Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Commonwealth Games 2018

2»

Comments

• Riviera said:

Does anyone know the reason why we don't compete as GB like in the world championships/Olympics etc? I don't really get it.

Seems to me Australia are always going to dominate the whole thing if you are going to split one country into 4?

GB is four countries stuck together.
    To be pedantic, GB is 3 countries (England, Scotland, Wales). UK is 4 (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).

Thats why we compete as Great Britain & Northern Ireland.
    And in the Olympics, competitors from N Ireland can choose between Team GB and the Irish Republic...
    Can do that in Football as well cant they?
  • Riviera said:

Does anyone know the reason why we don't compete as GB like in the world championships/Olympics etc? I don't really get it.

Seems to me Australia are always going to dominate the whole thing if you are going to split one country into 4?

To be pedantic, GB is 3 countries (England, Scotland, Wales). UK is 4 (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland).

And in the Olympics, competitors from N Ireland can choose between Team GB and the Irish Republic...
    Can do that in Football as well cant they?
    Yes. Hardly any catholics play for N Ireland now
  • Riviera said:

Never knew that
  • Riviera said:

Never knew that
    Rory McIlroy did.