Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options

Still 6th on goal difference. But no more games in hand.

That actually wasnt our game in hand
  • Options

Well everyone has now played 41 games (Plymouth aside) so it's neither here nor there which was technically the game in hand IMO.

Everyone has five left, including us so we no longer have that advantage.
    I always thought Shrewsbury was our game in hand as that was the sole one cancelled that weekend

The one we were due to play Wimbledon was when everyone had their games called off apart from Scunthorpe and a few others
  • Options

Well everyone has now played 41 games (Plymouth aside) so it's neither here nor there which was technically the game in hand IMO.

I always thought Shrewsbury was our game in hand as that was the sole one cancelled that weekend

The one we were due to play Wimbledon was when everyone had their games called off apart from Scunthorpe and a few others
    It's 5th placed Plymouth who now have the game in hand ...... versus Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Yeah Shrewsbury was the postponement but if everyone has played 41 games then you mean to say that everyone has a game in hand? So then no-one has a game in hand?
  • Options
    We're in a bunch of inconsistent teams. A week ago we were on a high, there's nothing to say we can't win the next two and be sitting here plotting how we're getting to Wembley this time next week
  • Options
    I think we'll beat Scunthorpe and maybe Blackburn, but I doubt we'll get much out of our away games. That is unlikely to be enough.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's 5th placed Plymouth who now have the game in hand ...... versus Scunthorpe.
    which is being played on the Tuesday before the last game of the season & so the pain will continue until then.

• Options
    Uboat said:

As for the 'actually that wasn't our game in hand' stuff. WTF?!

This time next week we will have played more games than most of the other play-off hopefuls as I beleive they play games the following week.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What you have to remember, is that this is a very bad league with a lot of poor teams. We should be no where near the play offs. In Robinsons last 21 league games for Charlton, we only won 5 of them, and 4 of those were against the bottom 4, but here we are. Our play off rivals will drop points, and considering our squad, we should make those play offs still. I'm not worried. We should still do this.
  • Options
    Fail to win on Saturday and thats the playoffs gone I think.

Portsmouth will be relishing playing us now....
  • Options
    Hope Plymouth win all their games and we beat Scunny, Pompey and one other and we have a chance.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Me thinks ten points needed from the last five games - takes us to 72 points. If one of the chasing pack can win four out of five and beat us to the last spot then fair play to them. Plymouth with their game in hand is now the team we need to make it with us.

That means two wins and a draw from Scunny, Shrews, Pompey and Blackburn. Leaves us needing a win at Rochdale on the last day.

Last two results (and the run of 20+ games under KR) have made it more difficult than it needed to be.
  • Options

What you have to remember, is that this is a very bad league with a lot of poor teams. We should be no where near the play offs. In Robinsons last 21 league games for Charlton, we only won 5 of them, and 4 of those were against the bottom 4, but here we are. Our play off rivals will drop points, and considering our squad, we should make those play offs still. I'm not worried. We should still do this.

“The league is shit, we are shit, we are on shit form, but should still make it”
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    We are back where we started for me, sorry for the negativity but one shot on target v AFC Wimbledon is abysmal however you look at it. Robinson could knock up toothless defeats against dire opposition.

Even if we win Saturday I still think we will fall short. Last night genuinely was must win to give us enough points to make it.

Scunthorpe scrappy win

Shrewsbury, lose to a side that are everything we used to be and are miles from now.

Pompey, lose in front of big away following(typical Charlton) on a big occasion(typical Charlton).

Blackburn pointless point confirming we are not getting play offs.

Rochdale, will be irrelevant by then.
  • Options

We are back where we started for me, sorry for the negativity but one shot on target v AFC Wimbledon is abysmal however you look at it. Robinson could knock up toothless defeats against dire opposition.

Even if we win Saturday I still think we will fall short. Last night genuinely was must win to give us enough points to make it.

Scunthorpe scrappy win

Shrewsbury, lose to a side that are everything we used to be and are miles from now.

Pompey, lose in front of big away following(typical Charlton) on a big occasion(typical Charlton).

This. New manager bounce led to false optimism due to takeover rumours. Think saturday will be the last chance of a win this season.
  • Options

Scunthorpe scrappy win

Robinson couldn’t beat the teams in the top 10 though, which Bowyer has successfully done when given the opportunity, and will hopefully do again. 1 point from 2 games doesn’t mean we are back where we are. We’ve collected 10 points out of of 15 under Bowyer. Let’s calm down a bit. I get that people are disappointed about last night, but Wimbledon are a dog of a team. A majority of the teams we have left to play, are up there, and will hopefully play expansive football, which presents a different challenge.
  • Options
    It's not going to happen
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

It's not going to happen

The power of positivity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All on sat now.3 points a must and 1 at least on Tuesday.and not lose at Portsmouth so sat week will no and then RD can fuck off.sell the club you old prick
  • Options

Opponents in the top nine of the league highlighted in bold:

Plymouth: Portsmouth (H), Northampton (A), Rochdale (A), Rotherham (H), Scunthorpe (A), Gillingham (A) (3/6)

Charlton: Scunthorpe (H), Shrewsbury (A), Portsmouth (A), Blackburn (H), Rochdale (A) (4/5)

Portsmouth: Plymouth (A), Bradford (A), Charlton (H), Bury (A), Peterborough (H) (3/5)

Peterborough: Rochdale (H), Blackburn (A), Shrewsbury (A), Fleetwood (H), Portsmouth (A) (3/5)

Scunthorpe: Charlton (A), Walsall (H), MK Dons (A), Plymouth (H), Bradford (H) (2/5)

If we win this weekend then that's Scunthorpe pretty much out of the equation.

Can't decide if a Plymouth win or a draw would be better for us.
  • Options

Scunthorpe scrappy win

Robinson couldn’t beat the teams in the top 10 though, which Bowyer has successfully done when given the opportunity, and will hopefully do again. 1 point from 2 games doesn’t mean we are back where we are. We’ve collected 10 points out of of 15 under Bowyer. Let’s calm down a bit. I get that people are disappointed about last night, but Wimbledon are a dog of a team. A majority of the teams we have left to play, are up there, and will hopefully play expansive football, which presents a different challenge.
    I hope you’re right, fact is we’ve picked up 1 point from last two games, not played well in either, against a side who had nothing to play for and a side who are perennial strugglers. Like someone else mentioned above, new manager feel has gone IMO.
  • Options

So much respect for that kid. Hopefully everyone else fell at the last hurdle and he won.
  • Options
    I was reasonably confident we'd make the playoffs until our pathetic display last night - we just don't play well under pressure.

I can't imagine this team competing against Portsmouth and if by some miracle they do scrape into the playoffs I'm confident they'd bottle it. We might have some quality in our team but they lack character.

I'd love us to go up via the playoffs but I doubt there are many on here who think that will happen.
  • Options
    I was confident until I just tried a results calculator and had us finishing 8th
  • Options

I was confident until I just tried a results calculator and had us finishing 8th

Same here. Only a point behind 6th, but still not getting there.
  • Options
    We will make the play-offs if we win our next 5 games. It won't happen of course. Bottlers.
  • Options
    i think 2 wins 2 draws and a loss would do it.

scunthorpe - win
    pompey - draw
    blackburn - draw
    shrewsbury - lose
    rochdale - win

when laid out like that it seems a v tough task as weve just got 1 point from games against a mid table side and a relegation candidate.

but the charlton way is its never easy