Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC 3 Rotherham 1- POST MATCH THREAD 02/04/2018

Comments

• Options
    Lee Bowyer Managerial record

G W D L GF GA GD Win %
    3 3 0 0 9 1 +8 100.00
  • Options
    I don't hate Karl but feel a bit guilty. If we were not calling for 4-4-2 as fans, would he have perhaps been more open to it. Was it his ego failing to see the blindingly obvious. If say he had changed it, would it have looked like we were right and he was wrong? It is sad because in many aspects he did a decent job for us. I really hope he does learn from this - he is still young enough. It will require being quite hard on himself.
  • Options
    Terrific team performance, special mention to Joe , well played son.
  • Options
    I said in the preview it would be a tough game and as long as we didn't get a red card we would win 3--1. (Bravo Sam)
    Overcame losing Fosu early doors.
    The midfield were tremendous, with Reeves, JFC and Aribo plus Kaikai was ok with some good runs.
    Bowyer replaced Page with Jay (made sense)
    Dijkstreel with Konsa ? ( in Bowyer we trust)
    Really want Ajosie to score, he and Zyro are s Good partnership.
    Battling performance against a long ball side.
    Fantastic 3 points.
    Come on CL regulars,
    One game at a time, we are not Man city.
  • Options

Good assessment from Paul Warne and have to agree with him, in the middle of the pitch it was very even... Yet we were the better team at either end

Defeated opposition manager giving a mature and realistic assessment of the game, that's a rarity!
    Hasselbaink did the same on Friday. Great to hear.
  • Options
    Not going to bore anyone with my post match thoughts as it will have all been said more eloquently than me. Just want to say what a pleasure it is to see us play with such confidence and today was probably our toughest opponent since Bowyer took charge. I am absolutely buzzing after that and seeing all three of Bowyers wins so far it will be interesting to see how we cope when we face even tougher teams. If they play like that every week I won’t be so disheartened if we get beat.
  • Options
    Great to get the third goal, but conceding?
    Bowyer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great stuff today, really enjoyed that second half performance.

When you think Konsa is probably our third choice right back and Mavididi could possibly offer more than Ajose if he was to start then you have to fancy us to keep this going.

Gutted I am away for Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon now, Pompey ticket secured today

Wemberlee...
  • Options

Good assessment from Paul Warne and have to agree with him, in the middle of the pitch it was very even... Yet we were the better team at either end

Defeated opposition manager giving a mature and realistic assessment of the game, that's a rarity!
    Hasselbaink been fired this evening.
    Decent footballer - brave to manage!
  • Options
    purdis said:

Not surprised.

The stench of relegation is all around the Cobblers.

• Options
    Great win today against a good Rotherham team, which as well as helping our own Play-Off chances also drags them back in the mix. The keys to me have been getting Pearce and Bauer back in tandem at the back (Pearce immense today) and of course playing the 2 up front. (Zyro excellent, Ajose looks a different player) Could have done without Pompey beating Wigan tonight leaving just 1 point between the 6 teams directly below Rotherham including us. With our tough looking run- in I still think we are no better than 50/50 to make the Play-Offs, but we will be tough to beat if we do get there.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    LB and JJ have done superbly but the foundations were put in place by KR. Granted KR had probably taken the team as far as he could go (well in the top half).

Enjoy the results, look at the league table, look forward to upcoming games....but let's see how LB and JJ, say, handle an injury crisis before we spunk our pants (and believe me, I do love it as much as anyone when we do well).

I wish them, as I have wished every Charlton management team, the very best. Great start lads...well done.

• Options

Great to get the third goal, but conceding?
    Bowyer.

Look what happened when some poor sod said 'ROLAND':

• Options
    lolwray said:

Oggy Red said:

purdis said:

Not surprised.

The stench of relegation is all around the Cobblers.

Try salt water
    They are not my Cobblers :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options

We have as many goals (9) in league the last 8 days as Karl did the entire period between January 20th and March 23rd.

This is the key stat to highlight the difference IMO.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Sadly, I believe our chances of winning the title are over today.

We can now only catch Blackburn on GD, providing we win all our remaining games 5-0.

4-0 wins will do it. you haven't allowed for the fact that their goal difference will be at least 7 worse than now once they've lost their last 7 games

• Options

I don't hate Karl but feel a bit guilty. If we were not calling for 4-4-2 as fans, would he have perhaps been more open to it. Was it his ego failing to see the blindingly obvious. If say he had changed it, would it have looked like we were right and he was wrong? It is sad because in many aspects he did a decent job for us. I really hope he does learn from this - he is still young enough. It will require being quite hard on himself.

He’s a knob. Move on.
  • Options
    Great win, but there is still a lot of work to do.

The POs are a lottery and the only team I’d want to avoid would be Wigan, don’t fancy them much.

The rest? Rotherham, Peterborough, Scunthorpe and the rest don’t bother me at all but as we know from Swindon under Parky anything can happen in the POs.
  • Options
    rina said:

Oggy Red said:

Sadly, I believe our chances of winning the title are over today.

We can now only catch Blackburn on GD, providing we win all our remaining games 5-0.

4-0 wins will do it. you haven't allowed for the fact that their goal difference will be at least 7 worse than now once they've lost their last 7 games

And by Blackburn losing 5-0 to Charlton, that reduces the GD between us by 10 :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Good game, clinical finishes. Zyro’s was very cleanly struck and a goal we have few capable of scoring so great to see. Aribo’s second was just superb.

We need to win next 3. Rovers have nothing to play for, AFC are poor and Scunthorpe are rivals. After those we have 4 left including Shrewsbury, Blackburn and Portsmouth and away at Rochdale who’s home record is up there with the best in the division.

We are still far from certain of making the play offs but this run is great to see.
  • Options
    Not a lot to add - never seen a more positive forum with so many likes.

Could see why Rotherham are where they are and they have some decent players - sadly let themselves down today with their cynical, niggling, irritating off the ball performance.

Took the Addicks 25 minutes to really get going and we totally dominated the second half.

Zyro is quality and with Ajose working his socks off by making endless runs to draw defenders it was a pleasure to behold.

Strangely enough, Aribo looked leggy and tired before his goal but boy, didn’t he do well for his goals - great run and finish for his first and a Valley wondergoal for the second - a goal I will remember always, as well as I remember Ray Treacy’s various stunners all those years ago.

Very bad news to have lost Fosu and they must have thought it was their birthday when they saw him go off - but little did they know!

A game we increasingly dominated and controlled the longer we went on and a game we thoroughly deserved to win - against a very competent and potentially dangerous side.

Thought Konsa had a mediocre game and wish he’d stop instinctively shirt pulling as soon as he gets tight to his man - gave away several free kicks in dangerous places as they were a big side with a lot of aerial threat.

We have a very, very tough run in so let us enjoy each game as we go along - and Bowyer, JJ and team have shown us what can be so I hope they get to take us forward.

We looked a good side today and we should be fighting for automatic promotion with this squad - worst case scenario we do it that way next season - best case, we get to Wembley and marmalise the opposition!

Zyro’s finish, the way he got the ball out of his feet and then drove it home with his wrong foot, was simply sublime - and a game changer. COYR!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think we just have to take each game as it comes. The pressure will be hotting up for Shrewsbury and we'll see where they are when we get to them. Balckburn may have nothing to play for!
  • Options
    Just a few points to add to the already brilliant posts:

Mavididi should have come on for Fosu - Kaikai is pants & still did nothing even though the rest of the team is buzzing. . Once Fosu went off we lost our forward momentum - Da Silva can't go past players & Mavididi would have injected some more directness.

So want Ajose to get a goal - worked hard but nothing fell for him.

I've seen us score 9 goals in 3 games - I think I must have seen that amount from xmas until slobby left. So much more direct & a lot harder to beat. As their manager said, we were better in both boxes & that is all that matters.

onwards & upwards. We will not win all 7 games, but if we can pick up another 11 or 12 points then I'm sure the play-offs beckon.
  • Options
    Went for the first time today since the Keith Palmer game. Was torn but wanted to see mates again.

Glad I did. There was nothing outstanding but the players knew their roles and played with confidence.

If Wigan and Blackburn get the automatic places then we have nothing to fear should we get in the top six.

Not sure it’s yeti trumping weekends with my son but I’d look forward to taking him to that in a couple of years.