Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travelling Australia

2»

Comments

  • Dave2l said:

    Australia....an imminent takeover...Harry Kewell...cheating cricket players

    This thread is not attached to any those....although Australia in general may become quite a central talking point on Charltonlife in the imminent future... it sounds like.

    I'm flying to Melbourne in late August and have a working holiday visa that could stretch to 2 years as long as I work on a farm for 3months.

    Australian people that I have met on my travels have always appeared to be generally nice pleasant laid back fun kind of people.

    When I get there I will be looking to work and settle as soon as I can...and my personal plan that I'm hopeful for... is to work on a farm for 3months pretty soon after arriving.
    Sounds boring and bit too direct...but for my own mental security...I'd like to know I have an income straight away and can be self sufficient instead of digging a hole in my wallet.

    After that, I intend to travel about and head towards Malaysia to travel the land. I would like to go to Vietnam at some point. My initial stop off before flying directly to Oz is actually Singapore for just 3 nights.
    Found a bargain of 180 quid flight...then the rest to Australia brings it up to £270 in flight costs.

    The general idea is to fly to Melbourne (maybe get a train to Adelaide) and work my way up from the south east to the north. Hopefully rent an conomy motorhome at some point.

    Does anyone know of any good places to try and get work in Australia? I have not got much direction or ideas at the moment in this sense. Im getting advice from people but always good to hear more

    Anyone want to share any Australian holiday stories or ideas? Would love to hear.

    Might be useful stuff for others in a similar position or who are interested.

    Cheers


    What skills, qualifications, licenses have you got? Heaps of work over here on farms/orchards etc
  • Solidgone said:

    Read Fatal shore for a bit of background.

    Indeed, but my word, it's quite depressing in places; a hellish world for some of the convicts (and the natives, of course), for sure...it does not pull any punches about the grim reality of the situation; if any of us had been born in a different time and fallen upon tough times (e.g transportation for stealing a loaf of bread), it could have been us. A sobering thought, but an amazingly well researched and fascinating book that gives you a real understanding of the genesis of the country.

    However, today's Australia could not be more different. I have visited twice and think that the people there are fantastic...they don't take themselves too seriously, are very laid back and, in my experience at least, are some of the most helpful and genial people I've ever met.

    If you're in NSW and get a chance to visit the Blue Mountains, go for it....awesome! Plus, some inland parts of tropical north Queensland were amazing, like the South Downs with palm trees! Oh, and I love Sydney; loads to do and see....a fabulous city.

    Have fun! I know you will....

  • Got back from a year there in February visiting between Melbourne and Cairns along the coast, mainly lived in Sydney (Favourite place to live and work) recommend bounce if you stay in a hostel there. Great atmosphere and very welcoming!.

    Along the east coast Fraser Island was the highlight for me camping and driving about with other backpacker was Dingos. Couldn't recommend more. A place that very few go to is a place called Yamba. Small surfing town and get cheap lessons there and stay at the YHA there if you're interested in surfing and don't want to do a surf camp. (Was very good but was highly expensive)

    I'd rather avoid Melbourne in Winter as it's cold and grim! In terms of farm work a lot of word of mouth while you're out there is a good way to get contacts to farms. Another things you could do is Traffic Controlling in regional areas as they get paid well.

    Any other questions please ask away :smiley:

    You'll have a great time
  • Hated Tokyo.
  • Dave2l said:

    Australia....an imminent takeover...Harry Kewell...cheating cricket players

    This thread is not attached to any those....although Australia in general may become quite a central talking point on Charltonlife in the imminent future... it sounds like.

    I'm flying to Melbourne in late August and have a working holiday visa that could stretch to 2 years as long as I work on a farm for 3months.

    Australian people that I have met on my travels have always appeared to be generally nice pleasant laid back fun kind of people.

    When I get there I will be looking to work and settle as soon as I can...and my personal plan that I'm hopeful for... is to work on a farm for 3months pretty soon after arriving.
    Sounds boring and bit too direct...but for my own mental security...I'd like to know I have an income straight away and can be self sufficient instead of digging a hole in my wallet.

    After that, I intend to travel about and head towards Malaysia to travel the land. I would like to go to Vietnam at some point. My initial stop off before flying directly to Oz is actually Singapore for just 3 nights.
    Found a bargain of 180 quid flight...then the rest to Australia brings it up to £270 in flight costs.

    The general idea is to fly to Melbourne (maybe get a train to Adelaide) and work my way up from the south east to the north. Hopefully rent an conomy motorhome at some point.

    Does anyone know of any good places to try and get work in Australia? I have not got much direction or ideas at the moment in this sense. Im getting advice from people but always good to hear more

    Anyone want to share any Australian holiday stories or ideas? Would love to hear.

    Might be useful stuff for others in a similar position or who are interested.

    Cheers


    What skills, qualifications, licenses have you got? Heaps of work over here on farms/orchards etc
    Where are the farm/orchards you speak of based?

    I quite college early so I have naff all in terms of further education qualifications.

    Done a lot of practical work and I'm in good shape
  • Hated Tokyo.

    不気味
  • Danepak said:

    Danepak said:

    jamescafc said:

    Christ don’t get @Danepak started on Melbourne....!!!

    Make sure you try Baxters Inn if you make it to Sydney

    Melbourne - best city in the world. No contest.
    It's an amazing city I stayed there for 2 months years ago and was there for last Christmas and New Year, I could live there but let's be honest, it's no Tokyo.
    Cultural life, drinking spots, big global sporting events (Australian Open, F1, Melbourne Cup), AFL, excellent transport system, amazing wine district an hour away (Yarra Valley), great climate (although can get too hot in Jan/Feb). Only thing which Sydney has, are the beaches.
    Deeply in love with Melbourne. Auckland is a great city, but nothing compared to Melbourne.
    Would rate Melbourne above Sydney (probably a 50/50 split with who rates one above the other) and Auckland but Tokyo trumps it.
    Would love to visit Tokyo, but better than Melbourne and Sydney? Why? I would imagine that it's an issue, if the majority of the population don't speak English.
  • edited July 2018
    Spent a year in Australia when I was 26, long time ago now !
    What I did was quite different to what you have planned, by the sounds of it. Firstly, I spent 6 months in Surfers Paradise and played a season of club cricket, which was great, even though I was bit out of my depth at times.
    I started off living in a house with the club captain and his family, but after a few weeks I moved to a backpacker hostel, which was a good move.
    There's no point in spending a year abroad and living like you do at home. You want to have that real sense of freedom and be around other people who are having that same experience.
    You'll probably be surprised at the number of people who are doing the backpacker thing once you get there and it will be certain nationalities you meet and mix with - Kiwis, Canadians, Swedish, Dutch, Germans - whereas you'll probably meet very few Americans or French.
    In terms of places to visit, you'll probably have had loads of advice here already. The cities are all great, but there is something about spending time in Northern Queensland which is so different, wild and awe-inspiring, including the Barrier Reef, that you must see it if you can. Take a leisurely boat trip around the Whitsunday Islands, stopping off at some of the most beautiful and unspoilt places you will ever see. You'll have a crew and sleep on the boat - it is an absolute must.
    When you backpack, you will never be short of company if you want it.
    Gird your loins for some long coach journeys and look after yourself. I got quite sick a couple of times and it's no fun being that far from home and feeling properly under the weather.
    That apart, you'll have the time of your life.
  • Hated Tokyo.

    不気味
    外人
  • Hated Tokyo.

    不気味
    外人
    No wonder you hated it with that mindset.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Did you meet any Japanese people at all? That is their word for non-Japanese people.
  • @Dave2l Just a heads up, it's full of Australians.
  • I've looked online but the answers not quite clear enough. Something I haven't had to do before.

    General query for anyone that might know;

    My UK passport is up for renewal September 2019...but Its likely I want to stay in Australia for an extra year and so on. If I order a new passport now, it comes with more errands as I've gotta add it to the work visa....so it's not the old passport.

    Uk based Australian Embassy are a pain to get in touch with over here.

    Could I renew a UK passport and send it to oz while I'm out there? Anyone done that before?
    .
  • Did you meet any Japanese people at all? That is their word for non-Japanese people.

    It's rarely used as some Westerners find it offensive and they're probably the politest people in the world (at least since the war ended!). Were people calling you that?
  • Dave2l said:

    I've looked online but the answers not quite clear enough. Something I haven't had to do before.

    General query for anyone that might know;

    My UK passport is up for renewal September 2019...but Its likely I want to stay in Australia for an extra year and so on. If I order a new passport now, it comes with more errands as I've gotta add it to the work visa....so it's not the old passport.

    Uk based Australian Embassy are a pain to get in touch with over here.

    Could I renew a UK passport and send it to oz while I'm out there? Anyone done that before?
    .

    Simple answer is yes you can do it from here. I got mine back within ten days.

  • TEL said:



    Dave2l said:

    I've looked online but the answers not quite clear enough. Something I haven't had to do before.

    General query for anyone that might know;

    My UK passport is up for renewal September 2019...but Its likely I want to stay in Australia for an extra year and so on. If I order a new passport now, it comes with more errands as I've gotta add it to the work visa....so it's not the old passport.

    Uk based Australian Embassy are a pain to get in touch with over here.

    Could I renew a UK passport and send it to oz while I'm out there? Anyone done that before?
    .

    Simple answer is yes you can do it from here. I got mine back within ten days.

    Good to know

    One less thing to do
  • Anyone know the best way to get mining work in Australia or anyone had any previous experience with it?

  • No matter what happens, don't whinge.
  • Dave2l said:

    Anyone know the best way to get mining work in Australia or anyone had any previous experience with it?

    Not as easy as you might think. Plenty of casual work about and reasonably well paid too.
  • my youngest son is working in Oz on secondment a t m .. my advice to him is not to came back, as dearly as I would miss him
  • Sponsored links:


  • Worked in Sydney for a year in Blue Street , and lived in Kirribilly Hostal and later Dee Why and Balmain - used to get the ferry to work across the harbour - echo what people say about Aussies, the Aussies you meet in Oz are nothing like the Oz twats you meet in UK and Europe. Most people who go end up nt coming back - i wouldnt have , if it wasnt for the decision of my ex-wife.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!