Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    That's rather racist of them isn't it? After all, how many fat Thais do you see?
  • Options
    Good, although it should broaden out its reasons for doing so.
  • Options
    I've just sent this to the wife - she came home yesterday and announced that her backside had set off the alarm in the lift at work. On that basis alone she has absolutely no chance of getting into one of their seats even if she is only 10st 10lb!
  • Options
    Lets think about this for a second.

Airbags. On an aeroplane seat belt.

Imagine them going off with a bit of turbulence. Chaos. A heavy landing. Chaos.

Imagine them going off as the plane crashes into the deck. Pointless.
  • Options

Pretty much sums it up. I don't imagine any of the hijacked passengers on 9/11 would still be alive today if they'd had airbags!

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Pretty much sums it up. I don't imagine any of the hijacked passengers on 9/11 would still be alive today if they'd had airbags!

But that's like saying we shouldn't have seat belts in cars, because some people wearing seat belts have been killed in car crashes.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

But that's like saying we shouldn't have seat belts in cars, because some people wearing seat belts have been killed in car crashes.
    Airplane crashes and car crashes aren't really comparable though. The only time they might be is during taxi, loading/unloading and towing but according to the stats that I found, 0% of plane crashes occur in those circumstances. For a crash whilst in flight, do you really think an airbag will make a difference?
  • Options
    Airbags for Business Class; you get what you pay for.

Economy Class will be provided with a bit of rope and Thai-ed in.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Airplane crashes and car crashes aren't really comparable though. The only time they might be is during taxi, loading/unloading and towing but according to the stats that I found, 0% of plane crashes occur in those circumstances. For a crash whilst in flight, do you really think an airbag will make a difference?
    Would several airlines invest in them if they weren't of use?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Maybe perception is more important than effectiveness?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I've just sent this to the wife - she came home yesterday and announced that her backside had set off the alarm in the lift at work. On that basis alone she has absolutely no chance of getting into one of their seats even if she is only 10st 10lb!

You've sent tour wife a link to an item about waist size limit of 52 inches? Brave. Very brave.
    Indeed - especially as I'm the one with the 52 inch waist.
  • Options
    Phew, my waist is ONLY 55 inches.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Maybe perception is more important than effectiveness?
    90% of plane crashes are survivable. So, if seatbelt airbags increase your chances of surviving one of those accidents, it's probably a good thing.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Must be reassuring to know that the plane has airbags as it falls from 35,000 feet.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Rizzo said:

Have to agree, there's only a 1 in 8 chance of being killed in a plane crash (the majority of "crashes" aren't 9/11 or into a mountain), so there is potential here to save a lot of injuries, presuming of course they don't go off in the cases listed above which could cause more injuries than they prevent.

Presumably Thai airlines have done some valid research, if for no other reason than to avoid getting sued by passengers injured by incorrectly triggered airbags.
  • Options

Chizz said:
    Must be reassuring to know that the plane has airbags as it falls from 35,000 feet.
    Just like the lifejackets.

If my imperfect memory does not deceive me, the only example of their successful use was the crash-landing on the Hudson River a few years back.

Much of the "safety measures" provided to passengers flying at the heights occupied by commercial jets are cosmetic.
  • Options
    21 airlines fit them (some only to first or business, obviously coz its sooo much more important to save the rich), but no data an how many/if any injuries or deaths they have prevented.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only reason you assume the crash position is to protect your teeth for identifying your body
  • Options
    Just build bigger planes.
  • Options

That's rather racist of them isn't it? After all, how many fat Thais do you see?

Too bloody many! Obesity and diabetes are big problems here now. People think of Thai food as healthy but the reality is very different.
  • Options

21 airlines fit them (some only to first or business, obviously coz its sooo much more important to save the rich), but no data an how many/if any injuries or deaths they have prevented.

The reasons they're used more often in business and first class cabins is due to their specific use. They are used when the seat does not have a seat immediately in front of it. So, if you're sitting behind a bulkhead, you might have one; or if you're sitting in a stacked seat, ie those business and first class seats that are angled, so that you are not facing the direction of travel, but at an angle to it.

In normal economy seats there usually isn't the space in front of you to deploy the bag.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The reasons they're used more often in business and first class cabins is due to their specific use. They are used when the seat does not have a seat immediately in front of it. So, if you're sitting behind a bulkhead, you might have one; or if you're sitting in a stacked seat, ie those business and first class seats that are angled, so that you are not facing the direction of travel, but at an angle to it.

In normal economy seats there usually isn't the space in front of you to deploy the bag.
    I really doubt this
    No bulkheads in economy?
    Zodiac make a bulkhead airbag - why not deploy this in economy?
    If there is a seat in front of you there is just as much need for an airbag.
    How would the airbag work on an angle? - if you look at the testing that's been done it is all front facing.

No this is about $$, winning customers and losing the fatties.
  • Options

Chizz said:

I really doubt this
    No bulkheads in economy?
    How would the airbag work on an angle? - if you look at the testing that's been done it is all front facing.

He mentioned bulk heads in economy.

You can be too close to an airbag, ever seen one go off? Can do more harm than good.
  • Options
    Next will be a check on your weight and why not?

Say you weigh 80 kilos, your case is one kilo over the limit so you get charged £50 excess.

Fat boy next in the queue weighs 120 kilos but his luggage is within the limit so pays no more.
  • Options

Chizz said:

I really doubt this
    No bulkheads in economy?

He mentioned bulk heads in economy.

You can be too close to an airbag, ever seen one go off? Can do more harm than good.
    Yes, good points - although they don't seem as big as a car one.
    The zodiac one looks good - deploys in same width as head to steering wheel in a car.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Next will be a check on your weight and why not?

Say you weigh 80 kilos, your case is one kilo over the limit so you get charged £50 excess.

Fat boy next in the queue weighs 120 kilos but his luggage is within the limit so pays no more.

Load factors, cargo weight limits, etc, etc...

I often see this argument. "Why do I have to pay extra for my luggage, when that huge bloke pays nothing?"

Seat assignment on aircraft is determined in part on the basis of load factor. That's why you are often asked not to change seats on a flight, even if it's nearly empty. The passengers' weight is distributed across the cabins in order to ensure the aircraft is "balanced" and therefore uses fuel more economically.

Airlines know the average weight of passengers and therefore a few fatties aren't going to tip the balance, even if there aren't many skinnies.

But they also know cargo limits and set the lowest-possible tariff on additional weight that ensures close adherence to the policy. And passengers know they have a set limit on the amount of cargo they can load. So they shouldn't really complain if they exceed the limit.