Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC 3 Rotherham 1- POST MATCH THREAD 02/04/2018

Comments

• First time this season I’ve seen us win, not that I’ve been much.
    I haven’t seen us play with so much fire in the belly for years. I remember Bowyer being the type of player who would press hard for 90 minutes and now he has his team doing the same. Not a classic game but a game against a the type of team you get plenty of at this level. Big ,hard working and physical.
    The first goal was maybe a little fortunate but was a result of the setup and not letting the opponents settle. The second goal was from a free kick which really was a bit silly and needless to gift us but like the first, we pressed them in their own half and probably forced the foul. Third goal, worth the entry money alone.
    If Karl had played 442 he still would not of got the win, his idea of that formation and how to play it is totally different to what we saw today.
    Good old Roland through taking the least interest in 4 years of ownership in us and in, hopefully his final weeks of ownership,he has stumbled on what we wanted from him 4 long years ago.
    It could have been so different for us all but with a bit of luck things may well be looking up for us at long last.
  • am I the last post match fan still not home?

Great day. Shame pubs and kebab shops didn’t feel the same by closing early.

Chaaaaaaaaarlton, Charlton Charlton....

Southeastern playing up again?
  • wmcf123 said:

reeves biggest critic has been me but today’s performance was excellent and he is now showing what robinson saw in him. Really very good and thoroughly deserves his place in the team. Joe aribo was immense as was hopefully our permanent captain, Pearce. Zyro is a proper centre forward who strikes the ball well ; I understand josh being pissed off but its all about the team and not about him. I think dijksteel would have and should have started as he tackles and robs the ball better than konsa but maybe he will get a chance on saturday. With Pompey winning that will be some game against them. I like Bowyers style....very understated , very unemotional, almost deadpan but really really focused. Well done team, management and fans today. Brilliant.

Magennis can have no complaints.
    Good for Magennis to be rested & get back his strength for the run in. Competition for places is definitely a good thing.
  • What a fantastic result and a really good game. Rotherham were no slouches and in the early going they were on top. But, our play nowadays will just wear teams down. Whoever would have thought of hunting in packs. :-)
    The influence of Lord Bow and jacko being felt all over the park. And to listen to Bowyer's post game comments is so refreshing. He seams to approach the game in such a simple way but it works. And, reminding them what they're aiming for is priceless. He certainly has them focused again. Long may it last. Brilliant
  • edited April 2018
    Ok, we've had a drink a dance and a dong now on to the next one.
    Didn't read all comments so if it has been said already, I'll double up.
    Ordinary teams learn from losses.
    We can't afford this luxury anymore so it's important to take an honest look at yesterday's game and see where we can do better.
    Our defence line sits low.
    That is not necessarily a bad thing but we are prone to 2 things. The first is what I call pinball goals like the one we conceded, due to the number of easy unchallenged crosses we allow the opposition.
    The second is rebounding balls to the vacant edge of the box allowing shots with our keeper unsighted.
    For all those who criticize Kashi, that's where we miss him (or someone else to cover the edge of the area).
    I'm thinking about that free shot on goal that went over the bar for Rotherham when it was still 0:0.
  • Clinical rather than fantastic yesterday against a Rotherham side that could have been 2 up in the first ten minutes. Punished their errors at the right time, topped off with a wonderful goal from Aribo.

Back in the play offs now and looking good to stay there if the boys keep putting in that sort of effort. If we were to play Rotherham over 2 legs I would fancy our chances.

Also it goes to show how this league is not that good and we should be in the top 3, but only one person decided his tactics would work, when clearly they never did. Different side now since he left.
  • Ok, we've had a drink a dance and a dong now on to the next one.
    We can't afford this luxury anymore so it's important to take an honest look at yesterday's game and see where we can do better.
    That is not necessarily a bad thing but we are prone to 2 things. The first is what I call pinball goals like the one we conceded, due to the number of easy unchallenged crosses we allow the opposition.
    The second is rebounding balls to the vacant edge of the box allowing shots with our keeper unsighted.
    For all those who criticize Kashi, that's where we miss him (or someone else to cover the edge of the area).
    I'm thinking about that free shot on goal that went over the bar for Rotherham when it was still 0:0.

We don't miss Kashi at all. He slows things down , passes exclusively sideways and often gets caught in possession. That said, I'm unsure who would play in midfield if Aribo or JFC were injured.

Isn't it great to be really enjoying the matches again ? First time since the end of 14/15 when we had that excellent midfield ?
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

We don't miss Kashi at all. He slows things down , passes exclusively sideways and often gets caught in possession. That said, I'm unsure who would play in midfield if Aribo or JFC were injured.

Isn't it great to be really enjoying the matches again ? First time since the end of 14/15 when we had that excellent midfield ?
    Kashi or not, isn't my point. I tried to point out what to me look like defensive positioning problem, not a personnel one.
  • edited April 2018

wmcf123 said:

Kashi or not, isn't my point. I tried to point out what to me look like defensive positioning problem, not a personnel one.
    Really? We've conceded one goal in the last three matches scoring nine and Bowyer has given credit to JJ for the work he's been doing with the defence especially their shape. It doesn't matter how solid you are as a defensive unit though or whether you play a higher line the opposition will always have chances to score especially if you are prepared to go on the front foot and the game is end to end.

Didn't see a problem at Northampton or second half yesterday so no issues here for me.
  • We do need Kashi fit to strengthen the squad, although Djiksteel could play there.
  • edited April 2018
    RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

Really? We've conceded one goal in the last three matches scoring nine and Bowyer has given credit to JJ for the work he's been doing with the defence especially their shape. It doesn't matter how solid you are as a defensive unit though or whether you play a higher line the opposition will always have chances to score especially if you are prepared to go on the front foot and the game is end to end.

Didn't see a problem at Northampton or second half yesterday so no issues here for me.
    Fair enough you can't argue with last 3 games record. Only illustrate how impossible it is to try and change things before we lose a game... I really like to be convinced, I think I'm convinced...
  • edited April 2018

RedChaser said:

wmcf123 said:

Fair enough you can't argue with last 3 games record. Only illustrate how impossible it is to try and change things before they begin to go wrong... I like to be convinced, I think I'm convinced...
    It also depends whether Bowyer's 4-4-2 is a flat midfield 4 or diamond with one player sitting at the bottom of it where JFC started off at Northampton. Bowyer's in game management seems to be more flexible though and JFC didn't sit in front of the back four all game on Friday.

If it was a flat midfield yesterday from the off (I only saw 2nd half online) then with no defensive midfielder the tendency is to sit back a little deeper, we dealt with it though apart from the early bar rattler and pinball for their goal. Also attack is the best form of defence and as a team out of possession we look much more solid these last three games.
  • What a revelation having someone in charge of the squad that on current evidence knows what the fuck he is doing!

CL will be an infinitely more affable place... for now.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018
    I thought their goal was offside at the time and have seen a few times since and still think it was offside.
  • I thought Ben Reeves was immense yesterday, the defensive side of his game was superb, for a small man he won so many headers and broke things up exceptionally well. Was unlucky not to score late on too

Also showed excellent skill right at the death when we were time wasting... Got the ball on the line and ran into the box and also got us a fourth - Was an excellent piece of skill from him to manage that
    Reeves is a very good player - what happened under KR? Seems like half our team went missing....
  • Bless. They seem like nice lads. I always feel bad when these kids make vlogs about losing to us.
  • edited April 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Did anyone else feel that Dijksteel was the better option at RB than Konsa. A few times Konsa looked out of position and hacked at clearances...

Dijksteel gets a bit of criticism for his positional play and follows the ball inside to press like, understandably, a midfielder would naturally do but his ability to recover is special. He is a good athlete and looks comfortable going forward with the prospect of being a very good full back with the right coaching. At the moment I'd say. nothing between him and Konsa for the RB berth .

I think he was unlucky to be left out yesterday but could have been part tactical part protection against overplaying him too soon. I liked the look of him when he came on at full back away at Wigan with his energy and pace into the tackle over 10 yards and he continued to impress on Friday.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Did anyone else feel that Dijksteel was the better option at RB than Konsa. A few times Konsa looked out of position and hacked at clearances...

Konsa looked ponderous and seems too keen to grab at opponents. Dasilva didn't particularly impress me either defensively. I'm not sure how much of this is down to the lack of cover in front of them?

We let in too many crosses and this is a concern going forward - it seems to have been a problem all season.

Pearce and Bauer look very solid together and Amos continues to look assured.

I'm not sure who to play at RB? At LB Page looks better to me defensively than Jay but isn't as good going forward.
  • Anyone know if we will see Solly again this season? May have a tough time getting back in anyway
  • We are a different team!

Look at Aribo, released on the half-way line – he powered forward, aggressive and insistent: BANG!

It’s glorious. One month ago, our midfield players would have stopped. Cautious. Sideways. Frozen.

I don't agree with that. Aribo wouldn't have been playing, it would have likely been Kaikai there running forward trying a stepover losing the ball and it would have been quickly worked up the other end for Pearce to miss-time his run at the attacker and the striker to slot past a completely unprotected Amos.

There was a superb vignette today when we were 3-1 up and deliberately running down the clock, shuffling at the corner flag. Rotherham muscled in, ambushed with agricultural lumps – yet Reeves extricated, twinkle toes, came away with ball, passed to his player...

Who shot low and hard – like Bradley Wright-Phillips. Unexpected, and vicious. Keeper tipped it round for a corner. That was almost 4-1! There were three of our men charging in: all visceral, going for the jugular.

Mavididi just needs to hone his aim and he's going to tear this league up, hopefully the Championship too.

This is marvellous! Last week we made Plymouth look ordinary. Under Robinson we would have lost that game. Today Rotherham were fluid, lithe, tall, and muscular: they hit the bar in the first minute and went damn close soon after. We were stilted, ponderous – yet we flashed back with quick moves.

Agreed 2 games that had Robinson stayed we'd have lost.

Two strikers were always right from the start of the season. Both be mobile and close together: making moves to terrify defenders. Those dreadful games we have watched: poor Magennis isolated, our midfield retreating and defending, unable to advance.

Nobody has said that we wanted anything else than 2 up top?

Michal Zyro did something elemental today. He is a striker: tall and imposing: he controlled a pass with one touch from 22 yards, then shot hard and low. Goal!

Right on the edge of the 18 yard box. But what's 4 yards when it's struck clean enough to slip past the keeper and into the net.

Under Robinson it would have have been shanked and skied. He played weak wingers: peripheral, a defensive concept – and they can’t skin a defender or cross for toffee. It took too long, dreary and dull. The corner didn’t beat the first defender, so they would all scurry back – and lose. We in the Covered End looked at each other in gaping horror – we did not have a single shot on target!

He played the very same wingers, unless they were injured and the first choice corner taker is the same man. It's a change in effort rather than players

It will take a summer of good coaches rehearsing strikers, two men living in each other’s pockets - attackers learning that moves, touches, feints and goals are instinctive. Our midfield will be taught to advance – knowing the precisely weighted pass, cutting and lethal.

Not sure what this is all about...

Meanwhile – with Lee Bowyer, do you think we are in with a chance this season?

Yes