Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If You Could Choose... Bowyer or Powell?

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer
  • Options
    Bowyer for me, could be the new Eddie Howe, who knows?
  • Options
    So far as anyone is aware, Powell isn't available.
  • Options

Robinson. He has passion.

Agreed. And a terriffic formation that he's prepared to stick to through thick and thin.
  • Options
    Chris Powell has moved on and so must we,Lee Bowyer will hopefully continue as he has started and will earn the opportunity to manage the club on a permenant basis
  • Options

Hate this type of question...

So, some of you think Bowyer deserves the sack?

What a very strange and unfair comment. Not one post before yours said Bowyer deserved the sack.
  • Options
    There is definitely something of the Curbs about the way Lee Bowyer has conducted himself so far as caretaker. Calm and thoughtful but I suspect fully gets the attention of the players when required. At this point it’s way too early to make a judgement but I do like what I’m hearing and seeing.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Rob62 said:

Amazing how ready people are to completely ignore bowyer’s past. No way should he be manager for me

I don't think people are ignoring his past. But are you seriously saying he should not be given any opportunities because of stuff that happened 17 years ago?

As stated above I am a PCGRCSMOTLE but there are very few people who are beyond redemption and he is on record as acknowledging the mistakes he made as a young man.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Powell has moved on aswell

Bit arrogant to think that all we have to do is jusr click our fingers Powell will drop everything and be at sparrows lane within 20minutes

90 minutes then if he pays the DART charge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bielsa
  • Options
    Bowyer
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Bowyer has done fantastically well so far. Three wins in three games is worth more the just the nine points it's gleaned. The whole "feeling" about the team is now positive. We seem to be going in to games expecting to win. And players seem also to have upped their game. All this at precisely the right time in the season.

So, of course, he's demonstrating all the right attributes to get the most out of the fit players we have now.

But, as far as being a full-time, permanent manager from the Summer on is concerned, how can anyone say he's the right choice? We don't know.

We don't know how good he is at determining what additions the squad needs - he's never had to do that. We don't know how well he can evaluate, choose and negotiate new signings - he's never done that before.

It's critical that the person who takes charge from next season - however soon that person is hired - can ensure we buy, sell, loan and borrow players that will move the club forward. Bowyer has never done that. Will he be any good? Who knows - we would just be guessing. Has Chris Powell demonstrated he can do this? Yes, brilliantly.

Bowyer might be a good choice for next season. But it would be a big gamble. And perhaps a gamble too far for a business group already taking a huge punt by sinking dozens of millions of pounds into the club.

I hope they make the right choice. I don't think that would be a manager with no experience whatsoever in buying and selling players.

I agree to a certain extent, but get the right DoF in place, then maybe it could work for Bowyer?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Powell has moved on aswell

Bit arrogant to think that all we have to do is jusr click our fingers Powell will drop everything and be at sparrows lane within 20minutes

I guess I meant the question to be more theoretical. I was more interested in whether all those (and there are many) who wanted Powell back as some sort of return to the good ole days still wanted him in light of our recent play with Bowyer.
  • Options
    I think this thread has taken a disturbing direction. It was a silly question in the first place but talking about incidents in the past is not right. Judge the man in front of you not the boy!
  • Options
    Why do so many charlton fans want to keep leaving in the past it's time to focus on the future and start rebuilding on and off the pitch. There is light at the end of the tunnel. So me me it should be bowyer and ones the take over is complete we can look for a new manger if one is needed.
  • Options
    Bowyer, why change when it's working really well?

Stupid question.
  • Options
    Agree with others...even Bowyer said himself. If it aint broke, don't try to fix it.

Head says Bowyer, Heart Powell. As others have said though, don't go back as it might not be the same outcome. That said Powell just seems to be an itch that at some point will need to be scratched. At present I don't think it would be fair to poach him from Southend. He is an honourable man, which is why we idolise him. Leave him be, until something needs messing with. If he was free then get it done.

Bowyer until it goes wrong...which at Charlton can't be far away.
  • Options
    To be fair, with a very small number of exceptions it goes wrong at some point for all managers. lets just live in the present. Bowyer has come in and done a terrific job and hopefully that will continue. We should all wish him well.

Powell was a Charlton legend on the pitch and gave us an exciting promotion that we enjoyed. He has gone and to compare the two is ridiculous at this stage, whatever you think of either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Bowyer AND Jackson get on and deliver championship football next season any new owner would be as bad as Duchatelet to get rid of them.
  • Options
    I wonder how many people have changed their mind on this question the last week or so.

It was about 70% Bowyer a week and a half ago. I suspect that would not be the case now.

If we could (I know it is not possible) replace Bowyer with Powell, would you?
  • Options
    Neither thank you, Bowyer has proved that he's not very good. Powell has also proved recently that he's not that good.
    We need someone like Nathan Jones or even Neil Warnock. Someone to give this club/team a good kick up the arse, get rid of the dead wood (and there's a lot of it) and play with some fucking urgency.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Would Jones be willing (assuming we had an owner he would want to work for)?
  • Options

Warnock would be coming down and Jones up - Warnock probably only as a challenge or having some sort of ownership - but i did say 'like'
  • Options

Warnock would be coming down and Jones up - Warnock probably only as a challenge or having some sort of ownership - but i did say 'like'
    Sorry, I changed my comment before you posted. Still, it answered the question anyway. =)
  • Options
    To think after winning his first three games, there were fans comparing Bowyer to Curbishley.

Just like the first three games did not make Bowyer the second coming, the next three do not make him shit. My personal suspicion is that he is actually probably just an average football manager, but he still has the rest of the season to prove me wrong and win some more games.
  • Options

To think after winning his first three games, there were fans comparing Bowyer to Curbishley.

Just like the first three games did not make Bowyer the second coming, the next three do not make him shit. My personal suspicion is that he is actually probably just an average football manager, but he still has the rest of the season to prove me wrong and win some more games.

Think it's too early to describe him as a good, average or shit manager. Needs to do all his badges and get some more coaching experience, very few can just jump straight into it successfully.
  • Options

Neither thank you, Bowyer has proved that he's not very good. Powell has also proved recently that he's not that good.
    We need someone like Nathan Jones or even Neil Warnock. Someone to give this club/team a good kick up the arse, get rid of the dead wood (and there's a lot of it) and play with some fucking urgency.

Hope this is a joke.