Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chanting at corners

Comments

• Options

cafctom said:

About 80% of our chants these days are just copies of what other clubs are doing, with continental style chanting thrown in (can't stand the Since I Was Young chant or the Allez allez allez ooooo shite).

Same with every club though, its always the shame chants just rehashed, only ones that arent are Valley Floyd Road and Goodbye Horse
    VFR we copied N. Forest who still sing their version

Goodbye Horse was Leeds I believe

Unfortunately :-(
  • Options

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, if Charlton won a corner it would be the cue for a few loud and repeated choruses of ‘come on you reds’. For any number of reasons, not least of which could be the now traditional lethargic stroll by the Charlton players to give the defending team plenty of time to set up their defensive positions so they don’t concede, the chant from the Covered End and Upper North, after the two rounds of clapping, tends to be (sometimes) followed by a quick and almost embarrassed one time chant which finishes long before the kick is taken. In the spirit of last week’s inspired ‘revival’ perhaps a little more urgency to take the corner from the players and a revival of come on you reds when the kick is about to be taken might be more effective....or not as the case may be

Wow, I actually agree with you. I've been singing come on you reds in vain quite a few times (solo).
  • Options
    Re Oggy's thread above. Would love to see the return of knees up mother brown, great memories from the original covered end!
  • Options
    I too remember the chant ooh it's a corner. Now you just get people mumbling in shock oh it's a corner.
  • Options

Always looked threatening when we had Matt Tees, and before him Ron Saunders. The Covered End used to suck the ball into the net.

Saunders is the King saunders is the Kind ee eye adio Saunders is the king :smiley:

Actually Sir Matt Tees was the King certainly for floating in the air :smile:
    Well I'm blowed didn't know Alad Jones was an Addick :smiley: .
  • Options
    redman said:

JohnBoyUK said:

SE7toSG3 said:

I would love to return to the 'come on you reds' but have, for a few years now, evolved my own traditional rallying cry of 'beat the f€$^&ing first man!'

Can I just say that this is true for probably ever club on the planet :)
    I find it unbelievable that professional players fail to do this so regularly. I used to take corners at a local amateur level quite regularly and don't remember it being a problem getting it in the danger area more often than not.

Charlton's efforts are particularly useless this season and the lack of expectation I'm adds to the lack of chanting.
    Personally I would like to see aribo take them as his delivery is the best.
    And JFC is probably better at being just on the D to whack back in anything being headed out by their defenders.

Also, should have someone different for the left & right - daft JFC doing both. I hope Bowyer or JJ have been doing extra training on the delivery this week. Even last Saturday's were less than impressive.
  • Options

redman said:

JohnBoyUK said:

SE7toSG3 said:

I would love to return to the 'come on you reds' but have, for a few years now, evolved my own traditional rallying cry of 'beat the f€$^&ing first man!'

Can I just say that this is true for probably ever club on the planet :)
    I find it unbelievable that professional players fail to do this so regularly. I used to take corners at a local amateur level quite regularly and don't remember it being a problem getting it in the danger area more often than not.

Charlton's efforts are particularly useless this season and the lack of expectation I'm adds to the lack of chanting.
    Personally I would like to see aribo take them as his delivery is the best.
    And JFC is probably better at being just on the D to whack back in anything being headed out by their defenders.

Also, should have someone different for the left & right - daft JFC doing both. I hope Bowyer or JJ have been doing extra training on the delivery this week. Even last Saturday's were less than impressive.
    Rome wasn't built in a day as long as one player from the ten outfield players can get the ball in the box and clear the first man that'll do for now. That's the trouble with you Golfie, want, want, want, never satisfied. I mean these are only L1 pro footballers :wink: .
  • Options
    The main one I remember from years back was the spelling out of Charlton with the emphasis on the T
  • Options
    In the Net, In the Net, In the Net
  • Options
    Thought this was going to be about Buddhism and driving. Disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloke a few seats along from me shouts loudly "never score from a corner" every time we get one. On the three occasions in recent years when we have actually scored from a corner he gets a bit of stick. Its very odd behaviour really.
  • Options

The main one I remember from years back was the spelling out of Charlton with the emphasis on the T

Give us a Ceeeeeee.
  • Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaitch
  • Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaa
  • Options
    Rrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    Lllllllllll.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Teeeeeeeeeeeeee.
  • Options
    Ooooooooooo
  • Options
    Nnnnnnnnn
  • Options
    What 'av you got ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton clap clap clap
    Charlton clap clap clap
    Charlton clap clap clap

:smile:
  • Options

Tttttttttttt.

Yeh.

That doesn't work really, does it?
    he's got a terrible stutter.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

This, i'm beginning to lose it at games when we get a corner. I'd fine the players £250 for not clearing the first man.

I can't believe with what we have we can't get it over the first defender. Too late now but Dasilva takes a mean dead ball, i'd have let hm take them and put someone else on the half way.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I still do it every game. I agree it's not happening at every corner, but I wouldn't say it's dying out.

Doesn't help not wearing red.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I always chant Come On You Reds at every corner as does another bloke in my row but who is considerably louder than me.

Anyone at the Sheffield United match when Ched Evans played will have heard him!
  • Options

Tttttttttttt.

Yeh.

That doesn't work really, does it?
    he's got a terrible stutter.
    You Whattttttttt!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Always looked threatening when we had Matt Tees, and before him Ron Saunders. The Covered End used to suck the ball into the net.

Saunders is the King saunders is the Kind ee eye adio Saunders is the king :smiley:

Actually Sir Matt Tees was the King certainly for floating in the air :smile:
    Well I'm blowed didn't know Alad Jones was an Addick :smiley: .
    Neither was Aled Jones I hear
  • Options

In the Net, In the Net, In the Net

Over the bar
  • Options
    Imo belting out C'mon you reds when you are sitting doesn't work.
    Same applies to VFR.