Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford appoint Robinson as head coach

Comments

• Options

Well I’m gonna put it out there

As someone who is going through the whole redundancy/look after your family thing myself at the moment I wish Karl all the best. He is a decent bloke and manager and doesn’t deserve all the shit he gets on social media

He clearly was gonna get canned so he has tried to look after his wife and kids financially and so he should

Not the most tactically astute manager we have ever had but also not an arsehole, I wish him all the best as I do JJ and Bow

This pretty much sums up how I feel, I felt him leaving was best for everyone and him getting another job is a win win all round.

I liked him and felt he might be able to turn us around but over the last few weeks felt his unwillingness to change formation or adapt mid game was obvious and I lost faith.

Good luck Karl no hard feelings from me
  • Options
    Can't blame him for going as he was likely going to be sacked by the new owners next week anyway.

He clearly wasn't motivated for us over the past few games.

You just know he's going to have Oxford in the play off spots next season.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Do we play Oxford again this season?

No, drew away lost at home I think.
    Yes lost 3-2 with two Oxford goals in added time even though they had no strikers on the pitch at the time. Classic Robbo.
    Its why I dont get the gloating from Oxford fans on twitter... they're claiming that we're being bitter yet they fail to realise that they've hired a man who twice threw away a lead against them.

I'd be a bit worried if I'd been a Oxford fan at the Valley for that game
  • Options
    Sage said:

I wish him well. With Oxford having a new and ambitious owner, that clearly is happy to appoint him, he is sure to get the backing he desperately wanted whilst in charge of us.

I can see him doing well next season as he will be allowed to spend and bring in the players he wants to.

For those at the Bromley Addicks meeting back in November, you may remember Karl saying out of the other teams in this division that aren’t at the top, he really likes Oxford.

Once the chance came up and they were taken over, I think Robinson was always going to try and get that role as best as he could.

Sign of the times we are in when a Charlton manager resigns to go to Oxford United. However, that’s where we are. It’s now up to the new regime here and the management staff and players to get us back to where we should be.

Overall, good luck to him. His passion and hard work cannot he doubted during his time here through difficult circumstances, even if he did get warned, I can see why it would have been appealing to him.

Now we must move on and move forward. Football is a game where standing still is not an option. We have moved backwards far too much over the last 4 years. Progress is now on the agenda.

Agree. I wish him well. As you say he worked very hard while at Charlton under a toxic regime. No one know what he really had to contend with on a day-to-day basis. Dreadfully unfortunate with injuries and whilst I didn't agree with many of his tactical decisions there have been too many vicious personal attacks here on the man. Some people remind me of Arsenal and Man Utd fans slagging off Wenger and Jose just because they haven't won the Premier League five times in a row. By all means criticise KR for his decisions and tactical nouse but there's been far too much nasty personal abuse. It's a two edged sword - remember one individual Roger Johnson? Forum was flooded out with complaints regarding his vile rant at fans at Bury - well it woks both ways. Let's just wish him well and look forward to yet another new era. Oh, and i don't intend to get involved in an ongoing slanging-match with other Lifers. Just stated my opinion that's all. After all we are all in this together no?
  • Options
    Good luck KR, maybe under a different owner, things woulda been a bit different. I for one will do my best to not know how Oxford get on this season.

Real mods - If there's an "Oxford / Robbo Watch" thread started up over the coming days in the same vein as the "Taxi For Pardew" / "Millwall Relegation Watch" / "Crystal Palace Have Scored" threads, please look into sinking it

#realmods #doyourjoblikeme #youknowitmakessense
  • Options
    Having read that SLP piece I don’t blame Robinson for wanting to get out and secure his future elsewhere. Good luck Karl.
  • Options

Is his press conference just getting into full swing?

I’ve just lumped on Cambridge for the Boat Race.

F*****g brilliant :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    robroy said:

He states that he has met the Thai owner already, so must have met him weeks ago as the owner is now in Thailand.

Where was this stated ?
    If true (and I believe you) it adds further weight to what I said elsewhere, that Oxford (managerless for 2 months), have been tapping up KR/his agent for quite some time.
  • Options

robroy said:

He states that he has met the Thai owner already, so must have met him weeks ago as the owner is now in Thailand.

Where was this stated ?
    If true (and I believe you) it adds further weight to what I said elsewhere, that Oxford (managerless for 2 months), have been tapping up KR/his agent for quite some time.
    And hence the change of mood in the dressing room.
  • Options
    Why did Oxford actually want him?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It's all part of the managerial merry go round.
    Rather than take a chance on a young manager and give him a chance the same old failed managers keep on bouncing back from club to club.

I just hope that when our new owners do take over that we do something different.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Sage said:

I wish him well. With Oxford having a new and ambitious owner, that clearly is happy to appoint him, he is sure to get the backing he desperately wanted whilst in charge of us.

I can see him doing well next season as he will be allowed to spend and bring in the players he wants to.

For those at the Bromley Addicks meeting back in November, you may remember Karl saying out of the other teams in this division that aren’t at the top, he really likes Oxford.

Once the chance came up and they were taken over, I think Robinson was always going to try and get that role as best as he could.

Sign of the times we are in when a Charlton manager resigns to go to Oxford United. However, that’s where we are. It’s now up to the new regime here and the management staff and players to get us back to where we should be.

Overall, good luck to him. His passion and hard work cannot he doubted during his time here through difficult circumstances, even if he did get warned, I can see why it would have been appealing to him.

Now we must move on and move forward. Football is a game where standing still is not an option. We have moved backwards far too much over the last 4 years. Progress is now on the agenda.

Agree. I wish him well. As you say he worked very hard while at Charlton under a toxic regime. No one know what he really had to contend with on a day-to-day basis. Dreadfully unfortunate with injuries and whilst I didn't agree with many of his tactical decisions there have been too many vicious personal attacks here on the man. Some people remind me of Arsenal and Man Utd fans slagging off Wenger and Jose just because they haven't won the Premier League five times in a row. By all means criticise KR for his decisions and tactical nouse but there's been far too much nasty personal abuse. It's a two edged sword - remember one individual Roger Johnson? Forum was flooded out with complaints regarding his vile rant at fans at Bury - well it woks both ways. Let's just wish him well and look forward to yet another new era. Oh, and i don't intend to get involved in an ongoing slanging-match with other Lifers. Just stated my opinion that's all. After all we are all in this together no?
    Well said, couldn't have put it better.

In fact I didn't put it better :-(
  • Options

se9addick said:

It's all part of the managerial merry go round.
    Rather than take a chance on a young manager and give him a chance the same old failed managers keep on bouncing back from club to club.

I just hope that when our new owners do take over that we do something different.
    Still doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Options
    Someone posted on the thread:
    "Being interviewed on RadOx by Jerome, may I be the first to welcome Jimmy Tarbuck to the club."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did Oxfordd play 4-2-3-1 (probably a stupid question)?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Did Oxfordd play 4-2-3-1 (probably a stupid question)?

Diamond according to Sky Sports. Obviously had been taken notes from Bowyer (or JJ).
  • Options
    He’ll be gone by September at this rate
  • Options
    Who cares, all I care about is the fact he right royally fucked up our season.
  • Options
    Some comments on there forum the penny is finally dropping

Also, I know it’s early days and Robinson took on a bag of shite, but I actually feel we’ve got worse since Robinson arrived so has made me feel a little uncertain about him. Like others have said, he talks the talk, but can he walk the walk? I bloody hope so.

as it stands he’s picked weird formations and teams and we’re in massive danger

Although most still blaming the players and saying KR is a class manager FOOLS
  • Options

Who cares, all I care about is the fact he right royally fucked up our season.

Considering all the hate that Robinson seemed to attract from certain sections of Charlton fans I am sure many are probably happy to see him doing shite and getting knocked down a peg elsewhere.
  • Options
    On a positive note, Sheridan has done a great job at Fleetwood, who are now 11th. That draw with them (Robinson's last match in charge) doesn't look quite the shocker that it did a few weeks ago

• Options
    His record with us & Oxford over the last half season is certain relegation form

22 points from 23 games

Poor Oxford
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Some comments on there forum the penny is finally dropping

Also, I know it’s early days and Robinson took on a bag of shite, but I actually feel we’ve got worse since Robinson arrived so has made me feel a little uncertain about him. Like others have said, he talks the talk, but can he walk the walk? I bloody hope so.

as it stands he’s picked weird formations and teams and we’re in massive danger

Although most still blaming the players and saying KR is a class manager FOOLS

Even after he left I read a comment from one of our fans that KR would smash League 1 if he got good budget next season.
    There is just no helping some people. They need a padded cell and the key to be lost.