Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton caretaker boss Lee Bowyer to remain in charge until end of season

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018

The Evening Standard says we've spoken to Jack Ross at St Mirren about the manager job.

Who’s “we” though ?

Prospective new owners ? Seems unlikely to me. Certainly not Duchatelet. Don’t buy it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

The Evening Standard says we've spoken to Jack Ross at St Mirren about the manager job.

Who is "we", I am sure RD has not, probably does not even know who Bowyer is, Murray cannot appoint him, so how can anyone from the club talk to him

Sorry Shooters, only just read your comment
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Who is "we", I am sure RD has not, probably does not even know who Bowyer is, Murray cannot appoint him, so how can anyone from the club talk to him

What leads you to suspect that Murray couldn't approach him? He is still an active director of the company as per Companies House he and RD are now the board. Not that I believe a word the Evening Bullsh*t prints.

The assumption that Murray is just there because he's got nowhere else to be is incorrect, as a director he still has a duty of care in ensuring the Company does not fall foul of any statutory obligations etc. and let's face it the ultimate owner is too busy wearing his pants on his head with pencils up his nose yelling "wibble" to take notice of such things.

• Options
    I assume that it's still 2 parties saying they'll only pay £25m and Roland saying he still wants £45m.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Hope this bit is true...

it has been confirmed that one of the conditions of the sale, agreed by both parties interested in purchasing, will be that Bowyer is kept on as Caretaker Manager, with Johnnie Jackson continuing as his assistant, until the end of the season

Means they're sensible and want to see Charlton as a successful club

Can anyone really imagine RD refusing a deal that he wants to do because the buyer won't commit to keeping a manager until the end of the season? It's just the sensible thing all round at this stage.
    Exactly my thinking. But as you say, at this stage it's the sensible thing to do.

Bowyer, and Jackson, have done an excellent job. They have far, far exceeded my expectations. It's not just the results, but the way we're playing, and the newfound confidence we have. Rotherham really pushed us on Monday, but we just never wavered. I am so pleased to have them on board (theoretically) until the end of the season.
  • Options
    And now you’re gunna believe us, the reds are going up
  • Options

I assume that it's still 2 parties saying they'll only pay £25m and Roland saying he still wants £45m.

No idea on the numbers but I think you are right.

Alternatively

The Aussies put their bid in some months ago and thought it had been accepted (done deal) but meanwhile Duchatelet has been trying to stall the deal in the hope that someone will pay more.

WIOTOS
  • Options

Who’s “we” though ?

Prospective new owners ? Seems unlikely to me. Certainly not Duchatelet. Don't buy it.
    Nor do I,
    The evening standard is given away free.
    And Jack Ross would have come with the Scottish consortium where McLeish would have been mentor.
    Old news as McLeish have picked up a small job somewhere else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    At least now we can go forward and if/when we lose games the usual suspects can say Lee is tactically inept and inexperienced and should go back to fishing.

Whisper it but Charlton fans may just have caught ourselves a whopper, a little pesky fish than has matured into a fine specimen.
    Please new owner don't throw him back. They come along so rarely in the Cafc lake.
    The last big ones mouth never stopped opening and shutting that he was thrown back in the Thames and was caught again in Oxford.
  • Options
    Too many people trying to overthink this.

Just accept it as a bit of good news?
  • Options

Im assuming that means one of the interested parties has. No reason for RD to do so.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2018
    Bumped into a mate of mine today, not CAFC, he knows Alex Woodyard who plays for Lincoln, (local lad from Gravesend) he reckons we approached Lincoln about Danny Cowley just after Robinson left.
  • Options

Hope this bit is true...

it has been confirmed that one of the conditions of the sale, agreed by both parties interested in purchasing, will be that Bowyer is kept on as Caretaker Manager, with Johnnie Jackson continuing as his assistant, until the end of the season

Means they're sensible and want to see Charlton as a successful club

Can anyone really imagine RD refusing a deal that he wants to do because the buyer won't commit to keeping a manager until the end of the season? It's just the sensible thing all round at this stage.
    Hard to believe anything anyone at the club says these days. I don't believe for a second that this is a condition of sale (how would it be enforced anyway), that is just RM trying to claw back some credibility with the fans like this is something he has negotiated, and I also don't believe that any new owners would hesitate to replace Bowyer, even this season, if they felt they have a better man for the job lined up.

I think we all agree that letting Bowyer see out the season is the only sensible course to take right now, but when have you ever been able to rely on football club owners acting sensibly? Personally, I'm taking this statement with a massive pinch of salt.
    Well it’s now on the football clubs official site so should Bowyer be replaced before then without his agreement he could have grounds for breach of contract ?

• Options
    DA9 said:

Bumped into a mate of mine today, not CAFC, he knows Alex Woodyard who plays for Lincoln, (local lad from Gravesend) he reckons we approached Lincoln about Danny Cowley just after Robinson left.

Interesting.
    I wonder how often these type of approaches are in fact agents asking managers if they’d be interested, rather than in this case, someone from
    Charlton contacting Cowley?
  • Options

So a promise is made by an owner we are desperate to see leave and which he could only really honour if he doesn't sell?

Doesn’t it say agreed by both interested parties ? You need to read what’s been said I think.

You're right. I didn't see where it said agreed by both interested parties.

On the other hand you need to eat a snickers I think.
  • Options
    Jolly good news, common sense prevails, not words I thought I'd ever associate with RD's approach and ownership - it's the hope that kills you :wink:
  • Options
    meh
  • Options

Jolly good news, common sense prevails, not words I thought I'd ever associate with RD's approach and ownership - it's the hope that kills you :wink:

Agreed. Which makes me suspect that Rolly had nothing to do with it. After all, he is never going to spend when he does not need to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This has to be the right decision for the good of the team and our chances of going up via the play-offs.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Fantastic that Bowyer and Jackson have turned things around.

The papers are making it out as if it was a good decision by Dushitelet/masterstroke. There was nobody left in the building to do the job.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Next phase of the Chinese Whispers; the other week we were approaching Crawley about Lincoln up with Kwell.
  • Options
    So looks like rolands here till the end of the season and he will be going when he wants.
    Could even be a slight possibility he decides to stay on if we get promoted
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Duchatelet takes no interest in the day to day running of the club so the decision more likely to be Murray's. Or the fact that when the manager goes, the next in command
    becomes manager by default. Unless the whole coaching staff are sacked which wasn't the case here.

As for the statement, logic says it would be the case anyway as long as we have a sniff of the play offs but it would be the case under Roland if we were losing every game. Duchatelet wasn't going to sack Robbo. The question is what happens when the new owners take over, and this doesn't seem to change anything although it has to be highly unlikely they would change anything until the end of the season. Unless they don't want promotion or at least a chance of it.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

So looks like rolands here till the end of the season and he will be going when he wants.
    Could even be a slight possibility he decides to stay on if we get promoted

There is nothing to suggest that this is the case at all.

All the parties, including us the fans have a vested interest in getting us firstly into the play offs and then hopefully into the Championship. With so few games left the best person to lead on this is LB. Taking away the uncertainty of his role was an easy decision and a seriously doubt there was even any discussion around the matter.
  • Options
    Lets face it, we had all given up on the play offs and Bowyer has turned things around. We don't know the end of the story but what isn't to like about the begining? Bowyers says he is enjoying it and isn't looking beyond winning the next game. that is exactly the right approach. There is time for sitting down and reviewing when the season ends. That will be for all parties, including Bowyer.

But for now, do what you are doing and enjoy it. Three winnable games coming up (we should look at them in this way rather than potential banana skins) and if we win them we will be in a fantastic position in terms of the play offs!
  • Options
    ah, the good old vote of confidence

we don't stand a chance now on Saturday.
  • Options

Too many people trying to overthink this.

Just accept it as a bit of good news?

this, every single word is being scrutinised and interpreted in every single possible way.