Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good luck Chris Solly

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018

Scoham said:

I didn't see much of Joe Gomez, and when I did see him, he and the team were going through a bad spell ( what's new!) especially when he came on as a sub at Ipswich. I have to say Djiksteel's performance yesterday was far more impressive than anything I saw from Gomez.

You didn't see enough of Gomez.
    Going through a bad spell ? He wasn't here long enough (1st team player) to go through a bad spell. He wasn't the finished article but was /is one hell of a player. Did he play for England Friday ? How was he ?
    He actually went off injured in the first half but I remember in his first England cap he had Neymar in his back pocket all game
  • Options
    Djiksteel still has bundles of work today with his positional sense but his tackling and chasing back was top drawer yesterday.
  • Options

I didn't see much of Joe Gomez, and when I did see him, he and the team were going through a bad spell ( what's new!) especially when he came on as a sub at Ipswich. I have to say Djiksteel's performance yesterday was far more impressive than anything I saw from Gomez.

You would not have seen much of him, listen to what KM told us, see them for a while, then watch them play for a premier league team. She knows what she is talking about :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Thought both full backs were outstanding today.

Interesting as Page has had a few negative comments on here since he joined
    Not from me. He's looked tidy during his brief appearances. Excellent yesterday, and obviously has more of a physical presence than Dasilva. We're spoiled for choice at LB.

Can't drop Zyro now, surely?
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game so can't really comment on how good Dijksteel was yesterday.

But we should be careful not to get carried away. It was only a couple of months ago when Southend supporters were describing him on their forum as "someone who looked like he had won a competition to play a game of football" after they had beat us at their place.
  • Options
    Dunno what changed then because yesterday he looked fucking good.
  • Options

There is a flaw in this thinking.

We see a number of players look far better in a 442 and without Tarbuck but then dismiss those players not on the pitch such as Solly and Magennis.

Who's to say they wouldn't thrive in the new formation too.

Good point, Henry.

The much maligned Magennis, for example.

For most of his games here at Charlton, he ploughed a lonely furrow up front on his own; the only 'service' high balls hoofed vaguely in his direction and doomed to chase lost causes. No wonder his confidence drained away.

I reckon he would have made a very decent contribution in this current side, with a creative midfield and another forward alongside him.
    Not really looking back, however ..... Taylor is a more subtle operator.

• Options
    Magennis seemed to do better when he had Ajose up front with him

Seeing that Ajose is 4th choice Striker now it makes you wonder what he'd have been like with Grant now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with the above. Magennis have his all in circumstances that were not designed to get the best out of him. He offers something different to what we currently have and whilst he may not be first choice striker in the current side he would certainly be a useful addition to the squad. I'd probably have him above Vetokele and Ajose.
  • Options

Agree with the above. Magennis have his all in circumstances that were not designed to get the best out of him. He offers something different to what we currently have and whilst he may not be first choice striker in the current side he would certainly be a useful addition to the squad. I'd probably have him above Vetokele and Ajose.

Ajose yes... Vetokele no...

I think Magennis OR Taylor would be a good option and Grant OR Vetokele would be a good option alongside them.

Magennis and Taylor would be too similar and think they'd get isolated as they wouldnt have a Strike partner prepared to run at the defence like what Grant does
  • Options

I have said it before and I will say it again I would have Church above Ajose
  • Options

Ajose yes... Vetokele no...

I think Magennis OR Taylor would be a good option and Grant OR Vetokele would be a good option alongside them.

Magennis and Taylor would be too similar and think they'd get isolated as they wouldnt have a Strike partner prepared to run at the defence like what Grant does
    I meant in terms of 3rd choice striker. In my view either KG or Taylor can play the same role Igor does. Nah offers something none of the others do. Taylor is the closet we have but is still a different type of player. I would still want Igor in the squad but Mag offers something different.

There will be games this year when we miss his presence upfront.