Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Estate Agents

Comments

• Options
    Mine has been on with Robinsons for quite a while. Started well, but has since faded, no viewings now for a few months. When they do book one, they pull out right at the last minute. Just moved to Bow and Jackson. New company but straight on it. Three viewings in a week ! I’m really confident it will sell soon, but you just never know. I’ve told the wife we need to stop getting over excited, things do sometimes go wrong.
  • Options
    I never trust them.

A guy advertises a property for 300k.
    The agent gets and offer of 290k and strongly urges you to take it.

You face a 10k hit.
    The agent faces a reduction in commission earnings of £100.

You do the maths.
  • Options

I never trust them.

You face a 10k hit.

You do the maths.

I'm more in the mind that the Estate Agent overvalues it from the start as many homeowners will go for the EA giving them the highest valuation. 6 weeks pass with little or no viewings & then owner had to drop to the more realistic price.

Also I know EA have many potential purchasers on their books & "force" them to view newly registered properties to look like they are doing their job. This is why you get a lot of no shows as the viewer has been railroaded into the booking.

• Options

Your estate agent does a lot more than take pictures and wait for the phone to ring.

A good agent will not even need to wait for it to be online before having people in your door.

You really do get what you pay for and remember agents want to help you sell it's the only way we make any money ourselves.

Ask about some finer details of the transaction, are photos professional? (If not pay the extra and get them) who will be progressing the sale? No point in accepting an offer but never moving out!

Visit them in their offices, you have met 1 person from each agency, go and meet the people that you will be speaking to on a daily basis. Is their office presentable, tidy and professional.

All valid points but to counter them emove sent a very good photographer round and we were allowed up to 25 photos in our ad which we took up and used the lot. They placed a very professional ad on their own site plus all the mainstream house selling portals. The floor plan was much better than I have witnessed at a traditional estate agents.

And the best bit, they arranged for 3 x veiwings within a week of the house going on the market and we got the £800k asking price.

If I was an estate agent right now I would be looking for alternative career choices as I can see them going the same way as a lot of our high street outlets due to on line compitition.
  • Options

Your estate agent does a lot more than take pictures and wait for the phone to ring.

A good agent will not even need to wait for it to be online before having people in your door.

You really do get what you pay for and remember agents want to help you sell it's the only way we make any money ourselves.

Ask about some finer details of the transaction, are photos professional? (If not pay the extra and get them) who will be progressing the sale? No point in accepting an offer but never moving out!

Visit them in their offices, you have met 1 person from each agency, go and meet the people that you will be speaking to on a daily basis. Is their office presentable, tidy and professional.

All valid points but to counter them emove sent a very good photographer round and we were allowed up to 25 photos in our ad which we took up and used the lot. They placed a very professional ad on their own site plus all the mainstream house selling portals. The floor plan was much better than I have witnessed at a traditional estate agents.

And the best bit, they arranged for 3 x veiwings within a week of the house going on the market and we got the £800k asking price.

If I was an estate agent right now I would be looking for alternative career choices as I can see them going the same way as a lot of our high street outlets due to on line compitition.
    Finally! Been waiting all my life for those smug gits to get their comeuppance!

No offence to any lifers who are EAs. :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    estate agents are a bit like plumbers/tradesmen because they earn a wage there crooks, believe me they don't all drive sports cars, my mum certainly doesn't,unfortunately its one of the industries where you get a lot of twats that work in it, similar to "wine merchants"

funny thing is its comparible with the outrage of people using uber, use an online estate agent or a polish plumber no hassle yet if you dare get an uber instead of a traditional black cab your satan reborn.

a sales negotiator at your move gets paid 16k basic a year with there commission structure of 3% of your moves fee so if a house is sold of £300,000 the actual member of staff that sold it would receive £270.00

of course with using a proper company ie not an internet start up you do have agents doing the leg work and viewings etc.

also to add to @eaststandmike what do you propose all these people that work in the retail/real estate sector do for work?
  • Options
    My mate owns/runs Hunters in Dartford. If you PM me i will give you his details i'm sure he will do you a good deal.
  • Options
    Onlyme said:

My mate owns/runs Hunters in Dartford. If you PM me i will give you his details i'm sure he will do you a good deal.

Cheers for that. Hunters were one of the agents that came round yesterday !
  • Options
    What annoys me is the fees are a percentage of sale price.
    Why ?

They dont do any more work selling a 4 bed for 500k than a 3 bed for 400k so why get paid more ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018

I’m intending to sell a house in the Dartford area soon. Just had 3 High Street agencies around today plus an online firm for valuations.
    What a minefield this is. Go online and pay less or stick with the traditional firms. And why don’t many agencies open on Sundays ?!

Anyone been through this process recently ?

Hi mate,

I run a local hybrid estate agents and have been selling quite a few in the Dartford area lately. Would be up for a chat. As we're hybrid, we pass the savings of not having a high street shop on to you but still are based on a no sale no fee. Call me or PM if you like? 07951115212 www.simmonsandco.co.uk

When setting up my own agency, I noticed that no one really goes in to the high street shops anymore (knowledge from working in some) and that everyone just goes on to Zoopla etc. But with agents like Purplebricks, you'll pay for a service of which they might not supply you with. As what incentive will they have after you've paid them upfront?

Even if you don't want a valuation from myself, I'd still love to give you advice on what option to take.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I never trust them.

You face a 10k hit.

You do the maths.

I'm more in the mind that the Estate Agent overvalues it from the start as many homeowners will go for the EA giving them the highest valuation. 6 weeks pass with little or no viewings & then owner had to drop to the more realistic price.

Also I know EA have many potential purchasers on their books & "force" them to view newly registered properties to look like they are doing their job. This is why you get a lot of no shows as the viewer has been railroaded into the booking.

I don't believe in over valuing as in the end you could end up with less than the actual value of your property. First of all, if you're looking to sell you don't want to be on the market for months and second of all if you're overvalued at first and then still on the market with the same agent people will start to think something is wrong with your property. And if it is the latter, then people will either not view it or offer you less knowing that you are desperate to sell.
  • Options
    Estate Agents' - Morals of a sewer rat!! All about how much they can make out of you whilst happily stitching you up at the same time! Get a real job!!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

But online is so much cheaper, we've just flung one on tepilo, see how that goes...

Taxi_Lad said:

Just taken ours off the market. Anthony Martin were absolutely useless

Likewise to my 1st post (on page 2) in this thread. If you guys need any help or advice, give me a shout.
  • Options

Estate Agents' - Morals of a sewer rat!! All about how much they can make out of you whilst happily stitching you up at the same time! Get a real job!!

Thanks mate! In my new position as a rat, I best become buddies with Roland! ;)
  • Options
    I do think there is a large element of luck involved when you sell a house. You have to have your house up for sale at the right time as that one buyer is looking. I don’t believe estate agents can talk anyone into shelling out for the biggest purchase of their lives but once they have one for your house good ones do tend to push thing along smoothly.
  • Options
    The only input I have from the relatively recent experience of two of my daughters is avoid Wards like the plague!
  • Options

I’m intending to sell a house in the Dartford area soon. Just had 3 High Street agencies around today plus an online firm for valuations.
    What a minefield this is. Go online and pay less or stick with the traditional firms. And why don’t many agencies open on Sundays ?!

Hi mate,

I run a local hybrid estate agents and have been selling quite a few in the Dartford area lately. Would be up for a chat. As we're hybrid, we pass the savings of not having a high street shop on to you but still are based on a no sale no fee. Call me or PM if you like? 07951115212 www.simmonsandco.co.uk

When setting up my own agency, I noticed that no one really goes in to the high street shops anymore (knowledge from working in some) and that everyone just goes on to Zoopla etc. But with agents like Purplebricks, you'll pay for a service of which they might not supply you with. As what incentive will they have after you've paid them upfront?

Even if you don't want a valuation from myself, I'd still love to give you advice on what option to take.

Thanks

Hi mate,

Thanks
    Cheers for that. I’ll certainly give you a call
  • Options
    Why not put your property on for more.
    Unless your in a rush to sell, im quite happy to wait a month and bring the price down if no viewings.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone on here work for or can personally recommend an agent based fairly locally to Sidcup?
  • Options

Recently 'sold' (well, in a chain of 4) our house. Started with the cheapest (Kings) who were bloody useless. One viewing in 8 months! After a month of this we went to joint agents with Wards. Totally different. Took professional photos (rather than on phone), actively phoned round and gots lots of viewings. Very impressed - although not the cheapest. I think you get what you pay for.

Bought my current place via Kings. I agree bloody crap. Would never deal with them again
    Brought a studio flat with them in Dartford.....end of 1988....worst thing I ever done (young and very nieve then). Paid £55,000 for it and the value plummeted from the day I moved in, finally sold it for £45,000 around 2000-01. Totally accept that the state of the market wasn't Kings fault, though the advice i was given was that the value wouldn't go down and the fact that the owner was one of the agents brothers still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.
  • Options

Anyone on here work for or can personally recommend an agent based fairly locally to Sidcup?

Avoid C(r)apital Estate Agents like the plague. We were after a house in Sidcup a few years ago and they done nothing but try and rip us off and I'm so glad we decided to stick where we are.

They pretty much bullied us into upping our £1m asking price offer to £1.05m claiming others were interested and then demanding we sold our house and one of our flats through them, although they had absolutely no presence in Petts Wood and Blackheath where the flat is. Then they tried to bully us into accepting £650k on our house which was up at £695k at the time.

We was on the beach in Mexico and was losing our shit and I phoned them to tell them where to stick their poxy house.

Have since learnt the house in Sidcup went for £985k and it was clear they were just trying to ramp up the price. Absolute crooks.
    Taxi_Lad said:

Just taken ours off the market. Anthony Martin were absolutely useless

I knew nothing about AM until a week or so ago when my Mum & Dad decided to sell their bungalow in Bexleyheath to move nearer to us. They negotiated the fee from 1% down to 0.85% and the house was sold STC within 48hrs before it has even been photographer for right move.

Something I would advise everyone, make sure your estate agent uses a professional photographer with a proper camera rather than someone just using a point and shoot. It will make all the difference when the images are taken by someone who actually knows what they are doing. If they havent got one, send me a PM and I'll do it for you for a modest fee on a Sat or Sun.

• Options
    Do some online work before you bring anyone round, when the estate agent from Your Move gave us a valuation I swiftly pointed out that a house 200 yards away with virtually no garden, no garage, a bedroom less, no dining room and every room in the house was smaller. Had sold a fortnight earlier for £20k more than he had valued our house for God did I enjoy making that fucker squirm. Eventually sold the house a year later for £75k more than his original estimated price
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    There are good & bad Estate Agents......like there are good & bad car salesmen.....or Financial Advisor for that matter.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Have since learnt the house in Sidcup went for £985k and it was clear they were just trying to ramp up the price. Absolute crooks.

That's their job though. To get the maximum amount for their client - the one whose paying their fee.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I used Golfie's recommendation to sell my MIL's house in Woolwich.
    Robinson-Jackson Plumstead office. I couldn't praise them enough, so far.
    I deal with Will Chidley & Luke McConville & I can't fault them.
    They found a buyer within days at the absolute top of my price range.
    Obviously, can't speak for the Sidcup office if there is one.
    I got 3 round (and told them) & agreed a 1% deal.
  • Options
    We used Mann& Co in Sidcup high street to sell my Dad's bungalow in Sidcup very helpful and a weekly update on how it was going sold in 7 weeks of going up for sale also agreed a set fee before hand
  • Options
    Addickted said:

JohnBoyUK said:

That's their job though. To get the maximum amount for their client - the one whose paying their fee.

Totally agree with you re: getting the higher price but it was their whole attitude, demeanour on top of that, too much to go into on here but would advise anyone to steer well clear.
  • Options
    David Evans in Well Hall Road were really good when we sold our house in....Well Hall Road.....sorry not much use if your selling in Dartford.