Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will go up from L1 this season?

Comments

• Options
    autos
    Wigan
    Blackburn

playoffs
    Shrewsbury
    Pompey
    Charlton
    Rotherham

playoff winners;

Pompey

as others say league position means nothing, Shrewsbury are going to have won a lot of games this season and could finish 20 points in front of 4th and have nothing and be gutted and then lose in playoffs.
  • Options

It is usually the team that comes third that goes up isn't it? I ouldnt be surprised to see them go out in the first leg however after being so close to the prize

In the 18 league one play offs this century, only 5 times has the side finishing 3rd gone up.

4th has gone up 6 times.
    5th - 3 times.
    6th - 4 times.
    So pretty even then. Makes no real odds where you finish, who you play, or whether is home first or away.
  • Options
    I think it will be us, Rotherham, Plymouth and Shrewsbury in the play offs.
  • Options
    Our away game at Shrewsbury will tell us quite a bit - they looked a different class to us a month or so ago under robbo but will they now? Pompey with Jacket in charge are the other main threat - none of the others should be a major obstacle assuming blackburn and wigan go straight up
  • Options

Too many 6-pointers yet to play for each of the playoff hopefuls.
    Dog eat dog. Impossible to call it.

Plymouth Argyle have to play 4 of them - and have 2 in their next 2 games.
    We've just won 2 of our 6-pointers, in the last 3 games.

Plus all have to play at least 1 of the 3 automatic prospects.

As Curbs used to say in the Prem, "You have to make sure you win your mini-league of the teams around you."
    Do that and we are halfway there.
  • Options

Often the most in form team wins the playoffs. Hopefully Blackburn will finish in the top two with Wigan. Then the two in form teams are us and Portsmouth, lets hope we are kept apart in the playoffs and possibly meet at Wembley.

If we get into the play offs we would be the form team so why not fancy us going all the way, keep the faith :wink:

Is it actually the case that, statistically, the team in third normally wins the playoffs rather than the inform team (not necessarily mutually exclusive of course)?
  • Options
    Peterborough have a hard run-in: away to Plymouth, Blackburn, Shrewsbury and Portsmouth. I think that rules them out.

Several of our other rivals are playing each other, so that means points dropped for sure.
  • Options

Wigan, Blackburn, Charlton.

^^ What he said ^^
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It is usually the team that comes third that goes up isn't it? I ouldnt be surprised to see them go out in the first leg however after being so close to the prize

In the 18 league one play offs this century, only 5 times has the side finishing 3rd gone up.

4th has gone up 6 times.
    5th - 3 times.
    6th - 4 times.
    So pretty even then. Makes no real odds where you finish, who you play, or whether is home first or away.
    Exactly. Last 2 play off winners (Barnsley and millwall) finished 6th.

Barnsley lost 16 of their 46 games and went up.

Portsmouth have lost 17 of 40 games and people are tipping them to win the play offs as a 'form team'.

Play offs are a lottery, anything can happen.
  • Options
    Blackburn, Shrewsbury and Wigan, in any order, but they're in a (mini) league of their own.
  • Options
    I’ve got a grand on the bookies saying it’s us.
  • Options
    On footballing terms , I truest hope Shrewsbury get an automatic promtion place - would be fitting and great to see the underdog do it!
    However , if they end up in the play offs I feel they will do the best out of the potential 8/9 teams chasing those positions as they are without expectations and can play freely knowing regardless of what happens they will have had an azmaing season!
  • Options

I'm gonna assume Wigan and Blackburn go up automatically and of the rest I fancy us against any of them in the final.

Semi finals would be the worry for me, wouldn't fancy having to go to Shrews/Pompey midweek needing to win.

Yeah, I think Wigan and Blackburn are the only two teams who would outclass us if either ended up in the playoffs - as in I would back them to beat us comfortably over 2 legs.

If we keep this form going I'd put us on a par with Shrewsbury (don't mean to be disrespectful, but I can't really believe I'm saying that) going into the playoffs and would then give us just as much chance as anyone else in 3rd-6th of going up, but it'd be a bit of a shootout.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

On footballing terms , I truest hope Shrewsbury get an automatic promtion place - would be fitting and great to see the underdog do it!
    However , if they end up in the play offs I feel they will do the best out of the potential 8/9 teams chasing those positions as they are without expectations and can play freely knowing regardless of what happens they will have had an azmaing season!

I disagree, they've been fighting for automatic all season, ending up in the playoffs will feel like disappointment, whereas for teams like us, Plymouth and Pompey, the playoffs will feel like a great success when you consider where we've been this season.
  • Options
    A Portsmouth supporting mate of mine has just done a prediction site predicting every score between now and end of season. His final table had 5 sides level on 75 points. Rotherham and Scunny had better goal diffs but 3 of us had the same. On this we get a playoff place as we have scored more goals than Pompey or Plymouth!
    It won't happen like this but it shows have tight it all is.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Just bumped into an Argyle mate of mine in our village Co-op.
    He said how everyone is really impressed with Charlton's sudden surge and said they're the in-form team to fear.

"If Argyle get into the play-offs", he said, "that's a bonus. Just before Christmas, we were bottom and people would've been relieved just to finish 5th from bottom. We're just enjoying the feel-good factor of the team on a winning run.

"If we get into the playoffs, great - but if not, it's been a bleddy good season."

• Options
    Wigan, Blackburn and Charlton
  • Options
    Still think Pompey will play some part in the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me it is about maintaining form or finding it if you have lost it. Some will and some won't. At the moment we are optimistic because not only have we won 3 on the bounce, they have been 3 excellent performances. We have reason to think we are on the crest of a wave but a few injuries - Fosu got injured on Monday - and you are brought back down to earth.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Just bumped into an Argyle mate of mine in our village Co-op.
    He said how everyone is really impressed with Charlton's sudden surge and said they're the in-form team to fear.

"If Argyle get into the play-offs", he said, "that's a bonus. Just before Christmas, we were bottom and people would've been relieved just to finish 5th from bottom. We're just enjoying the feel-good factor of the team on a winning run.

"If we get into the playoffs, great - but if not, it's been a bleddy good season."

Yes, it's been an incredible turnaround

When we lost there in August it was seen as a terrible result and shock scoreline. If we'd played the away match in February, we would have expected to lose!
  • Options
    I didn't go but wasn't we all over them up until they scored?
  • Options
    One of the four play-off teams will go up. Why not us?
  • Options

I was there. It was the usual tippy tappy stuff from Robinson though. We looked good and it was early days so we thought we were good. But, we weren't and were beaten with two good goals in the second half.
  • Options

We came fourth when we won in 1998
    Millwall finished six when they won last year.

Position doesnt usually mean anything, its like that Brighton v Palace game a few years ago... Brighton should have won that Semi-Final tie yet because they didn't show up in one of the legs, they were left with too much work to do

Same with us effectively when we lost to Swindon with the Nicky Bailey penalty - We didn't show up for the Swindon tie, thankfully it was by chance that Deon Burton got a goal back and put us in with a chance at the Valley
    The Bailey penalty still haunts me....
    Will never, ever forget that game.

We were in total control, and had a great counter attack to seal the game, and Bailey needlessly lost possession on the edge of their bow, when if he had played Lloyd Sam in we would have scored.

They went up the other end, and worked a 1 v1 with their quickest striker, Charlie Austin against possibly the slowest centre half that we have ever had - Miguel Llera.

Sending off and a penalty resulted, and then came the inevitable result from the penalties, though it did mean we avoided the humiliation of losing to Millwall in the final.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Rob said:

I was there. It was the usual tippy tappy stuff from Robinson though. We looked good and it was early days so we thought we were good. But, we weren't and were beaten with two good goals in the second half.
    Yes, I remember KAG and Reeco coming off the bench as we tried to get back into the match, but it was all powderpuff
  • Options

Rob said:

I was there too. Hard to see how good our first half chances were as they down the other end, but on another day we could have had 2 or 3. However, once we went behind we wouldn't have scored for a month of Sunday's - just like the game at The Priestfield 2 months later. We must have had 75% possession but it was backwards & sideways & not being able to get behind them. Woeful.
  • Options
    Pompey will beat us in the final
    Plymouth will be close , as will Bradford but I think we’ll win that due to them being there last year
    All the rest I’m confident we’ll beat in the final

Wembley turn outs of course .

• Options
    Wigan Blackburn and us,we have only just started playing as we can,and I think we can get even better over the last few games.When we won at wembley,we won 9 and drew 1 and were the form team,the team that finishes 3rd often feel sorry for themselvess,and cant handle the play offs.