Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• KAG will get his chance in the pre-season build up to show how he has improved.

He'll know it's his make or break chance.
    Let's hope his goals and performances at Crawley have given him the self-belief to prove his worth.

• Certainly bring back KAG but if we don’t sign two new strikers we won’t be going anywhere in promotion terms.
  • Sorry don't get the obsession with giving Ajose chance after chance. He did come back in and show improvement in his all round game and effort, and I agree he didn't miss a string of chances but I still feel we are hoping he can rediscover that scoring form that was only really 1 season.

He's not the sort of striker who we can rely on to help us get promotion and IMO should fall below KAG in the pecking order (and I'm not a massive KAG fan).

Why shouldn't Ajose get another chance?

He should be judged on his worth to the team.

• The evidence on the back of the last two seasons suggests he's not good enough if we're serious about promotion.
  • Oggy Red said:

Sorry don't get the obsession with giving Ajose chance after chance. He did come back in and show improvement in his all round game and effort, and I agree he didn't miss a string of chances but I still feel we are hoping he can rediscover that scoring form that was only really 1 season.

He's not the sort of striker who we can rely on to help us get promotion and IMO should fall below KAG in the pecking order (and I'm not a massive KAG fan).

For the same reason the likes of Thuram, Ba and Lepoint shouldn't, he's not good enough. His worth to the team was scoring 1 goal. We lost 2 play off games 1-0, a goal from him would have been huge.

This is my opinion, but I haven't seen enough in Ajose he will be able to go out, score 15 goals and help us get promoted. I also believe KAG and Ajose are fighting for one spot, and I would prefer it to go to KAG. I'm not massively against him going out on loan again and Ajose staying in the squad, but that seems a pointless move.
  • I’d say KAG deserves his chance. Personally think him and ajose are about the same level but KAG has a lot of potential. Really hope KAG can nail down a place, although I have a feeling he’ll be another Kevin lisbie, bags of potential and can go between being a goal machine to being unable to hit a barn door in a very short space of time. I hope, like lisbie, he doesn’t have to leave the club to really show what he can do.

Lisbie had to drop down the leagues to score goals though. I have no doubts a young 20 something Lisbie would do well in League 1.
  • Oggy Red said:

Sorry don't get the obsession with giving Ajose chance after chance. He did come back in and show improvement in his all round game and effort, and I agree he didn't miss a string of chances but I still feel we are hoping he can rediscover that scoring form that was only really 1 season.

For the same reason the likes of Thuram, Ba and Lepoint shouldn't, he's not good enough. His worth to the team was scoring 1 goal. We lost 2 play off games 1-0, a goal from him would have been huge.

This is my opinion, but I haven't seen enough in Ajose he will be able to go out, score 15 goals and help us get promoted. I also believe KAG and Ajose are fighting for one spot, and I would prefer it to go to KAG. I'm not massively against him going out on loan again and Ajose staying in the squad, but that seems a pointless move.
    It wasn't Ajose's fault that we failed to score in 2 play off matches. He barely had a chance at all in both those games because we failed to create anything of note in 180 minutes of football. I'd keep him, I think he has goals in him if we can find some more creative players.
  • Oggy Red said:

It wasn't Ajose's fault that we failed to score in 2 play off matches. He barely had a chance at all in both those games because we failed to create anything of note in 180 minutes of football. I'd keep him, I think he has goals in him if we can find some more creative players.
    I'm not blaming Ajose specifically, but I certainly feel he had a half decent chance to score in the away leg.

The fact is he hasn't scored goals yet. Nobody really knows for sure whether he would or not with better service. But if we go into the season with Magennis and Ajose as our starters then I personally believe we can forget about promotion. We don't have Holmes and can't rely on a winger in Fosu to score our goals, whilst Marshall offers very little going forward on this season's evidence. He would probably score more but IMO not enough and a new striker has to be top of our shopping list.

• edited May 2018

Oggy Red said:

I'm not blaming Ajose specifically, but I certainly feel he had a half decent chance to score in the away leg.

The fact is he hasn't scored goals yet. Nobody really knows for sure whether he would or not with better service. But if we go into the season with Magennis and Ajose as our starters then I personally believe we can forget about promotion. We don't have Holmes and can't rely on a winger in Fosu to score our goals, whilst Marshall offers very little going forward on this season's evidence. He would probably score more but IMO not enough and a new striker has to be top of our shopping list.

Well, one half decent chance isn't really enough to hope to seal a game with. It's possible, but ultimately, it's not good enough as I'm sure you'll agree.

Clearly the Mag/Ajose partnership didn't yield enough goals, but some of the blame must go to the midfielders and wingers who need to create the openings for our strikers. I would say that if we go into next season with most of the players we have, we can kiss goodbye to promotion. Over the course of the season the squad proved that it can't create enough chances, can't score enough goals, can't mix it with the bigger tougher teams.

I don't think there are too many players who can feel 100% comfortable in their position with new owners coming in and potentially splashing a bit of cash.
  • I think Ajose would work well from Billy Clarke's forward passes BUT we still need two other strikers to form a strike force good enough to go up. Eaves & 1 other would be ideal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

2 years of nothing, dreadful body language.

Get rid of him.
  • Oggy Red said:

Well, one half decent chance isn't really enough to hope to seal a game with. It's possible, but ultimately, it's not good enough as I'm sure you'll agree.

Clearly the Mag/Ajose partnership didn't yield enough goals, but some of the blame must go to the midfielders and wingers who need to create the openings for our strikers. I would say that if we go into next season with most of the players we have, we can kiss goodbye to promotion. Over the course of the season the squad proved that it can't create enough chances, can't score enough goals, can't mix it with the bigger tougher teams.

I don't think there are too many players who can feel 100% comfortable in their position with new owners coming in and potentially splashing a bit of cash.
    Agree with most of what you say but it surely contradicts your original argument that Ajose deserves a chance?
  • Ajose game seems to be running behind the central defender in the hope the defender misses a free header.
  • Sadly it’s a fact that both Mag and Nicky miss too many chances. I’m sure that with even with the service Nicky and Josh have had someone like BWP would have taken enough to have made a difference. We need a BWP and not either of Ajose or Magennis as our principal goal scorer.
  • Under PP & CP I am certain we created a lot more in terms of goal scoring opportunities.

These days we're seeing under 10 shots a game, they're usually by the wingers too!
  • Oggy Red said:

Get rid of him.
    If you were to judge him on his first half season, when he was well pissed off with Slade's system which wouldn't allow him to play properly - then I'd agree.
    But he still scored 7 goals.

Robinson replaced Slade and played with 1 striker only.
    That was never going to be Ajose in that system - who Robinson then picked as a winger, for God's sake.

Robinson then told him he had no future at the club and best to go out on loan. Not surprisingly, Ajose was pissed off.

Funny thing, as soon as Robinson was gone, Bowyer put him straight in the team and he impressed - and he kept his place for the rest of the season.
    What did Bowyer see in Ajose, that you don't, Elfs? :smile:

• edited May 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Get rid of him.
    If you were to judge him on his first half season, when he was well pissed off with Slade's system which wouldn't allow him to play properly - then I'd agree.

That was never going to be Ajose in that system - who Robinson then picked as a winger, for God's sake.

Robinson then told him he had no future at the club and best to go out on loan. Not surprisingly, Ajose was pissed off.

Funny thing, as soon as Robinson was gone, Bowyer put him straight in the team and he impressed - and he kept his place for the rest of the season.

Don't know really, I only went to two games last season!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw his sub appearance two seasons ago in pikey land when he scored the penalty though.
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Get rid of him.

He impressed with his work rate and attitude but still never really looked like becoming a goalscorer IMO.

There's a decent player in there, but all I see is a half decent League 1 striker who isn't going to help us get promoted
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have Ajose over KAG every day of the week.

KAG will never play (or score) regularly for us
  • I'd have Ajose over KAG every day of the week.

KAG will never play (or score) regularly for us

I used to think the same but I would prefer KAG and Magennis as 3rd and 4th choice strikers this season. Definitely need 2 to come in regardless
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Get rid of him.

He impressed with his work rate and attitude but still never really looked like becoming a goalscorer IMO.

There's a decent player in there, but all I see is a half decent League 1 striker who isn't going to help us get promoted
    Okay, I get it, cafc1990.

You really don't like Ajose, do you? :smile:

• Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Get rid of him.

Okay, I get it, cafc1990.

You really don't like Ajose, do you? :smile:

Not sure what gave you that idea
  • Oggy Red said:

Agree with most of what you say but it surely contradicts your original argument that Ajose deserves a chance?
    I said I'd keep him. If we bring new players in, he might be a useful squad player. If we don't, then I still think he has more goals in him than we've seen.
  • Keep him.

We paid quite a bit for him in 2016. I'd expand the squad, not keep it the same size.

Guess we'll find out pretty soon.
  • To score goals you need to create chances. We created very few last season.
  • To score goals you need to create chances. We created very few last season.

I agree with this argument. It's very true.

What I don't get is why people will use it to defend Ajose who is a finisher/goal scorer but not much else. Yet won't use it to defend Magennis who has so much more to his game and managed to end the year top scorer despite us great in no chances, despite playing on his own upfront completely isolated and under Karl's ridiculous system for most of the season. And despite the fact that he had no competition or support and had to play every minute of every game and didn't get international weekends off and so was completely run into the ground.

There are far larger mitigating circumstances for Mag than Ajose.
  • He has goals in him,how many did he score for Swindon
  • doronron said:

He has goals in him,how many did he score for Swindon

I know I am becoming boring with my stick of Ajose but that argument is not a fair one. To counter it, how many goals did he score at Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Crawley, Bury and Leeds? How many with us