Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gender pay gap.

2»

Comments

• Greenie said:

In my company the male and female designers are paid the same if the have the same experience.
    As an aside..........
    My...er...'friends' company is recruiting and his boss said make sure you employ a fella because at the moment they have 3 women on maternity leave, 2 for the second time and they are pissed off paying twice for the same role.

Firms don't pay twice as you can claim maternity pay back from the Gov.
    That's absolutely right. A company picks up the cost of holiday pay though as holiday/holiday pay accrues while the woman is on maternity leave.
  • This metric is a crock. It doesn't take into account that men are in higher-paid jobs.

However.

That's very much the question - why ARE men paid more? Why are a disproportionate amount of men in senior executive positions, and so on?

I'd say that this is in part due to discrimination (and potentially learned "unambition" in challenging for career progression - also maternity and that etc). How much, though, I don't really know.

Right ideas, terrible terrible way of getting people to talk about them. Meninists will just use it as a way to discredit the gender pay gap - which is something that definitely exists.
  • lolwray said:

I have decided not to employ women to save time on supplying meaningless statistics

And having the aggro when they announce they are pregnant.
  • 19.5% mean... buuut 41.9% bonus gap if that wins a prize.
  • I know it's not the right thing to say being a bloke but i'm sick of hearing about gender pay and women's rights especially on the BBC. Don't get me wrong i'm happy that women get the same pay and are treated on a same level as men but please!!!! stop going on about it! Enough already.
  • I know it's not the right thing to say being a bloke but i'm sick of hearing about gender pay and women's rights especially on the BBC. Don't get me wrong i'm happy that women get the same pay and are treated on a same level as men but please!!!! stop going on about it! Enough already.

Missing the point slightly there.
  • edited April 2018

Greenie said:

In my company the male and female designers are paid the same if the have the same experience.
    As an aside..........
    My...er...'friends' company is recruiting and his boss said make sure you employ a fella because at the moment they have 3 women on maternity leave, 2 for the second time and they are pissed off paying twice for the same role.

Firms don't pay twice as you can claim maternity pay back from the Gov.
    I thought that was only £139 per week of whatever the total maternity benefit is?

Most companies offer significantly closer to full salary for the first 6 months.
  • Am I still winning?

BBC is probably the worse with male presenters getting paid more for the same job. Granted some bring in bigger numbers and what not but that's not always the case and the salaries are often multiples for a slight increase in viewership. Elsewhere with the equal pay act I don't think it's a major issue in this country.
  • Thing is there are so many different ways to calculate value. A lawyer can bill loads of money, bring in new work, be good at training and motivating staff, be good at admin and sorting out the internal structures of the firm, be good at management (I've never met one who firmly ticks more than two of these, tops)... Can easily point to a pay difference in one of the above for people of similar experience as a reason for different pay. That's before we talk about those asking for more money getting more, or changing jobs more often to better oneself. Levelling the playing field is never going to be easy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Women are paid 37.3 % less than men at the UK arm of the firm I work for in Canada.

I'm sure people will...

Once something is actually done to address the situation.
  • Still can’t believe the pay gap exists at this point in the 21st century.
  • Still can’t believe the pay gap exists at this point in the 21st century.

As the video on the first page points out. It doesn't really, women do get paid the same as men for the same work, at least if they don't the companies doing it are breaking the law. I have no idea how closely that law is policed though - it is hard for individuals to know if they are getting a fair deal from their employer because most of us don't know exactly what the person next to us is earning, I've never had a police officer call me to check what my salary is.

The issue is that there are still blocks, in all sorts of ways, to women reaching the same levels in their careers as men do.

I think in the UK in particular, often as a hang over of the class system, people of certain, ethnicity, gender, or social backgrounds tend to get pigeonholed into certain roles in life. The example from the video of Tesco being a good one where women will most likely end up on the shop floor working on a lower wage than men working in the warehouse there's very little reason why women can't work in the warehouse instead, so why don't they? Unwillingness on their part, social stigma, are they uncomfortable in the a male dominated world - they can be pretty intimidating environments sometimes for sure, even for blokes? And the other point that raises is why is warehouse work higher valued than shop floor work - is one particularly more skilled than the other? Neither require much in the way of qualifications except the forklift driver and no reason a women couldn't get a forklift ticket. Or is the pay gap linked to the fact one is a mainly a male job and the other is a predominantly female one - does Tesco feel it can get away with paying less for jobs mainly filled by women, even if the few men that do the work also get paid the same lower rate as the women?

My jobs means I come into contact with a lot engineering, constructrion and manufacturing sites. I've done the same job with the same kinds of clients in England and in Canada and, while they are male dominated worlds both sides of the Atlantic, I have found I am far more likely to see female trades people, factory workers, truck drivers etc. here in Canada than in the UK. That suggest to me there is something about the UK mindset that is discouraging more women from pursuing traditionally male careers.
  • edited April 2018
    So are the junior female staff at Charlton on £100K pa plus ? :smile:

We need to compare like with like, not apples with pears.

It's bleeding obvious that a male board member will be paid more than a female admin clerk.

The question is why are more men in highly paid roles and what can be done to encourage more women into high paid roles ?
  • Next Bond is going to be a woman

Double O seventy seven cents to the dollar
  • As I said a couple of months back whilst I was stood in the rain in a muddy field pulling thousands of metres of cable in, if any woman wants to do what I do for a living they deserve equal pay but I don’t see a massive rush of them to do so.
  • Am I still winning?

No mate, just put my company in, 47.5%.

Think there should be CL man & woman cash winners.

If I stay in the lead, my cash prize should be 47.5% more than the treacle winner.
  • Greenie said:

As an aside..........

Selfish buggers keeping the human race going .......
  • My company probably has about a 40% gender pay gap in favour of women, because all the people at the top of our company, are women.

The woman who sits next to me who does the same job as me is paid the same.

Do I have the right now to demand a pay rise?

For anyone that has even the vaguest understanding of statistics, this is a pointless endeavour.
  • Sponsored links:

• I disagree that it's a pointless endeavour, but it's an issue of structural factors in society as well as the efforts of individual companies. There's no point the Government beating companies over the head about the size of the gender pay gap they have, if it isn't dealing with issues around education, maternity/paternity leave and childcare costs that tend to push women into lower paid or part time roles.

This story is quite interesting, looking at the data from a few firms in a bit more detail: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/women/the-stories-hidden-in-the-gender-pay-gap-data/
  • On a serious note it’s the first step in perhaps highlighting the disparity (although as others have pointed out you can’t view this as a like for like comparison). If you bring into the open the issue you would hope it would start shine a light on why there’s such a disparity and what can be done to address it. The big thing as others have alluded to is getting more women in senior roles. This will take time and some companies are more progressive than others. The childcare thing is an issue and until it becomes more widespread/accepted that the father be the stay at home parent, the wheels may turn slow.

If men have on average earned more than women and then a couple have a baby, I’m guessing most couple’s would say that the highest earner stay in full time work whilst the other one stay at home, so it’s a bit of a cycle

I had a chap who used to work with me who was the primary carer for his 2 kids. His wife is a consultant at McKinsey who will outearn him by quite a lot. For me it makes no difference whatsoever if the man stays at home and raises the kids. Unfortunately we still live in a society where a lot of blokes would quite simply take the piss or possibly look down on such a thing. Who cares, it’s that family’s life they do what’s right for them