Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your sporting heroes as a kid

13»

Comments

• Options
    Colin Powell
    Chris Evert
    Stuart Pearson
  • Options
    Colin Powell
    Bjorn Borg
    James Hunt
    Brendan Foster
    Red Rum
    Ali
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer
    Andy Hunt

Ronnie O’Sullivan

Glenn McGrath

Sprinter Sacre

• Options
    Seve
    Ali
    Kevin Keegan
    Daley Thompson
    Ray Clemence
    Jonjo O Neill
    Ian Botham
    Red Rum
    Sea Pigeon
    Killer
    Nicky Johns
  • Options
    Killer
    Bob Willis
    Derek Underwood
  • Options
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Eddie Firmani
    Stuart Leary
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I was always Kevin Keegan playing against my Brother, unless it was a penalty then I became Peter Lorimer!
    Barry Sheene - Lived near Crawley and was always at the carnival and various fetes
    Harvey someone - Showjumping was always on telly
    Dave Boy Green

You're thinking of Harvey Smith
    (Younger viewers may not know).

The (rude) V sign was commonly known as a Harvey Smith following the one he waved at the judges at the British Show Jumping Derby 1971. Harvey protested it was a straight forward Churchill salute, V for victory. However, the canny judges took note that he was displaying the back of his hand to them ... he lost his two grand prize money, it caused quite a furore in the press.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Preben Elkjaer. Not your typical footballer. He also enjoyed a smoke during halftime.
    His goal against Belgium (Euro 1984) got me into football. As an 8 year old, I remember losing it completely, when he went past two Belgian defenders (with a bit of luck) before chipping it over Jean Marie Pfaff. Denmark had been trailing 2-0, but with 5 mins to go, he scored the winner (3-2), which took Denmark to the semifinal in their first ever finals tournament.
    https://youtu.be/FqD5OVOt1pE
  • Options
    Geoff Boycott and David Bairstow, with a side order of Chris Old.
  • Options
    Killer
    George Best
    John Snow
    Alan Knott
    Brian Jacks
    McEnroe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ray Tracey
    Derek Hales
    Colin Powell

Jimmy Greaves
    George Best

Graham Hill
    Franz Klammer
  • Options
    David Whyte
    Chris Waddle
    Paul Gascoigne
    Gary Lineker

Nigel Benn
    Frank Bruno

Jimmy White
  • Options
    Kevin Keegan
    Malcolm McDonald (when very young)
    Cyrille Regis
    Glenn Hoddle

Geoff Boycott
    Ian Botham
    Graham Dilley (Dartford's own!)

John McEnroe
    Probably Coe, Ovett and Cram too
    Bill Beaumont
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Banks, Cohen, Wilson, Stiles, Charlton(J), Moore, Ball, Hunt, Charlton(R), Hurst, Peters.

For a 6-year-old it all started with them. I am blessed to have been born at the right time to have that team set me on the road to a lifetimes enjoyment watching the game. And the great thing about that XI is, that as the years have gone by, they have all been gentleman and behaved in a humble manner.

Humility and integrity are two of the best qualities you can have - that team had a lot of class.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Danepak said:

Preben Elkjaer. Not your typical footballer. He also enjoyed a smoke during halftime.
    His goal against Belgium (Euro 1984) got me into football. As an 8 year old, I remember losing it completely, when he went past two Belgian defenders (with a bit of luck) before chipping it over Jean Marie Pfaff. Denmark had been trailing 2-0, but with 5 mins to go, he scored the winner (3-2), which took Denmark to the semifinal in their first ever finals tournament.

Here's the goal (at 02:10):
    http://dai.ly/xyq4rr
  • Options
    Tony Greig
    David Gower
    Derek Randall
    Sandy Lyle
    Emlyn Hughes
    Pat Jennings
  • Options
    Bazzer Sheene - Put Motorcycling in the public domain , everyone knows Barry Sheene , Splash It All Over.
    Mike Hailwood - One of the Greatest Comebacks in Motorsport , After 11 years out of the sport , came back and won the Formula 1 TT race .
    Steve Webster - 10 Times world Motorcycle Sidecar Champion .
  • Options
    Ian Botham
  • Options
    Derek Hales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WG Grace
    Jack Dempsey
    Jessie Owen
    Dixie Dean
    Roy Race
  • Options
    Loved Jackson, Gunnel, Christie and Edwards in the athletics. And Michael Johnson, we was insane.

Lennox Lewis, Prince Naseem, and, erm, Frank Bruno.

Less bothered about football. Liked Linear and Platt for England, don't remember much before 1990 world cup
  • Options
    Sam Bartram and Godfrey Evans - all time favourites.

Special mention though of the Surrey team under Stuart Surridge.

And Randolph Turpin and his seemingly impossible decision over the great Sugar Ray Robinson.

And Frank Tyson dealing to the Australians on their own turf.

Many great sporting moments. Saw Gordon Piries final race at the White City which he narrowly won and was at Wembley to see Billy Wright's 100th international, a 1-0 victory over Scotland.
  • Options
    Jimmy Greaves - the fastest man alive over 2 yards.

David Hemery - following his 400 metre win by a country mile at the Mexico Olympics in World record time. It was distinctly unusual at this time for a British athlete to medal in a major championship. Hemery went on to win BBC sports personality of the year and successfully turned his hand to the very popular Superstars competition, winning in 73 and 76. (In 83 he won the past masters competition).

I happened to be in Crystal Palace when Hemery emerged from a gym. He was immediately surrounded by everyone in the corridor, to which he seemed a bit embarrassed. He politely answered questions and signed autographs, a really decent bloke. When he finally had to leave there was a spontaneous round of applause.