Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Male Suicide ITV

edited March 2018 in Not Sports Related
Spent some time over the last couple of weeks working on a project for ITV that was a collaboration between artist Mark Jenkins and the charity 'CALM'

'The campaign is called Project 84 and features 84 life-size sculptures (12 on top of This Morning's studio and a further 72 on ITV's HQ roof) to raise awareness of the fact that 84 men take their own lives every week in the UK, with suicide continuing to be the single biggest killer of men under 45 and three in four of all suicides being male.'

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/itv-male-suicide-awareness-sculptures-building-roof-mental-health-project-84-calm-a8274326.html

Comments

• Saw that on the news yesterday. Really powerful image.
  • shine166 said:

Spent some time over the last couple of weeks working on a project for ITV that was a collaboration between artist Mark Jenkins and the charity 'CALM'

'The campaign is called Project 84 and features 84 life-size sculptures (12 on top of This Morning's studio and a further 72 on ITV's HQ roof) to raise awareness of the fact that 84 men take their own lives every week in the UK, with suicide continuing to be the single biggest killer of men under 45 and three in four of all suicides being male.'

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/itv-male-suicide-awareness-sculptures-building-roof-mental-health-project-84-calm-a8274326.html

Very powerful project - too many men still reluctant to ask for help when depressed.

Saw the carnage of failed suicide attempts when I worked on an orthopaedic ward. It's a terrible issue and we need to give more support.

Suicide doesn't just take a life it also affects family and friends very badly.
  • edited March 2018

Saw that on the news yesterday. Really powerful image.

Was a really emotional project and a honour to be involved, the 12 lower casts are of family members of men that took there own lives

• shine166 said:

Saw that on the news yesterday. Really powerful image.

Was a really emotional project and a honour to be involved, the 12 lower casts are of family members of men that took there own lives

I hope the project has a huge effect. So many people who take their own lives or attempt suicide could possibly have found a solution with the right support.

Suicide is something society has difficulty acknowledging - depression sadly can happen to anyone from any background. We need to help and not judge.
  • Sounds a great idea and a noble cause but how do you provide support to those that have committed suicide or do you mean providing support for the relatives/family? Supporting those that have had a failed attempted suicide is meaningful to provide I can accept. But those that are on the verge are surely depressed and suffering from depression? Suicide is the outcome?
    I agree that it’s a very powerful image but it also looks like an advert for suicide.
  • Solidgone said:

Sounds a great idea and a noble cause but how do you provide support to those that have committed suicide or do you mean providing support for the relatives/family? Supporting those that have had a failed attempted suicide is meaningful to provide I can accept. But those that are on the verge are surely depressed and suffering from depression? Suicide is the outcome?
    I agree that it’s a very powerful image but it also looks like an advert for suicide.

Its more about making people aware of the issue, youd be surprised how many people asked me why men are the focus... even after sharing the stats. Im not really sure you can offer any support at all to people that have commited suicide ?

Heres the charity link, they will do a far better job than me at explaining more about it as this is a cause that is close to home and im maybe too emotionally attached...id be surprised if anyone sees this installation and gets inspired to take there own life.

https://www.thecalmzone.net/
  • shine166 said:

Solidgone said:

Sounds a great idea and a noble cause but how do you provide support to those that have committed suicide or do you mean providing support for the relatives/family? Supporting those that have had a failed attempted suicide is meaningful to provide I can accept. But those that are on the verge are surely depressed and suffering from depression? Suicide is the outcome?

Its more about making people aware of the issue, youd be surprised how many people asked me why men are the focus... even after sharing the stats. Im not really sure you can offer any support at all to people that have commited suicide ?

Heres the charity link, they will do a far better job than me at explaining more about it as this is a cause that is close to home and im maybe too emotionally attached...id be surprised if anyone sees this installation and gets inspired to take there own life.

https://www.thecalmzone.net/
    I would hope this project makes people aware there is help out there and that they are not the only one going through it. Mental illness can be very isolating.....