Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appalling and sweeping generalisation alert!!

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018

When two lanes are converging and everyone has formed an orderly queue in the left-hand lane to make it more likely you'll move through smoothly and you see in your wing mirror, a car approaching in the empty outside lane, jumping the queue...what fun it is to move out and block the lane and halt their queue barging. The cars in the left-hand lane always leave a car-sized gap for me to slip back into but I do spend several minutes anxiously checking the rear-view mirror for a crazed driver jumping out of his car to bludgeon me to death.

Yep I do that all the time (block the lane). There are a couple of roads near me that are notorious for those types of incidents. I don't usually worry about crazed drivers, living in the part of the country that I do, in any altercation I immediately find my thickest South London accent and people generally back down :wink:
  • Options
    It is a far quicker method to use both lanes right up until they merge into one and then alternate both lanes of traffic into the single lane.

Deliberately blocking off a lane because you think a driver might get in front of you by a couple of cars can see you done for driving without due care and attention. Have you tried doing it to a police vehicle?
  • Options

Greenie said:

To cheer all the good drivers up...heres a compilation of BMWs crashing at the Nurburgring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoG7DJxQ6w

Three things.

First, what sort of idiot takes their road car round the Nurburgring?

Second, what are the organisers doing letting all that breakable plastic, headlights, rear lights, etc. on the track?

Third, the person on the bike needs their head examined. It's bad enough being on the same road as cars where at least there's a chance they might not crash, riding round a racetrack with idiots in cars going far too fast would be petrifying. It's not like you can pull away from them and not have to worry 'cos they're behind you, sooner or later you'll catch up with them again.
    A lap is over 13 miles long, so if you're lapping someone at the Nurburgring then you are some rider.....
  • Options

When two lanes are converging and everyone has formed an orderly queue in the left-hand lane to make it more likely you'll move through smoothly and you see in your wing mirror, a car approaching in the empty outside lane, jumping the queue...what fun it is to move out and block the lane and halt their queue barging. The cars in the left-hand lane always leave a car-sized gap for me to slip back into but I do spend several minutes anxiously checking the rear-view mirror for a crazed driver jumping out of his car to bludgeon me to death.

Yep I do that all the time (block the lane). There are a couple of roads near me that are notorious for those types of incidents. I don't usually worry about crazed drivers, living in the part of the country that I do, in any altercation I immediately find my thickest South London accent and people generally back down :wink:
    Only on a handful of occasions have I used the outside line as usually I find it as discourteous and annoying. However on occasion I have adjudged (rightly or wrongly) that my needs were more important than other peoples'. Once were were going to bury my father-in-law's ashes in the family plot and were running late. Someone took the 'I am the law' approach and pulled out to stop me. I got out of the car, wrested control of the urn from my mother-in-law's hands and approached the other driver. In a mix of anger and upset I explained in no uncertain terms what the circumstances were. Never have I seen a person's demeanour change to quickly. The other guy turned from sneery to ashen in an instant; I have never known any one so apologetic. Back in the car, my wife said she thought I was going to pour her dad over this blokes head. We can laugh about it now, but it made a difficult journey so much worse.

I guess the moral of the story is, that you never know what is going on in someone else's life/head. Whilst it may be the case that 99% of people overtaking the queue are just selfish arseholes, you can never be entirely sure of their circumstances. It's better to sort your own head out and refuse to be upset by such behaviour than to gain some strange pleasure by pretending to be traffic cops.
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

What also gets my goat are those who do 40mph on the slip road on to a motorway, thats dangerous as the slip road is top be used to get momentum allowing to slot in safely.

Similar to those who have been parked on the Hard Shoulder yet when they're ready to move off again, simply drive a few yards slowly and start indicating to come on... Erm no, your supposed to build up your speed and then merge back into the traffic safely without forcing anyone else to slow down rather than using the first lane to build up speed again!!

(Only case where this isnt possible is of course when the hard shoulder suddenly end so you cant do anything else etc.)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

People who constantly criticise the behaviour of other road users whilst flatly refusing to be critical of their own antics!

Was driving up Swanscombe Cutting yesterday afternoon... In the second lane and was watching this lorry in the first lane slightly ahead of me and thought he was going to move out - Dont know why as he gave no indication or movement to do so.

Because of this moved over into the third lane, which meant a van coming up behind me had to slow as he was doing more than 70-mph... Went past the lorry (who hadnt moved from the first lane, I hadnt overtaken anyone), leaving me to ask out loud, why the hell I'd just done what I did - Put my hand up to the van driver in apology for holding him up and sheepishly moved back over to the second lane!!

Even now I dont have a scooby why I did it
  • Options
    Halix said:

1905 said:

People who do not indicate on roundabouts - ok I will sit here and try to guess which way you are going.

Surely its clockwise?
    Depends where you are driving? France and Thamesmead is the opposite way.

• Options

I hate that also as they clearly think their more important than you and should be in front, why should they have to wait and take their turn....

I saw a classic in Basingstoke the other week. Just outside the hospital there is a dual carriageway that goes into one lane. These two macho guys decided that neither of them was going to give way and they spent about 50 yards just scraping each others cars, eventually the guy in the inside lane won the duel...what made it better was there is a right turn about 200 yards after this and the guy in front decided to turn right, which meant had the guy in the outside lane waited a few seconds he would have been in the same place as he was now, to top it off, the guy turning right hogged the lane so the second car couldn't get past him on the inside, and left gaps between cars coming the other way that most people would have turned through. He ended up waiting longer had he just joined the rest of us...we too were held up but in the end was it worth his bullying.
  • Options

Greenie said:

To cheer all the good drivers up...heres a compilation of BMWs crashing at the Nurburgring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoG7DJxQ6w

Three things.

First, what sort of idiot takes their road car round the Nurburgring?

Second, what are the organisers doing letting all that breakable plastic, headlights, rear lights, etc. on the track?

Third, the person on the bike needs their head examined. It's bad enough being on the same road as cars where at least there's a chance they might not crash, riding round a racetrack with idiots in cars going far too fast would be petrifying. It's not like you can pull away from them and not have to worry 'cos they're behind you, sooner or later you'll catch up with them again.
    It must have been bloody scary to race in F1 when they used to hold the Grand Prix there. No crash barriers in those days, just trees to slow you down.
  • Options
    Not a problem for most of you on here but I have to mention tractors. Simply, fucking tractors.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Swisdom said:

And another Lithuainian immigrant, this one with a sense of humour:

Swisdom said:

I am within category 2 for the make of car but I am largely considerate. Hate tailgating. Not a massive fan of using my indicators though - I'll admit to that. I do love to annoy people trying to cut-in though. I can see them approaching in my mirrors and I make it as difficult as possible just because they are being a dick.

Poor driving really annoys me to the point I have bought a dash cam because there are so many numpties out there I feel I need to cover my arse at all times

LOL - I get the irony. I meant to say dangerous driving annoys me more - middle lane hoggers, undertaking, excessive speeding. I indicate when there are cars expecting me too (ie roundabouts and changing lanes on a motorway) but if there's nobody around I rarely bother.

If you were biker you wouldn't be as blasé about not indicating. Most time a biker's hit the car driver says "I didn't see him".
    I've clarificed my indicator usage but don't get me started on bikers.

"Why didn't you see me going at 90 up your inside whilst swerving between lorries because I don't have to follow the laws of the road"

Some are decent but there are far too many utter bellends on plastic rockets.

• Options

Not a problem for most of you on here but I have to mention tractors. Simply, fucking tractors.

I suppose it’s a problem if they have a rusty exhaust pipe?
  • Options

Explain yourself Russ?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

And another Lithuainian immigrant, this one with a sense of humour:

Swisdom said:

I am within category 2 for the make of car but I am largely considerate. Hate tailgating. Not a massive fan of using my indicators though - I'll admit to that. I do love to annoy people trying to cut-in though. I can see them approaching in my mirrors and I make it as difficult as possible just because they are being a dick.

Poor driving really annoys me to the point I have bought a dash cam because there are so many numpties out there I feel I need to cover my arse at all times

LOL - I get the irony. I meant to say dangerous driving annoys me more - middle lane hoggers, undertaking, excessive speeding. I indicate when there are cars expecting me too (ie roundabouts and changing lanes on a motorway) but if there's nobody around I rarely bother.

If you were biker you wouldn't be as blasé about not indicating. Most time a biker's hit the car driver says "I didn't see him".
    I've clarificed my indicator usage but don't get me started on bikers.

"Why didn't you see me going at 90 up your inside whilst swerving between lorries because I don't have to follow the laws of the road"

Some are decent but there are far too many utter bellends on plastic rockets.

Its great fun though.
  • Options
    1905 said:

Explain yourself Russ?
    He explained they're into fucking tractors up there and you wouldn't want your old bill chaffing on a rusty pipe (a metal one that is)
  • Options

I concur!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    bobmunro said:

I concur!

God help us if they start making Audi tractors.
  • Options
    any recommends on a dashcam? Would like one that monitors movement but without draining the car battery - if that is possible.