Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valleys original capacity

This is following on from the largest grounds thread where our original capacity was mentioned.

Our capacity before the rebuild and before the loss of the top section of the south terrace has always fascinated me.

I had always heard the story that the Valley had never been filled to capacity.

My old man, a gooner, had always said that during numerous Charlton v Arsenal matches he attended the gates were regularly announced as being anywhere between 55 and 70k. He has always told the story that the Valley was so big that during some of these games the corners were half empty. Now I am not so sure about this. I have seen archive footage from a couple of these games and the corners look anything but half empty!!

Moving on to the Villa cup game where our record attendance was set, for years I imagined this game being played with gaps in the corners and plenty of room for more fans because of the "we never filled the Valley" story. But again I have my doubts. There is a decent photo from that game of the East terrace and more recently, I dropped on old news reel of the game, albeit only a few second worth. There is no doubting that the Valley was full to bursting in every area, dangerously so in some parts as the crowd spilling over the railings on to the pitch proves. From the photo and news reel, I fail to see how one more person could have squeezed in, let alone another 10k or so.

@Chizz said on the other thread the capacity before later changes to the ground was 87,500, a few years ago I would have agreed but I'm not so sure now.

Anyway, it got me thinking. With today's technology, would it not be possible to come up with a realistic figure? Way beyond my capabilities but surely there must be some kind of software out there somewhere to provide a fairly accurate figure?

If the 75k attendance for the Villa game was genuine and not a tax avoidance figure, I would say that was our official capacity back then and not closer to the 100k I have spent years bragging about to my northern mates!!

Comments

• Options
    75,031 was our capacity.
  • Options

From what I’ve heard from family there was more than 75 odd thousand. People climbing in for free, some turnstile operators allowing people in unofficially for a fee, figures allegedly lowered for tax
    Capacity often irrelevant when considering attendance till ~’90
  • Options
    The book I am reading to my son at the moment says 80,000 but they couldn’t prove it as at one game (Villa or Arsenal) the loudspeaker broke and they had to close the gates early.
  • Options
    Record attendance 75,031, but apparently lots of freeloaders presumably taking the real figure up tot the 80k mark, although that's not and never has been the official capacity.

From what I remember in the '70s the old Panini sticker books used to quote 66,000.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    My late father was at the record league attendance of 68,160 v Arsenal, on 17 October 1936 (Football League First Division) as an 18 year old and reckoned there was more that day than at the subsequent Villa cup tie of 75k in 1938 which he also attended. He said that some exit gates were forced open v Arsenal and thousands got in buckshee so the official attendance was as a consequence much lower.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

My late father was at the record league attendance of 68,160 v Arsenal, on 17 October 1936 (Football League First Division) as an 18 year old and reckoned there was more that day than at the subsequent Villa cup tie of 75k in 1938 which he also attended. He said that some exit gates were forced open v Arsenal and thousands got in buckshee so the official attendance was as a consequence much lower.

Had always thought you were at the Villa cup game.
  • Options
    I can’t see how those numbers higher than the official highest capacity could be realistic. As often posted on other threads, back in the 70s/80s we had some pretty decent turnouts albeit you won’t see any stats much above 30k. We all judged for ourselves those official gates were under the real number of fans in the ground and we could base our estimations on the pretty poor gates we had been used to and how the ground looked when they were in it. For instance, if there was a decent gate, the gangways became clearly defined, particularly on the great east terrace; and then there’s how cosy you were crushed up to those around you if there was a lot of fans in the ground (only around 3k seats on those days so most of the ground was standing). For 30k official gates those I knew generally estimated nearer 40k. Even if that was an underestimation and we never thought there was more than that then it’s difficult to see how you really could have got a lot more in the ground. As for the stories about ‘corners’ being empty it’s easy to imagine one corner always being empty in that the east terrace actually went further back than the back of the covered end. Anybody standing there wouldn’t be able to see half the pitch.
  • Options
    I imagine the museum can confirm but I was under the impression that the east terrace could take 40k. I would have thought it would have been possible to squeeze in more than the the 75k official record.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The Covered End Stand was built in 1935 and had no sides to it back then. Views of the pitch therefore would have hardly been obscured, if at all, from the corner of the East Terrace. See the picture circa 1940 below;
  • Options
    Yes, as Stig says the 1970.s capacity used to be listed as 66,000. The east terrace was said to be able to hold 44,000.

Going back to the League Cup games against QPR and West Ham and the league game against Tottenham there were far more than 30,000 at those games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I imagine the museum can confirm but I was under the impression that the east terrace could take 40k. I would have thought it would have been possible to squeeze in more than the the 75k official record.

Even if you use 40k for the east terrace, plus say another 20k for the south end of the ground and the corner between the two (the open/south terrace used to go back a lot further) plus 3k for the seated area and say 1k for each of the bits either side then that only adds up to 65k. That leaves the covered end (or ‘uncovered’ end pre-1935). Correct me if I’m wrong but the covered end (or lower north to the uninitiated) currently holds 3k. The steps are about twice the depth of the old steps so standing fans would have been basically be twice as many in number from the front of the stand to the back of it. Obviously everybody is a bit fatter these days so back then you probably could have squeezed somebody in between every third person as you go along the rows so we could be looking at another 1k but as we’ve all (the oldies on here) been in crowds where you were crushed up against the people around you we can perhaps call it 3k, making the covered end potentially 9k. All that only adds up to 74k. The 75k record must have be at or past the limit.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Yes, as Stig says the 1970.s capacity used to be listed as 66,000. The east terrace was said to be able to hold 44,000.

Going back to the League Cup games against QPR and West Ham and the league game against Tottenham there were far more than 30,000 at those games.

I was told on the night by a bloke who would absolutely know, that the number of paying customers against west ham in the cup was around 50,000. I have no reason to disbelieve him.

You also need to take into account loads of people would bunk in before our return with better fencing.

When we had our largest attendances, the main stand had terracing in front of the seats, so less seats, more capacity.

Back in the day people would pile in, paying or otherwise and if you were able to watch the match it was a bonus. If the barriers and perimeter fencing held out then it was a result.

Although i was not around during our highest attendances, I have been at matches were its impossible at times to raise your arms and on one occasion it was even difficult to breathe. Just squeeze in as many as you can. Of course we all know how that ended up when combined with cages.

I have little doubt that attendances were regularly under reported for a couple of reasons for decades. Rather different from the Valley in recent years.

It was a different world then. I look back fondly to those times but the world has moved on and football is much better for families now.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I was working the turnstiles at the QPR & W Ham cup games* in the 70s, and while a few people snuck in under the turnstiles or squashed through in a 2-for-1 deal, I don't remember this happening on an industrial scale (you could always see people ducking in, even if you couldn't stop them). And I'd be surprised if 5-10,000 were able to climb the walls unchallenged, there was plenty of old bill around.

The terraces felt crowded for sure, but in part because we were so used to them being wide open! Look at footage from (say) The Kop from that era, and people are squeezed together like crazy.

The club possible fiddled the attendances of course...easy to do and an obvious motive (VAT fiddle). But I always felt at the time that the 66,000 figure was mythical, that we'd never really be able to accommodate that number, at least without some sort of Hillsborough risk.

You could counter that 'at The Who concert there were 80,000', but who knows what the real number was. My job on the turnstiles came about because after the first concert they sacked virtually all the existing turnstile operators for taking their big (unofficial) payday. It was the only 'Saturday job' I was prepared to do.

* 'that much is true...'
  • Options

I can’t see how those numbers higher than the official highest capacity could be realistic. As often posted on other threads, back in the 70s/80s we had some pretty decent turnouts albeit you won’t see any stats much above 30k. We all judged for ourselves those official gates were under the real number of fans in the ground and we could base our estimations on the pretty poor gates we had been used to and how the ground looked when they were in it. For instance, if there was a decent gate, the gangways became clearly defined, particularly on the great east terrace; and then there’s how cosy you were crushed up to those around you if there was a lot of fans in the ground (only around 3k seats on those days so most of the ground was standing). For 30k official gates those I knew generally estimated nearer 40k. Even if that was an underestimation and we never thought there was more than that then it’s difficult to see how you really could have got a lot more in the ground. As for the stories about ‘corners’ being empty it’s easy to imagine one corner always being empty in that the east terrace actually went further back than the back of the covered end. Anybody standing there wouldn’t be able to see half the pitch.

And now it's the complete opposite.
  • Options
    When I was a kid (the 60's) the capacity was said to be 75k. This was made up of 40k for the east terrace, 10k for the covered end, 5k for the west side, and 20k for the south terrace.

But you need to remember that the south terrace was vast and went back a long, long way. While the areas either side of the concrete walkway may have been full on these big attendance games, the corners - way up by the Sam Bartram entrance and over where Valley Heights tower block (or whatver it's called) is now - may not have been. So there could still have been room for more but just a long way away from the action, and any photographs or newsreel cameras view.

When the south terrace area was sold, it stood empty and abandoned for many years (I'm not actually sure what is there even now), and until the roof went on the Jimmy Seed Stand, you could see all the way to the top.

Until Spurs broke the records this season, Man City had the highest English league attendance I think, though they were playing at Old Trafford (!) at the time (just after the war) - just over 80,000 I think.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Of what ?
  • Options

Ross said:

Of what ?
    You put "We all judged for ourselves those official gates were under the real number of fans in the ground"

Now it is the fact that the official gates are over the real number of fans in the ground.
  • Options
    A couple of years ago there was some footage on ITN source of the Arsenal game in 1936 which seems to now be unavailable. Looking at that, the crowd looked dangerously over packed, even by the standards of the day.

That was well before my time but the biggest crowd I saw at The Valley was the Spurs game in 1977, much bigger than the West Ham and QPR cup games IMO.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Stig said:

Record attendance 75,031, but apparently lots of freeloaders presumably taking the real figure up tot the 80k mark, although that's not and never has been the official capacity.

From what I remember in the '70s the old Panini sticker books used to quote 66,000.

Fake news. I know for a fact it was 75,032.

Does anybody know that a Rob Lee used to work on our turnstiles?

• Options
    Ross said:

Ross said:

Of what ?
    You put "We all judged for ourselves those official gates were under the real number of fans in the ground"

Now it is the fact that the official gates are over the real number of fans in the ground.
    Thanks - I didn’t pick up on the context of the comment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

The Covered End Stand was built in 1935 and had no sides to it back then. Views of the pitch therefore would have hardly been obscured, if at all, from the corner of the East Terrace. See the picture circa 1940 below;

Did they catch your good side in that photo? :wink:
  • Options
    There was plenty of room at The Valley for the Spurs game.

You only need to watch the Spurs fans in the Covered End part like the Red Sea, when F Troop paid them a visit.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    mogodon said:

I emailed Katrien and she said the capacity of the old ground was 110,000 and that it was full every week.

Now that's one big, big porky...........she never answers her emails :wink:
  • Options

Stig said:

Fake news. I know for a fact it was 75,032.

OK, whose granny was it who gave birth at the ground that day, making them the ultimate in proper Charlton?

• Options
    Stig said:

I heard that there were 72,000 season ticket holders but only 4,000 turned up on the day
  • Options
    Don Welsh had told Colin Cameron and Alan Honey at the old trafford cup in 1974 the many of the attendance figures at The Valley had 10,000 knock off the gate..

Back in the late 1960,s when the Heights End ie south terrance was still at its greatest it was almost as high as the old east terrance.

IN THE 1970S the ground was said to still be able to hold 67,000 people.

in my mind i would say that had Don Welsh been correct in what here was saying and he played in that Aston Villa cup tie it would have been a record of over 85,000.,
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

RedChaser said:

Did they catch your good side in that photo? :wink:
    A terrific selfie.
  • Options
    The Heights end is one of the most forgotten about ends in English Football. Surely was largee than the Kop but perhaps not the Holte or Southbank.