message through facebook and many local people tried to get him, there were multiple sightings but nobody could catch him.

The poor little thing was wary of humans and in danger from a) the cold, b) a main road c) the train lines and d) other animals like foxes. I and others did everything we could. I phoned the RSPCA three times and they couldn't be less interested - they said they only get involved if the dog has been caught. They couldn't supply us with a trap or give any help or advice. The local dog charity couldn't help - they had lost their only trap and were sympathetic and tried to advise at least and the council couldn't help. I and others spent hours outside but we needed a trap!

I pleaded with them and they just were not interested. I don't know what happened to that poor little creature, but I know they didn't help. So when you watch the programmes of the RSPCA officers rescuing dogs tracking them through woods etc... it is a load of rubbish.

It saddens me to say that, and I'm sure the RSPCA does a lot of good work, but it portrays an image that wasn't anything like my experience of them. It does feel a bit like one of those charities that has become so big that it has lost sight a bit of what it should be about!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

My parents rehomed a rescued a dog from them. Unfortunately the dog had many problems.

It would snarl at you when you entered the kitchen, not sure why just the kitchen it had free roam of the house & garden, was terrified of large women on the street, anyone with a stick, would hump your leg constantly & eventually turned on my at the time heavily pregnant sister. It then badly bit my sisters OH whilst he tried to get the dog away from her, then went for my Dad. I will be grateful if I don't hear the noises that were coming from the dog ever again in my life. There was a hell of a lot of blood.

When contacted the RSPCA didn't want to know. No help, no guidance, no support. My parents loved that dog & it broke their hearts to put him down but for obvious reasons we didn't feel safe around him.

If I was ever lucky enough to be in the position that I'm at home more during the day I'd go to the Dogs Trust, which I have heard nothing but good experiences. I hadn't lived without a dog until I moved out of my parents house.

This is unfortunately the gamble you take when re-homing a rescue dog. Whilst there are some well balanced dogs that are put out to rescue, the vast majority are there due to having issues. Whether these issues are from being abused or are just bad habits that have become ingrained, often it is incredibly difficult to re-train the dog and takes a hell of a lot of time and effort (and money in some cases).

I own a rescue dog, a Boxer, and she has severe behavioural challenges. Whilst we have many of them under control and she is almost unrecognisable to how she was when we first got her, she is still reactive around other dogs, which is probably something that will be an ongoing problem for a number of years.

We visited various places to find a dog, including the RSPCA, and in all honesty, after a visit to one of their rescue centres we were put off straight away. To us they appeared that they just wanted to get rid of the dogs at all costs and as quickly and hassle free as possible. When asking about any further support after we've taken a dog, the person looked at me as if I'd just slapped her. We couldn't wait to get out of there.
  • Options
    Super_Eddie_Youds was put off because they would not house a cat with someone who worked, West Country Addick because they couldn't wait to get rid of the dog at any cost...

I think they need to get some consistency in their policies #Dazzler21
  • Options
    I walked past an injured pigeon this morning that i obviously startled as it was trying to shield itself. I tried to move around it at a distance so it didn't get more panicked as it obviously couldn't fly or walk well and then I wondered who I could tell about that pigeon to come and help it, as i wasnt able to pick it up keep it safe until someone could come and help it. I did wonder about the RSPCA but didnt think they'd be interested in a pigeon. I'd genuinely be interested to know, and I hope that someone else that saw it struggling was able to help it. If I happen to see it on my way home i most definately would try to pick it up and take it with me and find someone to help it.
  • Options
    Really interesting reading, I'll have to see if I can shadow the call centre for a while.

I have already booked to go out with an inspector in the next few weeks.

Will report back what I see, hear and experience. No cameras, No press.

• Options
    We rescued a rabbit some years ago and requested advice as @Len\'s_little_girl was upset (she was about 8 at the time). The RSPCA couldn't give a toss and couldn't get me off the phone quick enough.

I've read all the stuff on this thread about paying to get the best people and in theory that sounds all well and good. However when a charity callously neglects its presumed raison d'etre in order to be a 'better business' as larger charities do (this problem is not just confined to the RSPCA in my experience) one wonders what it is all about.

Many years ago now a relative actually worked for the RSPCA at the Head Office in Horsham Sussex. This relative is an animal lover and joined for ideological reasons as much as needing a job. All I will say is that he stayed barely a year as he was so disillusioned by the complete disregard displayed for actually dealing with animal welfare.

Doesn't seem to have changed much reading the thread.

• Options

I've resisted patiently but.....

I visited the offices of the RSPCA today.
    It's tiny, you couldn't swing a cat in there.

That's so unfair...I thought my "the dogs bollocks" was funny but not one titter :0)
  • Options

My

This is unfortunately the gamble you take when re-homing a rescue dog. Whilst there are some well balanced dogs that are put out to rescue, the vast majority are there due to having issues. Whether these issues are from being abused or are just bad habits that have become ingrained, often it is incredibly difficult to re-train the dog and takes a hell of a lot of time and effort (and money in some cases).

I own a rescue dog, a Boxer, and she has severe behavioural challenges. Whilst we have many of them under control and she is almost unrecognisable to how she was when we first got her, she is still reactive around other dogs, which is probably something that will be an ongoing problem for a number of years.

We visited various places to find a dog, including the RSPCA, and in all honesty, after a visit to one of their rescue centres we were put off straight away. To us they appeared that they just wanted to get rid of the dogs at all costs and as quickly and hassle free as possible. When asking about any further support after we've taken a dog, the person looked at me as if I'd just slapped her. We couldn't wait to get out of there.
    Out of all their rescue dogs over the years Bow was the only one they couldn't help.

My Clyde was the most challenging, lovable, extremely intelligent rogue. He was 4 when we rescued him. It took many years for him to get over his issues but we wouldn't have changed a thing. Could fill a book with the mischief he got up to & my Dad's attempts at outwitting him.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Hmm, so whose worst?
    The RSPCA or RD?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Really interesting reading, I'll have to see if I can shadow the call centre for a while.

I have already booked to go out with an inspector in the next few weeks.

Will report back what I see, hear and experience. No cameras, No press.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My daughter called the RSPCA due to a mange ridden, injured fox that had taken up residence under her garden bench.

The RSPCA said they'd only attend if she could set a trap and capture the animal. After researching on line my daughter called the Fox Project. A man turned up within hours, captured the animal and spoke with great optimism about the chances of a full recovery. He also asked if the fox could be released after recuperation into her garden, my daughter readily agreed to this.

She never heard from the Fox Project again, but I told my daughter that she was probably out when the man returned. He would most likely have released the fox into the graveyard behind. She (the fox) probably went on to have cubs and live a very, very happy life :smile:

http://foxproject.org.uk/
  • Options
    I suppose one thing to keep in mind is 1 call every 40 seconds for 1 inspector every 179 miles... I will have to find out if there's some prioritisation process.

Given these stories I am fairly certain there must be.
  • Options

Shouldn't that have been for the RSPCB?

Just for the sake of clarity, the RSPB is a conservation charity, with reserves and the like. It does NOT have bird rescue facilities or animal hospitals. Generally it recommends the RSPCA but stresses that a bird injured by a cat would likely die quickly from septicaemia from the cat's teeth bacteria if not treated promptly by a Vet (which I, for one, didn't know about). That would mean it would be down to the finder to take action.

But this lot have some helpful stuff on their web site with contact details of wildlife rescue centres, etc helpwildlife.co.uk/
  • Options
    This in yesterday's news:

Cornwall woman jailed for slamming dog on patio http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-43746404
  • Options
    My cousin's a vet, any pigeon that gets brought in is put instantly to sleep. Sounds harsh but those stats that Dazzler put up are alarming. A call every 27 seconds! The RSPCA aren't the emergency services and don't apparently have great resources, so it sounds like they spend all day telling people that they won't help with wild animals that appear to be unwell.

Trouble is, that's what people expect them to do.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

My cousin's a vet, any pigeon that gets brought in is put instantly to sleep. Sounds harsh but those stats that Dazzler put up are alarming. A call every 27 seconds! The RSPCA aren't the emergency services and don't apparently have great resources, so it sounds like they spend all day telling people that they won't help with wild animals that appear to be unwell.

Judging from some of the comments on here, maybe they need to clarify what they do and don't do.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I think the problem may be that they are happy to give people that impression when they want donations.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I rung them (admittedly about 15 years ago) after finding a dog locked in a car, without ventilation, on the open roof of a multi-story car park, on a baking hot summers day. They were not interested and it amazed me quite frankly.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

That was my experience of taking a bird to the vets. The receptionist took it, said she'd show the vet and came back not two minutes later saying it had been put down - didn't even ask us first. I don't know what the prognosis would have been of a recovery, at the time I felt miffed that we could have given it a chance maybe it just stops unnecessary suffering though.