Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If You Could Choose... Bowyer or Powell?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018

Robinson. He has passion my hub caps and I want them back.

• Options
    Bowyer, if you're looking back you fall over what's in front of you.
  • Options
    Charlton are going forward. Bow.
  • Options
    I want Luzon, how on earth could anyone not want the next Alex Ferguson?
  • Options

Remember Luzon was given the job after Madame Dozy had given 20 interviews in 24 hours.
    Pity she also forgot to get him a work permit.

• Options
    Bow it’s all about looking forwards
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Remember Luzon was given the job after Madame Dozy had given 20 interviews in 24 hours.

There are so many moments in the last four years when I thought we had reached our nadir, and when that crouching idiot was in the dugout, I'd thought we'got there, but no they gave us Carol Fry.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I'd stick with Bowyer for now. I'm not sure how well it would work out if Powell came back. The time it all happened was really special and it felt like a number of stars aligned, and I'm not sure that would happen all over again, and I'd hate it to end badly for him again at Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No one think Bowyer could be a better prospect than Powell?

Early days but the signs are there.

Need to calm down about, its 3 games. Let's not forget how well we started this season under Robinson.

Having said that, I wouldn't want us to go back in for Powell at this moment. He does know League 1 but not necessarily going to come back and win the League again (if we don't go up this season).

I am not sure Bowyer is the right man for next season, and we are still unsure of what is going on regarding the takeover, but he must be in with a shout. But it is just 3 games, 1 against a poor side and I am not going overboard on him.
  • Options
    Bowyer has done fantastically well so far. Three wins in three games is worth more the just the nine points it's gleaned. The whole "feeling" about the team is now positive. We seem to be going in to games expecting to win. And players seem also to have upped their game. All this at precisely the right time in the season.

So, of course, he's demonstrating all the right attributes to get the most out of the fit players we have now.

But, as far as being a full-time, permanent manager from the Summer on is concerned, how can anyone say he's the right choice? We don't know.

We don't know how good he is at determining what additions the squad needs - he's never had to do that. We don't know how well he can evaluate, choose and negotiate new signings - he's never done that before.

It's critical that the person who takes charge from next season - however soon that person is hired - can ensure we buy, sell, loan and borrow players that will move the club forward. Bowyer has never done that. Will he be any good? Who knows - we would just be guessing. Has Chris Powell demonstrated he can do this? Yes, brilliantly.

Bowyer might be a good choice for next season. But it would be a big gamble. And perhaps a gamble too far for a business group already taking a huge punt by sinking dozens of millions of pounds into the club.

I hope they make the right choice. I don't think that would be a manager with no experience whatsoever in buying and selling players.
  • Options
    At this moment it’s obvious to say Bowyer, he’s got us playing our best football in years and we’ve gone from giving up on the season to walking over play-off rivals. But, I think people need to remember that it only been 3 games, we all obviously hope this continues but there’s no guarantee, at the end of the season we’ll have a much better idea of just how good Bowyer can be.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Powell is under contract at Southend and not available. Bowyer has completely turned the team around. The question should be 'why has Bowyer not been made manager on a permanent basis?'.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Bowyer has done fantastically well so far. Three wins in three games is worth more the just the nine points it's gleaned. The whole "feeling" about the team is now positive. We seem to be going in to games expecting to win. And players seem also to have upped their game. All this at precisely the right time in the season.

So, of course, he's demonstrating all the right attributes to get the most out of the fit players we have now.

But, as far as being a full-time, permanent manager from the Summer on is concerned, how can anyone say he's the right choice? We don't know.

We don't know how good he is at determining what additions the squad needs - he's never had to do that. We don't know how well he can evaluate, choose and negotiate new signings - he's never done that before.

It's critical that the person who takes charge from next season - however soon that person is hired - can ensure we buy, sell, loan and borrow players that will move the club forward. Bowyer has never done that. Will he be any good? Who knows - we would just be guessing. Has Chris Powell demonstrated he can do this? Yes, brilliantly.

Bowyer might be a good choice for next season. But it would be a big gamble. And perhaps a gamble too far for a business group already taking a huge punt by sinking dozens of millions of pounds into the club.

I hope they make the right choice. I don't think that would be a manager with no experience whatsoever in buying and selling players.

If bow was made perm hed need an experienced older head around him like a lennie or a curbs ....but the bigger worry is that there is no current infrastructure that we know of that is planning for anything next season....that can't last for much longer even roland knows that
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Amazing how ready people are to completely ignore bowyer’s past. No way should he be manager for me

So we shouldn't employ the guy because of something that happened when he was a teenager or an incident outside a Leeds nightclub almost 20 years ago?
  • Options

Rob62 said:

Amazing how ready people are to completely ignore bowyer’s past. No way should he be manager for me

So we shouldn't employ the guy because of something that happened when he was a teenager or an incident outside a Leeds nightclub almost 20 years ago?
    Its that attitude that meant Hargreaves was a fixture in England's midfield and Bowyer, a much better and more dynamic player wasn't

• Options
    Bowyer, without a shadow of a doubt, if only because he is earning his right to be given a full season at the helm.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

I looked past them when he played and I will easily look past them now

Remember he was not guilty in Leeds
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why does anybody onhere have to be divisive about something that is currently irrelevant. Having endured RD for the last four years we do not need to create a hypothetical division amongst the support. In my mind LB has the job as long as he is successful - if that be taking us to the premier league so be it.
    If he falls over we have another longer serving and much loved servant of the club waiting by the Kursaal. How many clubs can be in that position (certainly not the baggies).
  • Options
    Daft thread this one, however no going back so Powell is a big no for me (await abuse) Bowyer till the end of season then new owner make a decision stick or recruit.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Hope Powell for Charlton Ladies
    Chris Powell for Director of Football
    Don Powell on Drums
    Peter Powell as DJ
    Paddy Powell as groundsman
    Robert Powell on the 39 steps.
    Baden Powell as chief scout for academy.
    Colin Powell (pronounced Kolin) security

Lord Bowyer to carry on regardless.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Win in Saturday and Bowyer will have the same starting record as Powell - played 4 won 4.

I wouldn’t go back to Powell. There’s only one person who deserves the job at the moment - Lee Bowyer.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Exactly that.
  • Options

Rob62 said:

Something that he was found not guilty for.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

REALLY? you'd hold the McDonalds incident when he was a teenager against him when considering him for the job?

there are people on here with worse criminal records than Lee.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

TBH, I think this deserves a separate thread, just because at some point there should be a discussion about Bowyer's past misdeeds (as if it doesn't come up already). For me, I think we should be looking at the Lee Bowyer aged 41, not the 19 year old. He has enough mud sticking to him from his early playing years and if this has been addressed by him I've missed it; BUT people deserve to come back from their mistakes and learn and move on.

He's earning the right to be our manager, even if for some they will never forgive his youthful errors. One mate of mine described him as "an obnoxious racist". I'm sure he has moved on, but at the moment I'd have him as manager at least till the end of the season.

And for what it's worth, I think we've been a soft touch for almost all the failed Belgian experiment and welcome the steel and aggression that Bowyer has got into the side.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

She must have been exhausted to be fair