Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• Options
    Agreed, we need to replace him. He's not been very good at all but he is another body and has plenty of League 1 experience.

Personally I still believe this quote proves that somebody else will have to leave before we sign a striker. My money is still on Billy Clarke, but might be Marshall.
  • Options
    I don't think loaning Clarke out for the rest of the season is a bad idea, he will clearly take some time to get back up to speed and we can't really afford to have any passengers in these big games coming up
  • Options
    Good need that he’s gone, as I said earlier I think it best for him and, depending on the wage contributions we have to make, it’s good for us too.

Now if we can bring another striker in without losing anyone significant then it will have been a good window that sets us up nicely for the run in.
  • Options

Charlton Athletic FC
    ‏Verified account

@CAFCofficial
    16m16 minutes ago

BREAKING NEWS: We are delighted to announce that @CAFCofficial striker Nicky Ajose has joined the #Stags on loan until the end of the season. ✍

That's how I first read it ..... (!) :smile:

• Options
    Has to be a new striker coming in surely!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Now Ajose's gone, who can we slag off now? :neutral:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    David Flitcroft, Stags' manager:
    “He wants to come here, make games and score goals. His quality in his finishing, intelligence in and around the pitch and movement is fantastic."

That's what we all thought too. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
  • Options

Bowyer said: “There is no rush to replace Nicky at the moment. Like we’ve done all the way through in the summer and in January, if we are going to replace him with somebody, then it would have to be the right person that suits the group we have.

Bowyer clearly wants to dampen down expectations, but I'd be staggered if him and Gallen didn't have several targets in mind.

Ajose played pretty well in the cup games against Mansfield, I imagine that brought him to their attention. Potentially a good move for him
  • Options
    Dont particularly rate Ajose, but I am worried this is a repeat of the Novak situation - where we are left scraping the barrel at the end of the transfer window to get a striker in. If Taylor or Grant get injured it means we will need to start league games with Reeco up top - he certainly does not look ready to me.
  • Options
    Think Reeco could possibly stand-in for Taylor as he appears to be able to hold the ball up and is tall and reasonably quick - but lacking in experience and finesse. Not sure we have a replacement for Grant who has a different game and I do not think we can rely on Vetokele. Not only is he only "due back" in February - even if he makes that he will be incredibly rusty and how long before he gets crocked again. So - yes - need another striker and suspect that, whatever LB says, he is looking around.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    cafc4life said:

He may be shite but still needs replacing. I won’t be happy if we’ve let him go and fail to replace him with even just a loan

Yeah, not always easy to find a short-term, experienced, striker on the cheap who's scored a few goals at this level and who's happy enough coming off the bench. Best bet is someone who's back from injury and needs to prove fitness from a higher level (e.g. Zyro), but then you've got another possibly injury-prone squad member - or someone out of favour elsewhere but has a decent record in League 1... basically another club's Ajose without the wage and expectations.

They don't need to be top drawer, ultimately - but RHF is only one injury from starting for us now, which is a bit of a step down in terms of proven goalscoring from Grant and Taylor. No disrespect to RHF, more just that Taylor and KAG are on fire.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    I was rather hoping we could rise above slagging off our own players?

Is any form of criticism acceptable?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    People have been at it with Pratley already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never done it for me if I'm honest. Not sad to see him go & I think LB's comments about not replacing him YET is more for his benefit......he could hardly say we are now bringing in x.

What we have seen with LB & Gannen is that they know who they want......and are usually pretty good. LB knows we can't go through the rest of the season with just the 4 remaining strikers.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel

Is any form of criticism acceptable?
    Of course.

Some people are constructive with their criticism. Good.
    Others are just blindly hostile or looking for the goat which scapes.

Or whatever.

• Options
    Good signing for Mansfield.
  • Options
    Should have insisted on a swap for CJ Hamilton
  • Options

Good signing for Mansfield.

I reckon so too.

And I hope it works out for Ajose. He must be desperate to get a run of games.
    He needs to earn a new contract next season.

• Options

Decent team are Mansfield so Ajose should get a few chances.

As he's out of contract in the summer that is goodbye Nicky.

Shame it never worked out but you missed a lot of chances under Slade, didn't fit Robinson's system and were kept out under Bowyer by Grant and Taylor.

For all Bowyer's nice words I'd bet he's glad to see Ajose gone to as it frees up some of his wages for Eise or someone else.

They are 5th in league two!!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Don't worry, a suitable candidate will come along soon!

• Options

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    People have been at it with Pratley already.
    LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    Definite undercurrent of people wanting to slag Grant off in my opinion.

They can't say too much just now because 13 league goals (just 2 penalties) is hard to argue with and speaks for itself.

Nevertheless the Shrewsbury thread shows the eagerness to home in on the chances he missed rather than emphasise his contribution towards terrifying their defence in a comfortable 3-0 victory.
    Pratley is a good call, I’ll actually put him in at 1. Grant is only a slight dip in form away from getting slagged off, if he hadn’t have scored that penalty I think the knives would be getting sharpened already.

Updated table

1. Pratley
    2. Marshall
    3. Phillips
    4. Djiksteel
    5. Grant
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel

Nah