Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boys of Summer 2018

Comments

• Options
    Been in Toronto since Thursday and took in a baseball game at the Rogers Centre on Friday evening. Impressive stadium but got bored with the game after a couple of hours so met up with other London Broncos fans (The reason why I I have been in Canada) in a pub nearby.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Been in Toronto since Thursday and took in a baseball game at the Rogers Centre on Friday evening. Impressive stadium but got bored with the game after a couple of hours so met up with other London Broncos fans (The reason why I I have been in Canada) in a pub nearby.

Missed a trick there, if the game isn't catching your interest there is usually plenty to do in the stadium!

• Options
    Congrats to the Red Sox. 99 wins and first team to clinch post-season play.

Go Cards, looking like a different side since Matheny was sacked.
  • Options
    My brother-in-law, who is a San Francisco Giants fan, and I decided it's time I get into a sport that I know absolutely nothing about.

I've watched it a few times in the past but have struggled to stay engaged. I should love it, love my cricket, I'm a huge NFL fan and enjoy my NBA, so I'm having a crack at it with a view to going to the London game next year.

I wanted to support a team in the south as it's my favourite part of the States by far. Unfortunately Tennessee doesn't have a team so I've decided to go with the Texas Rangers. They've never won a World Series and had a losing record last year so I can't be accused of glory hunting. The only way is up right?
  • Options
    Stick with it @The Red Robin
    The biggest factor for me was finding out about the rules of the game - this opens you up to understanding the tactics so much more and just makes it more enjoyable.
    I’ve been a fan for 20 odd years now and I’m still learning new stuff about the game!
  • Options

The biggest factor for me was finding out about the rules of the game - this opens you up to understanding the tactics so much more and just makes it more enjoyable.
    I’ve been a fan for 20 odd years now and I’m still learning new stuff about the game!

Funny you should say that, I spent about an hour earlier reading the rules (seem pretty simple) and reading up on my Texas Rangers history. Only disappointment is that old Dubya used to be part of the ownership group, but after RD anything is a bonus.
  • Options

Funny you should say that, I spent about an hour earlier reading the rules (seem pretty simple) and reading up on my Texas Rangers history. Only disappointment is that old Dubya used to be part of the ownership group, but after RD anything is a bonus.
    Yeah, I’m personally not keen on Texas purely because of the Dubya link - but it really doesn’t matter - support whoever you like!
  • Options

To be fair, he was seemingly as bad at baseball as he was at all other business endeavors.

Yeah if you like cricket and NFL particularly, I'd say stick with it and you'll get it eventually. It's a game of suspense and intricacy, and one that has such a broad array of statistics, so it's not for everyone. But I'd say cricket obviously, and football proper, plus the frequent stop-startedness of American football are all excellent "pre-requisites." And some of it is just getting in the right headspace, appreciating that you don't always have to pay attention to every pitch and every little movement.

And should you find yourself in the States again I highly recommend just going to a game, pretty much anywhere. That really helps with the suspense and you get caught up in it, but it can also be a very social experience, and particularly if you're in the south or the midwest you're likely to get nice, chatty people and just a generally pleasant experience.

That's my experience when taking British people to baseball games at least, I'm sure others have stories of their own.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    If you want a team in the south and feel a bit dirty following the Rangers, why not go with Atlanta? That city and it’s obsession with sports is growing rapidly - their new MLS team is already pulling the biggest attendances in the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If you want a team in the south and feel a bit dirty following the Rangers, why not go with Atlanta? That city and it’s obsession with sports is growing rapidly - their new MLS team is already pulling the biggest attendances in the league.

I was thinking about this as well. They're a team that when I was a kid were very dominant, but who have been sort of middling recently up until this season. And they're a lot of peoples' second team, or like one people have a soft spot for, because in the '90s definitely and I think up until the 2000s Braves games were shown on the television network TBS, because both were owned by Ted Turner (a preferable option to W). So even if you didn't live in the Atlanta area, you inevitably saw a lot of Braves games if you were a nerd like me.

And their success was built on like dominant pitching and defense and really good fundamentals. It wasn't like the Yankees, or later the Red Sox, where it was getting in big names and power hitters and all that. It wasn't sexy, but it was almost obnoxiously efficient. And I don't think anyone would accuse you off glory hunting, especially in 2018.

Plus, as Callum says Atlanta is a young, vibrant, diverse and growing city. I have a couple friends who are season tickets at Atlanta United and it sounds bloody brilliant. Plus the aquarium there is incredible, so in general it's a cool place to visit.

To try to convince you on this further, I have attached a picture of two penguins doing it at the Atlanta Aquarium. I took this on a business trip for a $32 million dollar contract I was a part of. It was with Georgia Tech's Research Institute, one of the best technology research institutes in the country. The education of the room probably averaged out to PhD. I say this not to brag, but because I later showed this picture at my afternoon presentation. Everyone giggled like school girls. I've never had a slide go over so well.
  • Options
    Until the expansion of the leagues from the 60s onwards St Louis were the closest team to the South and had a big following there.

They are also quite good (most successful National League team).

Certainly high scoring this season.
  • Options

My brother-in-law, who is a San Francisco Giants fan, and I decided it's time I get into a sport that I know absolutely nothing about.

I've watched it a few times in the past but have struggled to stay engaged. I should love it, love my cricket, I'm a huge NFL fan and enjoy my NBA, so I'm having a crack at it with a view to going to the London game next year.

I wanted to support a team in the south as it's my favourite part of the States by far. Unfortunately Tennessee doesn't have a team so I've decided to go with the Texas Rangers. They've never won a World Series and had a losing record last year so I can't be accused of glory hunting. The only way is up right?

Your brother-in-law got it right. Why not go along with his choice?

And with the Giants currently on a disastrous 10 game losing streak, no one can accuse you of glory hunting there either... :disappointed:
  • Options
    Cards v Pirates live on BT sport right now
  • Options

I did consider Atlanta but figured I'm more likely to go to Texas on my next trip over there. I wanted a team where I'm actually likely to go and watch them play when I'm next over there.

... I'll be honest though the penguins from @SDAddick almost swung it for me.

Thanks for the help and info everyone. I've got BT Sport so will start catching up.

• Options
    Houston are a better team right now
  • Options

And with the Giants currently on a disastrous 10 game losing streak, no one can accuse you of glory hunting there either... :disappointed:
    Make that 11... :cry:
  • Options

I know, but didn't want to jump on any bandwagons. Just trying to set myself up for misery across all the sports I follow.
  • Options
    Red Sox first to 100 wins! But bizarrely I have no confidence on us for the post season - it is almost too good a run of form to take into the play offs. In that it can only get worse.

I fancy the Astros as they still looked a step above us in our recent series. Much will depend on Sales shoulder and Price being able to Pitch at Fenway
  • Options

Make that 11... :cry:
    Phew... :sweat_smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cards eliminated at game 161. : - )

Still not decided in the NL and there could be two tiebreakers.

I'm going for a Rockies v Astros world series
  • Options
    It was fun watching the cubs lose tonight, just hope the dodgers follow suit
  • Options

It was fun watching the cubs lose tonight, just hope the dodgers follow suit

Sorry but don't think so. 4-0 Dodgers, get in there!
  • Options
    Very impressed with the Brewers earlier today, they look like the team to beat in the NL.
  • Options
    Disappointed the Cubs didn’t hang on to their lead in the NL Central, but you’ve got to hand it to the Brewers - they have had an awesome last 10 games to win the division.
    Strange situation in the NL, with both the Central and West divisions being tied up, meaning both pairs of teams have/had a tiebreaker to see whether they are straight through or in a playoff, but all 4 are in the postseason regardless.
    As a result, Atlanta are the only NL postseason team that doesn’t have to play any extra playoff games.

So the Brewers go into the postseason as the form team. Could be they’ve timed it just right. Having said that, I can’t see the ultimate champions coming from the NL. The Redsox, Yanks and Astros just look too good (and all have 100+ records to prove it) But you never know...

• Options

I know, but didn't want to jump on any bandwagons. Just trying to set myself up for misery across all the sports I follow.
    No shame here and having checked the Astros history, I’m sure this is a one-off period of success and they’ll revert to being rubbish again soon!

I watched the World Series for the first time last year and decided whoever won that was going to be my MLB interest going forward ... I had just moved to Texas so it worked out well from that perspective.

Have to say it’s been a long season and I got bored following after 20 or 30 games in. I’m sure my interest will pick up now we’re in to the play offs.
  • Options

Have to say it’s been a long season and I got bored following after 20 or 30 games in. I’m sure my interest will pick up now we’re in to the play offs.

I think this is one of the beauties of the game. Pretty much everyone I know who enjoys baseball dips in and out. There are a minimum of 162 games for each team to play in about 6 months with occasional days off. It’d take a pretty hardcore fan to keep up an intense interest for that long.
    I’m probably one of the more avid fans of the game on charltonlife and my interest always fluctuates through the season - there’s just too much other stuff going on in life!
    I do love it, but I think people who go to every game are fecking mental.

Seb Lewis is a legend, but if there’s a baseball equivalent of him, he’s probably due to be committed any day now.

• Options
    Dodgers beat Rockies 5-2 advance to NLDS against the Braves. NL Wildcard is Rockies @ Cubs winner to play the Brewers
  • Options

I think this is one of the beauties of the game. Pretty much everyone I know who enjoys baseball dips in and out. There are a minimum of 162 games for each team to play in about 6 months with occasional days off. It’d take a pretty hardcore fan to keep up an intense interest for that long.
    I’m probably one of the more avid fans of the game on charltonlife and my interest always fluctuates through the season - there’s just too much other stuff going on in life!
    I do love it, but I think people who go to every game are fecking mental.

Seb Lewis is a legend, but if there’s a baseball equivalent of him, he’s probably due to be committed any day now.

If you look back over the Red Sox big play off and WS games at Fenway over the years there is always a blonde haired guy just behind home plate - front row. Been going as far back as I can see and obviously season ticket seats that are in the family. But not there for the vast majority of regular games - as they can sell their tickets back to the club for regular sale on on to friends I guess