Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ray Wilkins in intensive care (edit sadly passed away)

Comments

• RIP Ray.
  • Terribly sad news, rest in peace Ray.

Only a few months older than me, it just shows you don't know what is round the corner. Condolences to Ray's family.
  • E-cafc said:

RIP Ray Wilkins. When he was at Chelsea I thought they had two players called Wilkins. Ray and Butch. When we were youngsters he was always one of the players that everyone seemed to recognise.

His brother was also on the books at Chelsea ,but i know where you are coming from.

So young RIP Ray.
  • Always a deep thinker on the game, and made captain at a very young age.
    Had a good career, club and England.
    Having had a serious drink issue for a few years can't have helped his health but some heavy drinkers live to 90
    RIP Ray Wilkins.
  • Saw him once at the gym I go to here in Ottershaw. A really polite guy.
  • E-cafc said:

RIP Ray Wilkins. When he was at Chelsea I thought they had two players called Wilkins. Ray and Butch. When we were youngsters he was always one of the players that everyone seemed to recognise.

His brother was also on the books at Chelsea ,but i know where you are coming from.

So young RIP Ray.
    Brother was Graham Wilkins. I think he played left-back.
  • Gutted to hear this. RIP to an all too rare gent in the football world!
  • The voice of Tony from the Tango ads that were banned because people copied the slap that the tango man would do to strangers. Saddened to hear he has gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• A shock. I expected him to pull through only aged 61. Great footballer and a gentleman. RIP Ray.
  • I really don’t like these threads, I’m 64 this year. I guess I can count myself lucky to still be alive, considering how young some people are when they leave this earth:(

RIP Ray.
  • Terrific player, possibly ahead of his time. Great servant to our game. RIP
  • Saddened me this news

RIP Butch
  • RIP - a player who I pretended to be in the playground!
  • My first end of season players awards night was when playing for Teviot, u14, Ray 'Butch' Wilkins awarded the prizes.

He was only 18, captain of Chelsea.

Total legend, RIP Ray
  • 1StevieG said:

The voice of Tony from the Tango ads that were banned because people copied the slap that the tango man would do to strangers. Saddened to hear he has gone.

Loved the tango ads.
  • edited April 2018
    R.I.P. I can still picture the young Ray Wilkins (He didn't like the nickname Butch) lighting up The Big Match. Too young.
  • Very sad. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• My first away game was around Christmas 1975 when we won 3-2 at the Bridge and Ray Wilkins was playing for Chelsea aged 18.
    When I heard he was in an induced coma I thought he would pull through. Really sad news.
  • Sad sad news ! A legend of football and a lovely man ,I always took extra notice when he was talking on talksport could have listened to him all day , He knew what he was talking about! England lets go and win the world cup in his memory! RIP Ray Wilkins
  • Very sad. RIP Ray. :-(
  • So sad... RIP Ray.
  • So shocking... RIP...