Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: AFC Wimbledon vs Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Why all this passing backwards, sideways, backwards, we gave 3 assists for their goal, its all right keeping possession but you don't do anything with the ball. Have seen us so many times put ourselves under pressure going backwards, we pass back from the halfway line. what does that create. We have free kicks in the oppositions half & instead of putting the ball in their box for a header or a knockdown, no the free kick goes backwards and ends up with our keeper. What is this nonsense of keeping possession and not creating, we are not Barcelona on the ball.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    "Gillingham aren't exactly a bogey team...

they did the double over us this season yet they've not beaten us at the Valley since 1929"

Give it time.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Can't have been great for Ajose's confidence. He's been a fantastic team player for the past few games and then gets dropped for a loanee in Mavididi who has offered fuck all since he's come back from injury, and by the sounds of things did sweet FA last night too.

Hopefully Nicky was just being rested for our now HUGE upcoming matches against sides that actually try to play football.
  • Options
    Want to cheer yourselves up? Have a look at Millwalls run in.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    From the Newshopper, Bowyer's reaction to below par Zyro;

Charlton caretaker manager Lee Bowyer was not happy with Michal Zyro’s performance against AFC Wimbledon.

Bowyer suffered his first defeat in the Valley hotseat after Lyle Taylor capitalised on a Patrick Bauer error to score the game’s only goal last night.

Wolves loanee Zyro and Stephy Mavididi were the preferred pairing up front as the Addicks failed to register a shot on target.

Bowyer told News Shopper: “Their two centre-halves out fought our two strikers. Taylor was backing in, he was strong, knocking our defenders out of the way.

“I thought our two centre-halves played well against him, but still, he didn't lose the ball.

“When you don't lose the ball and you're in and around the 18-yard box, you’re going to have shots, you’re going to create chances. Unfortunately our front men didn't do that.”

Josh Magennis and Nicky Ajose were brought on in the second-half to boost Charlton’s attack, but Wimbledon’s defence stood firm.

Zyro has been one of the star performers under Bowyer, scoring twice in five games.

But the striker, who has played limited football in the past two years due to a knee fracture, was off the pace at Kingsmeadow.

When asked if he wanted Zyro to be more aggressive against Wimbledon, Bowyer said: “Yeah, for sure. You have to hold the ball up, that’s what you're there for.

“You're there to score goals but if you don't hold the ball up, you don't get out because the opposition gets the ball back and they're attacking your team.

“Every time you go forward and the ball goes into your strikers, they have to hold it up. Taylor did and that was the difference.

“I’ve told Michal I’m not happy with his performance. He’s been outstanding for me, but his performance wasn't good enough. I’ll be honest with him. I’ve been honest with all the players in there and I always will be.

“At the end of the day, if you play well I’ll tell you you've played well, if you play badly I’ll tell you you’ve played badly. You're men and you have to take it. You can’t just take the praise and not take the criticism.”

Zyro has played 180 minutes of football in the space of three days.

And Bowyer admits fatigue could have played a part in his poor display.

He added: “Michal hasn't played any football this season, maybe he was just physically tired. That could be a factor.

“Maybe I shouldn't have played him for 90 minutes on Saturday [against Bristol Rovers], but when I left him on, I know he can take a chance and finish. Maybe that was my mistake, leaving him on for the full 90 minutes.

“In the first three games, I was fortunate enough to bring him off with 20 minutes to go so that he was ready for the next game.

“But when you’re not winning and you need a goal to win, you want to keep a striker on that can take a chance.”
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

One man team......no Fosu no chance!

It’s increasingly starting to look like that performance wise, thoughit’s worth remembering that the main issue in the last two games was conceding goals from individual mistakes
    That's the trouble mate all players make mistakes but goalkeeping or last line defender errors get more criticism than midfielders or strikers who are given several chances before they get pilloried.

Apart from Reeves and possibly JFC the other four offered little attacking threat hence zero shots on target. You can't go to places like Kingsmeadow with half the team not showing up, add to that a RB with no attacking intent and you get turned over. If it goes down to the wire at Rochdale expect much of the same resistance from the oppo. :disappointed: .
    Exactly. What about the 'errors' made by JFC and the inept KaiKai in planting free kicks yards over the bar? One goal over the last 2 games is not good, regardless of what the defence does...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    More from Bowyer on the set back;

“It was very tough. We knew what it was going to be like. It’s the way they play, we prepared for that and they did what they do. They competed better than us, we competed, they were just a lot stronger than us. The goal is a mistake, same as Saturday.

“We’ve dropped more points today from a mistake and you can’t control that. But look at the positive side of it, we’re still in sixth and it’s still in our hands.

“We’re still in sixth with five games to go. It’s all in our hands. It is what it is, but now we can’t afford any more slip-ups. We have to win at home on Saturday against Scunthorpe.

“We’ll just keep working hard to make sure we end up with the goal [promotion] that I’ve said we’ll get all along.

“It just wasn't a very good performance. Did we deserve anything? Probably not. It’s nowhere near what we've been showing since I’ve been in charge. It’s disappointing.

“We've got five games to go and I’m still confident. I said to the lads ‘put this behind you’. We’ll come in Thursday, stick together and start getting ready for Saturday’s game.”
  • Options

If Bowyer wants to make it as a manager, he'll need to learn how to react and counter things during a match a bit more.

Very disappointing. Gave them benefit of the doubt after the weekend but that was very poor tonight. No excuses. Outhought, outfought and outplayed.

Wasn't there and watched this on line instead - but agree with the comments. Very poor display.

How Bowyer (and Jackson) react to this will determine whether we make the play-offs.
  • Options
    Watched online, it was a very disappointing display, after going to the Northampton game I was feeling very optimistic, but it seemed like a different team had turned up. There just seemed a total lack of urgency, even when we supposed to be chasing the game, and like has already been said, the passing sideways and backwards in defence just seems to invite pressure. I appreciate we want to play good football rather than hoofball but if we keep doing it and opposition strikers keep chasing, then eventually, at our standard of football, a mistake will be made. Impressed with Reeves again and Jake FC, confused by some of the substitutions, but maybe there were other things going on which we don't know about. One bad performance doesn't make us a bad team, just as 3 good ones didn't make us world beaters. Play offs are going to be difficult now, but not beyond hope. Overall a disappointing day, especially as they've finally billed me for Valley Pass, thought I had got away with that
  • Options
    Its tough I know, but we need to remember that we have a manager and coach that are essentially cutting their teeth at this level of the game.

In all honesty they are going to need time to get things right more often than not.

We just have to hope they get a bit of luck and we really need to get behind them. There is no alternative at this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Just about all the criticisms of the team under Robinson from January to March could be made about the team, and the squad, yesterday:
    Lack of balls, lack of physicality, an unbalanced squad. I have a horrible feeling the three wins under Bowyer may have been a blip. Pampering over cracks if you like.

But whereas Robinson didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, perhaps Bowyer will.

Konsa isn't a right back - although I'm sure Dijksteel (also not an RB but better than Konsa going forward) was being rested.
    Zyro has been overused, but Bowyer knows it at least.
    Kaikai isn't as good as we might have expected from a Prem loan.
    442 is fine, but it's not the only formation. Let's not become predictable again.

But bottom line is we have plenty a fancy ball players, but lack the battlers to take on the Wimbledons of this world on poor pitches. Doesn't matter why, it's what we're going to do about it over the next five matches that count. A convincing win against Scunthorpe would be a massive boost. Lose, and I think it would be game over.
  • Options

iainment said:

I blame Robinson and Duchatelet and the weather and the date and the pants I chose today.

So do we mate!!
    I dread to think what websites you’ve been on to find that!
  • Options
    Enjoyed that our chant to them "MK Dons, MK Dons, MK Dons..." was replied to with:

"You're just a shit Crystal Palace"
    and
    "Belgium, Belgium..."

You win this one, AFC, you win this one.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Just about all the criticisms of the team under Robinson from January to March could be made about the team, and the squad, yesterday:
    Lack of balls, lack of physicality, an unbalanced squad. I have a horrible feeling the three wins under Bowyer were a blip.

But whereas Robinson didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, perhaps Bowyer will.

Konsa isn't a right back - although I'm sure Dijksteel (also not an RB but better than Konsa going forward) was being rested.
    442 is fine, but it's not the only formation. Let's not become predictable again.

But bottom line is we have plenty a fancy ball players, but lack the battlers to take on the Wimbledons of this world on poor pitches. Doesn't matter why, it's what we're going to do about it over the next five matches that count. A convincing win against Scunthorpe would be a massive boost. Lose, and I think it would be game over.

I can't be the only one who thinks Konsa hasn't lived up to expectations this season. I think its because he really doesn't look happy playing for us anymore.
    I personally think Konsa is over rated.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Konsa certainly has the ability in his age group otherwise he wouldn't be playing for England but stepping up to the demands of L1 football needs hunger and desire apart from ability.

He's still developing but with one eye on a move to the promised land with stadiums and pitches a far cry from Kingsmeadow last night it is more a case of being in the right frame of mind for me. Add to that CBs are usually like fish out of water being asked to play full back with a reluctance to want to drive forward and there you have it for the lad.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Lack of balls, lack of physicality, an unbalanced squad. I have a horrible feeling the three wins under Bowyer were a blip.

I can't be the only one who thinks Konsa hasn't lived up to expectations this season. I think its because he really doesn't look happy playing for us anymore.
    I personally think Konsa is over rated.

Agreed, for all the talk that RB isn't his natural position, when Gomez played at full back for us he looked superb whereas Konsa as a footballer looks more limited.

A decent player yes, but I suspect that the success of Gomez has led to Konsa being over rated
  • Options
    there fans last night spent more time concentrating on singing about Belgium than anything else.
  • Options

there fans last night spent more time concentrating on singing about Belgium than anything else.

What goes round comes round......................scrap that i've been saying that about the Spanners for ages :smirk: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

What goes round comes round......................scrap that i've been saying that about the Spanners for ages :smirk: .
    Haha my chant of winkleman didn’t go down too well with a Charlton fan telling me I was out of order, on the subject of fans has to be a 1st when a Charlton fan came with a fold up bike ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Must admit, really like what Bowyer says post match so far

At least he's honest and offers a decent summary. Makes a change from KR. The response on Saturday will be Interesting.
  • Options
    I know Sarr ranges from sublime to ridiculous and in most games I wouldn’t want to risk him, but last night seemed like an ideal time to throw him into the fray

I see he wasn’t on the bench. Injured?
  • Options

Said all season it would be decided at Rochdale.

Yep, to see if Rochdale survive or not.
  • Options
    OH, and our free kicks...ffs.
    Has the whole team been to the Nicky Bailey school for dead ball techniques?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Only got to watch a couple of mins early in the second half but unless my eyes deceived me, Zyro did one of the worst bottle job pull out of a tackle that I’ve ever seen.

Did anyone else see that?

Yeah. They roughed our lot up and we didn’t like it.
    But as others have said, home game Next is ideal. Win them all and we’re play offs. I’d question if we’re good enough but hey ho
    Two final thoughts...
    We can’t play like this at Pompey
    We badly miss Fosu
    Not the first one to make the point - to get out of this league you have to be physically strong and have a bit of nastiness too - just look at Wigan, they have good players but I watched them bully us off the park early in the season and came away convinced they were going up. To be fair we have occasionally got stuck in (Plymouth being an example) but I'm afraid all too often we just don't cut it physically.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Valley11 said:

Only got to watch a couple of mins early in the second half but unless my eyes deceived me, Zyro did one of the worst bottle job pull out of a tackle that I’ve ever seen.

Did anyone else see that?

Yeah. They roughed our lot up and we didn’t like it.
    But as others have said, home game Next is ideal. Win them all and we’re play offs. I’d question if we’re good enough but hey ho
    Two final thoughts...
    We can’t play like this at Pompey
    We badly miss Fosu
    Not the first one to make the point - to get out of this league you have to be physically strong and have a bit of nastiness too - just look at Wigan, they have good players but I watched them bully us off the park early in the season and came away convinced they were going up. To be fair we have occasionally got stuck in (Plymouth being an example) but I'm afraid all too often we just don't cut it physically.
    The last time I can remember is Youds and Mills giving it 'some'
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    RedChaser said:

More from Bowyer on the set back;

“It was very tough. We knew what it was going to be like. It’s the way they play, we prepared for that and they did what they do. They competed better than us, we competed, they were just a lot stronger than us. The goal is a mistake, same as Saturday.

“We’ve dropped more points today from a mistake and you can’t control that. But look at the positive side of it, we’re still in sixth and it’s still in our hands.

“We’re still in sixth with five games to go. It’s all in our hands. It is what it is, but now we can’t afford any more slip-ups. We have to win at home on Saturday against Scunthorpe.

“We’ll just keep working hard to make sure we end up with the goal [promotion] that I’ve said we’ll get all along.

“It just wasn't a very good performance. Did we deserve anything? Probably not. It’s nowhere near what we've been showing since I’ve been in charge. It’s disappointing.

“We've got five games to go and I’m still confident. I said to the lads ‘put this behind you’. We’ll come in Thursday, stick together and start getting ready for Saturday’s game.”

And practice some effing free-kicks too.!