Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Freesat T.V

I am thinking canceling SKY T.V and having Freesat any advice please pros and cons.

Comments

• Derek1952 said:

I am thinking canceling SKY T.V and having Freesat any advice please pros and cons.

You’ll miss Sky.

• edited April 8
    I have a Freesat box, as my estate has communal satellite dishes and at the time Freeview reception wasn't good

Freesat is just an alternative to normal Freeview really, with mainly the same channels (I've never had Sky but do have BT Sport via my internet package)
  • edited April 8
    I've gone from Sky to NowTV recently. It's a lousy service for channel surfing but reasonably good for streaming TV shows cheaply (you can get months of entertainment channels free when you sign up and there's always an offers on). The hardware costs are much cheaper than Freesat too.
  • I have freesat

Derek1952 said:

You’ll miss Sky.

But this is true!
  • Thanks ever one. probably will keep SKY while finances allow.
  • Derek1952 said:

You’ll miss Sky.

Do people still watch sky ? I thought everybody binge-watched watched series in Netflix and amazon these days
  • edited April 8

Derek1952 said:

You’ll miss Sky.

Do people still watch sky ? I thought everybody binge-watched watched series in Netflix and amazon these days
    No, Terraium TV, everything Sky shows but freeeeeeeeee!!!!
  • I have Freesat but I live abroad. I don't miss Sky for a nano-second, apart from the box and programme guide, which is far superior to the Humax/Freesat combo. Depends what you want to watch, I guess.
  • Have had Freesat for the last 18 months or so and don't miss being ripped off by Sky at all. Certainly don't miss the regular letters from them, telling me that this part of my package was being increased in price, which then gets followed by another letter saying that a different part of the package was being increased.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 9
    @Derek1952 Be careful re Freesat. (Which has been my major platform for some while.) They have recently had an issue with Channel 4. C4 have refused to pay the increased charges for being on the Freesat guide and have removed C4 HD and the All 4 player from the platform. (C4 blurry vision is still there.) So if that's a channel you watch frequently.....

in addition, for example, ITV 2, 3 & 4 are in HD behind the Sky paywall but only in blurry vision on Freesat. (Which is a joint partnership between the BBC and ITV - go figure.)

It seems to me that some TV manufacturers have seen this as the beginning of the end for Freesat. Perhaps as evidenced by this highly discounted - £920 off which makes it less than half price - Samsung which has twin Freesat tuners built in. https://currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-qe55q6famt-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-10171621-pdt.html

It will be sad if it fails but I wouldn't be surprised. particularly with more and more stuff available via internet.
  • Don't buy a Freesat box. Just cancel your Sky subscription and carry on watching the free channels on your old Sky box.
  • Stig said:

Don't buy a Freesat box. Just cancel your Sky subscription and carry on watching the free channels on your old Sky box.

That's okay as long as you don't want to record anything. Worth spending a couple of hundred quid to get a proper Freesat box with record/on demand features. With the amount that Sky charges these days you'd be better off within a few months.
  • Stig said:

Don't buy a Freesat box. Just cancel your Sky subscription and carry on watching the free channels on your old Sky box.

That's okay as long as you don't want to record anything. Worth spending a couple of hundred quid to get a proper Freesat box with record/on demand features. With the amount that Sky charges these days you'd be better off within a few months.
    I was thinking of doing this myself as my sky subscription has hit £114 a month including two multi-room subscriptions, phone and fibre broadband. And, that's without movies and sports!

We have been monitoring what we have been watching and apart form The Walking Dead, we mainly stick to the five terrestrial channels. Freeview do recorders for a reasonable price, but I will need an outdoor ariel installed in order to get Freeview as I only have a satellite dish at the moment.
  • All I want SKY for is Local News BBC North/Scotland,and to watch Scottish Football on BBC1 or 2.I still want catch up and record,so if I can get this witout SKY OK. At present Iam having problems with HD SKY box,and card. I do not watch any box sets or films only TCM and Talking Pictures.
  • Stig said:

I was thinking of doing this myself as my sky subscription has hit £114 a month including two multi-room subscriptions, phone and fibre broadband. And, that's without movies and sports!

We have been monitoring what we have been watching and apart form The Walking Dead, we mainly stick to the five terrestrial channels. Freeview do recorders for a reasonable price, but I will need an outdoor ariel installed in order to get Freeview as I only have a satellite dish at the moment.
    That's the beauty with Freesat, it just replaces your Sky box and no need for any aerial.
    I've also got a Fire Stick, which I use to watch things such as TWD.
  • But if @cafcfan is correct, Freesat may be obsolete soon?
  • But if @cafcfan is correct, Freesat may be obsolete soon?

I think it's still a wait and see situation and I certainly don't think it will be soon. (Don't forget that its primary and original purpose was to provide a service to remote communities with poor terrestrial TV reception.) But if that means we en masse hold off on buying new kit because of the uncertainty, that might well be the end: after all, if there's no profit in providing the tuners no one will make them. See more here: https://pocket-lint.com/tv/news/143687-beginning-of-the-end-for-freesat-channel-4-pulls-hd-channel-and-all4-catch-up-from-platform
  • cafcfan said:

But if @cafcfan is correct, Freesat may be obsolete soon?

I think it's still a wait and see situation and I certainly don't think it will be soon. (Don't forget that its primary and original purpose was to provide a service to remote communities with poor terrestrial TV reception.) But if that means we en masse hold off on buying new kit because of the uncertainty, that might well be the end: after all, if there's no profit in providing the tuners no one will make them. See more here: https://pocket-lint.com/tv/news/143687-beginning-of-the-end-for-freesat-channel-4-pulls-hd-channel-and-all4-catch-up-from-platform
    Looks to me like a negotiation breakdown, so it ought to be resolvable, unless Freesat is run by fools. got to say that I don't have any problem with the C4 picture, at least watching C4 News in the last few days, and also recording Our Kind of Traitor 3-4 weeks ago.

• cafcfan said:

I imagine most people watch Freeset through a set top box/recorder anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 9
    Stig said:

Maybe don't need a box at all. Depends on the TV manufacturer. many (most/all?) LG TVs come with a Freeview HD AND Freesat HD tuner built-in but most punters don't even know the latter exists! (Which is not surprising as LG don't bother mentioning it on the packaging!) Freesat is tiny really 1.16mn households compared with 18.65mn terrestrial, 8.83mn Sky and 4.14mn cable. Even viewers of international satellite eg Polsat is higher!

cafcfan said:

Perhaps but many TVs have a built-in tuner. The more modern versions have twin tuners and you can just record to any old hard drive via USB and don't need a set-top box at all.
  • cafcfan said:

Stig said:

Maybe don't need a box at all. Depends on the TV manufacturer. many (most/all?) LG TVs come with a Freeview HD AND Freesat HD tuner built-in but most punters don't even know the latter exists! (Which is not surprising as LG don't bother mentioning it on the packaging!) Freesat is tiny really 1.16mn households compared with 18.65mn terrestrial, 8.83mn Sky and 4.14mn cable. Even viewers of international satellite eg Polsat is higher!

cafcfan said:

Perhaps but many TVs have a built-in tuner. The more modern versions have twin tuners and you can just record to any old hard drive via USB and don't need a set-top box at all.
    I have an LG TV and haven't seen a freesat tuner. I will still need a box to record though
  • Stig said:

Ouch , i thought i was paying a lot!
  • cafcfan said:

Stig said:

cafcfan said:

I have an LG TV and haven't seen a freesat tuner. I will still need a box to record though
    Read this first: https://freesat.co.uk/help/setting-freesat-lg-tvs/
  • Thanks, I will give that a try. Although it does say that newer models will require both terrestrial and satellite tuners to be connected and I have only a satellite tuner.
  • Thanks, I will give that a try. Although it does say that newer models will require both terrestrial and satellite tuners to be connected and I have only a satellite tuner.

Cool. Let us know how you get on.
  • I've got this, paid £30 for a year and I get every channel you can get

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170851840155849/
  • edited April 9
    Stig said:

Sky absolutely take the piss when it comes to using your Sky box as a Freesat+ box. They claim you own the box, but then insist on charging (£10 a month) for a service they don't provide on a piece of equipment they don't own.
  • I cancelled Sky but still use their boxes for the free to air channels. A pity there is no way to revive the Sky box so that it can record once more, I too need to buy a Freesat box/recorder.