Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC 3 Rotherham 1- POST MATCH THREAD 02/04/2018

Comments

• Goals on Sky Charlton video thread
  • A solid win today against a decent team. The big difference now is that we look dangerous, we actually pack a real offensive threat, and the formation change has made a massive difference as we can now go direct as well as playing the intricate football, giving defenders real problems. Drop deep, our skilful players have lots of space, push up and Ajose and our speedsters can break.

The first goal for example, Ajose makes a nice run towards a great pass by JFC(?). If the player had been up there by himself, whether Ajose, Zyro or Magennis the slight miscue by the defender would have been collected easily by another defender and been a non event. Instead because we have TWO attackers up there, it falls for Zyro (great shot)

The third goal is all about Aribo, but Ajose again plays a part attracting defenders to create space and putting the ball first time into Ajose's path instead of dawdling on it.

I was slightly disappointed Ajose was taken off so early, as he seemed quite fresh still I would have loved him to score the goal his work deserved. Mavididi is a skilful player, but less direct and seemed to be in 3rd gear. Not convinced Konsa at RB is better than Djiksteel either.

In regard to Konsa v Dijksteel I do wonder if the swap was to protect that right side, I felt we looked shakey there against Plymouth and someone said the same after Northampton

Konsa definitely got forward less so than often and reckon off that basis it was a preference from Bowyer to technically play with three CBs
  • Mavididi looked like he did not care. He did not chase anything with conviction. If he was instructed to go “ through the motions” then why put him on. The rest of the team have a different attitude to three weeks ago. That’s the only negative, at the moment Charlton are a team to be proud of.
  • Went today and I thought Reeves was bloody excellent. Can play a pass, skilful but more importantly chased everything and got stuck in, winning a fair few tackles. Their players couldn’t track him either as he and Aribo were switching all the time.
  • edited April 2018
    Pondering about my post match review over a couple of pints of Doombar at £2.49. Can this day get any better....
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018
    How good was that?

We were brilliant.

Everyone to a man was outstanding. Rotherham should have been 2-0 up after 5 mins but apart from that we destroy them. Excellent performance, not as pretty on the eye but very workmen like.

Rotherham are a good team and could easily win the plays off, but we took them apart today. Seven games left on the normal season. We are in the hunt play offs and we are looking very good.

Lee Lee Lee Bowyer
  • Was a tougher game because Rotherham played like teams that have given us problems at the Valley - big, physical with some ability. I think we grew into the game and our extra quality showed in the end and it probably could have been 4. Pearce was excellent, as was Reeves - Aribo scored 2 but wasn't as good as he was against Plymouth but still very good, Da Silva was excellent as was Ajose and Zyro.

Confidence played a part I'm sure - hope Fosu isn't out too long. Looked like a thigh strain.
  • The physio gave Fosu a long and intimate massage to his upper inner thigh, and then was decisive in getting the player subbed, no "give it 5 minutes to see how it goes"
  • Just got home and I can't be bothered to read through 4 page's of comments.

What a difference Bowyer has made three games three wins and playing quality football.

Playoffs here we come and then who knows.
    Give Bowyer and Jackson a two year contract now and I will be a very happy person.
  • We probably won't win every game, but we are going to be very hard to beat. We need to look up at Rotherham not the teams below us.
  • I think we will win every game
  • The first goal came about because of the pressure created by playing two upfront
    The second came from a well worked corner planned in training
    And the third was a little bit of magic which comes about when a team is inspired.

None of this would have happened with Gobby. We have to keep Bowyer and Jacko - if something works, don't fix it.
  • Sponsored links:

I love the idea but I can’t see it. I think we will win three, draw three and lose one. It’s going to be very close.
  • I say the same with every Manager who goes on a good run when they take over at a club...

What'll be decisive for Bowyer is how he handles going one down or playing against a team who are prepared to park the bus... the former might not happen but expect the latter when we play Wimbledon next Tuesday!!
  • sm said:

The first goal came about because of the pressure created by playing two upfront
    The second came from a well worked corner planned in training
    And the third was a little bit of magic which comes about when a team is inspired.

None of this would have happened with Gobby. We have to keep Bowyer and Jacko - if something works, don't fix it.

That is very true, the ball was played to Ajose but diverted to Zyro - playing with one up front it would have fizzled out into nothing!

I love the idea but I can’t see it. I think we will win three, draw three and lose one. It’s going to be very close.
    We won’t get beat until xmas 2021. 8)