Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton caretaker boss Lee Bowyer to remain in charge until end of season

Comments

• Options
    Excellent news.

Very happy and relieved which also it settles some fears regarding prospective owners.

For now, it's just about the football.

Roland is going to fuck off...just probably "next week"
  • Options
    Decision was a no brainer, i think we'd have had riots at the valley if these 2 were shown the door at the moment.
  • Options
    Think it was always pretty certain Bowyer would stay in until the end of the season due to the run we're on.

Whether he makes it through the summer is still up in the air though.
  • Options
    This is bizarre.

Why would RD insist on Bowyer staying? Presumably because he now feels that he gives us the best chance of promotion of those available. That way he can maximise the price for the club in the form of a promotion add-on fee.

But to make it part of the conditions seems really weird. What if a buyer takes over tomorrow (say), then we lose the next three games? Can the buyer not bring in their man then, in order to prepare for the new season?

What if there's no takeover, and we lose the next three or four? I guess that means RD will try to sell faster knowing that playoffs are out of the picture? What if the current prospective buyers get bored of the antics and walk away?

I think this adds up to RD holding on until the end of the season, or at least until playoffs can't be achieved.

If we do somehow win promotion, will the git pull out of negotiations to give it one more go in the championship?

This is a really odd thing to announce...or more exactly, it's a thin premise and the announcement is in fact a statement of "we're not being sold until RD has squeezed every last penny possible out of the buyers, and the upturn in form recently has made promotion a possibility again."
  • Options
    sensible! now lets carry this on and get promoted.
  • Options
    Basically means no ones offered Roly's asking price?
  • Options
    Very happy!
  • Options

This is bizarre.

Why would RD insist on Bowyer staying? Presumably because he now feels that he gives us the best chance of promotion of those available. That way he can maximise the price for the club in the form of a promotion add-on fee.

But to make it part of the conditions seems really weird. What if a buyer takes over tomorrow (say), then we lose the next three games? Can the buyer not bring in their man then, in order to prepare for the new season?

What if there's no takeover, and we lose the next three or four? I guess that means RD will try to sell faster knowing that playoffs are out of the picture? What if the current prospective buyers get bored of the antics and walk away?

I think this adds up to RD holding on until the end of the season, or at least until playoffs can't be achieved.

If we do somehow win promotion, will the git pull out of negotiations to give it one more go in the championship?

This is a really odd thing to announce...or more exactly, it's a thin premise and the announcement is in fact a statement of "we're not being sold until RD has squeezed every last penny possible out of the buyers, and the upturn in form recently has made promotion a possibility again."

agree mate. I doubt RD gives a flying wotsit who our Manager is. Seems a bit weird to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good point as surely if it was possible a new owner is in place during that time, this promise couldn't be made to bowyer. Or...... the new owner is already in and made this call.... Or 2 perspective new owners both agreed on this ? Agrees though it's most likely no take over till end of season.

As I've been saying for some time , It's not happening.
  • Options
    Possibly a contractual thing to keep Bowyer here until end of season, he could get poached for example. Also brings some stability for a run at the playoffs.
  • Options

This is bizarre.

It could be a condition put in place by the buyers, they will know how trigger-happy RD can be so want a stable environment on the playing side to continue to the end of the season.

I would therefore read into it that the final sale with full agreement (including league ratification) is unlikely to be before the end of May
  • Options
    Does this mean that bookies have to pay out on Bowyer as our next Manager then?
  • Options

Basically means no ones offered Roly's asking price?

This
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Chrispy51 said:

It could be a condition put in place by the buyers, they will know how trigger-happy RD can be so want a stable environment on the playing side to continue to the end of the season.

I would therefore read into it that the final sale with full agreement (including league ratification) is unlikely to be before the end of May

Yeah, I'd understand it more if it was a suggestion from the buyers, though that seems unlikely considering the words used were that they "agreed" to it. As for the chances of both buyers suggesting it...again, I feel its unlikely.

Could it be another cynical attempt to bring the fans back on board? I think someone's already suggested this. "Oh, we tried to sell the club, but it fell through. But we've given you Bowyer and Jackson! That's what you really wanted, right?!"

That, or someone has spoken to Kewell (or whomever else) and been rebuffed until the end of the season? Smoke and mirrors...

Or a combination of the above.

Either way, I still don't trust the motivation behind this statement.

Happy for Bowyer to see it through, though. The players seem to like him, at least.
  • Options

Does this mean that bookies have to pay out on Bowyer as our next Manager then?

They will but by all accounts they are going to make us wait. Think they may have realised they slightly screwed up letting the odds drift out so far...
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

This is bizarre.

I wouldn't say RD was that trigger happy when compared to some of the other owners around. Other than Jose Riga (first time round) at no point when a manager was changed was there an outpouring of anger at the sacking, the anger was more about who they got replaced with and the lack of a proper interview process!

There was zero chance of RD sacking Bowyer or bringing in Karel Fraeye Mk2 , those days have passed along with RD's network. Indeed I imagine the concern (from Murray?) was the Harry Kewell rumour; for all his faults and mistakes Murray still wants the club to be successful, and can see the turnaround on the pitch. I'm sure he instigated this statement himself to let Lee and Jacko concentrate on getting us into the playoffs.
  • Options
    this is good news

however if the club is to be sold end of season or post play offs i only hope our prospective purchasers have plans already in place for the management,playing staff and off field infrastructure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Meanwhile somewhere back in the real world.... Shock the club is no nearer a sale (or likely not at all ) and as part of a fan appeasing statement about the manager, continues to float along with the 'we have two parties interested, agreed' nonsense that a lot of people seems to hang to. They might as well put the sale on RightMove or Purple Bricks (others are available) as no one is biting. Again no offence to Murray, but it baffles me how a non influential , Non decision making director with no direct power, is here making a back tracked primary school statement about how long things take. Was it well over a month ago it would be two weeks? Did not also say he knew nothing about it?
    More importantly than any sale.... There is still no mention of planning and nothing being stated that relates to actually running the club?
    Instead its..... 'lets all have a cup of tea and wait for the whole thing to blow over.'
  • Options

Good point as surely if it was possible a new owner is in place during that time, this promise couldn't be made to bowyer. Or...... the new owner is already in and made this call.... Or 2 perspective new owners both agreed on this ? Agrees though it's most likely no take over till end of season.

As I've been saying for some time , It's not happening.
    It is happening. He's on record as saying he is selling all his clubs.
  • Options
    Good news, now let's win our games. We can always ignore the next owner the way we've forgotten about the current one.
  • Options
    Walking in lee bowyer wonder land
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    So a promise is made by an owner we are desperate to see leave and which he could only really honour if he doesn't sell?

• Options
    edited April 2018

So a promise is made by an owner we are desperate to see leave and which he could only really honour if he doesn't sell?

Doesn’t it say agreed by both interested parties ? You need to read what’s been said I think.

• Options
    The Evening Standard says we've spoken to Jack Ross at St Mirren about the manager job.
  • Options

So he can only honour a condition of sale if he DOESN'T sell?

Makes no sense.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I'm not sure it does clear it up if were to be sold next week, or the week after.

I think it tells us the takeover, if it happens at all, won't be happening anytime soon.
  • Options
    Great news. The takeover isn't something I have really been getting myself worked up about because you can't second guess the bellend RD. Bowyer coming in and the way we have played in the last 3 games is probably the best I felt about Charlton since Powell took us out of League One.