Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson on 4-2-3-1

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

From the other Robbo thread...

He talks like going into the season without enough strikers and almost a dozen wingers wasn't his own decision.

I think that's somewhat harsh. I don't think he wanted to play the first half of the season with just Mag and Dodoo. And it sounds like January was a case of signing whoever we could get.

Don't get me wrong he has plenty of tactical shortcomings, and has not gotten the best out of the players he has, but I don't know how much control he has over the number of players brought in.
    Could we have got someone like Omar Bogle instead of Kaikai and Zyro? He'd have been a much better fit for what we needed most and was available. If Posh got him I'm sure we would have been able to afford him.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

He talks like going into the season without enough strikers and almost a dozen wingers wasn't his own decision.

I think that's somewhat harsh. I don't think he wanted to play the first half of the season with just Mag and Dodoo. And it sounds like January was a case of signing whoever we could get.

Don't get me wrong he has plenty of tactical shortcomings, and has not gotten the best out of the players he has, but I don't know how much control he has over the number of players brought in.
    He had control over loaning KAG out.

KAG was fit, scoring and might have been a good partner for Magennis in a 442.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

He had Mavididi. He was fit and scoring and might have been a good partner for Magennis in a 442.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

When we didn't have the players for 4231 last season he played it regardless.

Now he uses not having the right players for two up top to stick with 4231.

Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Defeat after defeat after defeat.
    KAG has one goal in the league. Two of his goals came in the Checkatrade trophy. I'm really happy he's scoring goals but in his absence he's become something that he wasn't. And he would have been the seventh or eighth choice attacker if he'd stayed and I fear that would have stunted his growth.
    Sending KAG out on loan was the right decision for the lad.

Otherwise he'd still be a peripheral figure here, used as a bit part player in a team that's lost belief. And if he did get on, God help him if he missed a chance - the scapegoaters would be straightaway rubbishing him and saying he's a non-League player, as they did in the 1st half of the season.

• Options
    He knows that he is under pressure and good that someone has put his non-performing system under the spotlight at a crucial time in the season.

Chant for Fleetwood:-
    4-4-2
    It's easy to do
    4-4-2
    Robinson Ooooh
    4-4-2
    Or the sack for you
  • Options

Oh how I long for a simple old fashioned 4-4-2

They didn't play 4-4-2 in Jimmy Seed's day. Too narrow. Not enough wing play. New fangled nonsense!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

KR said in that that Zyro is more of a winger than a striker, then why did you start Mag out wide left on Tuesday, with Zyro upfront???? Makes no sense at all.

Mag is a funny old player. Looks better on the wing to me, and he's at his best defending free kicks and corners. I'd rather Zyro was on the ball than Mag, as he is capable of turning a defender, and he could just get better and better, whereas we know what Mag's limitations are.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

He had Mavididi. He was fit and scoring and might have been a good partner for Magennis in a 442.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

I don't like it when you resort to personal insults. Why do you need to do that?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

KAG has one goal in the league. Two of his goals came in the Checkatrade trophy. I'm really happy he's scoring goals but in his absence he's become something that he wasn't. And he would have been the seventh or eighth choice attacker if he'd stayed and I fear that would have stunted his growth.

As for Mav, we desperately miss him, in large part because in our system he could both drop deep to pick up the ball and run at teams, or run beyond Josh to create space for the attacking midfielders. I don't think you need a 4-4-2 with Mav, I think he's better suited to the freedom one of the attacking roles provides.
    Kag scored in the FA cup v league 1 opposition and in the Checkatrade v league 1 opposition.

Regardless he was on form, fit and scoring. No attempt was made to play him in a 442.

No one claiming he is a world beater, the point was he was available to play in a front two.

Tarbuck ignored that opportunity just as he always has because he will only set the team out one way.
    But why does he need to set the team out 4-4-2? Is it the best way to accommodate Reeves, Fosu, or Holmes?

I think the difference here is that you view 4-4-2 as the default, with everything else being a deviation. And I don't. And I'd argue a lot of our players will have played in a 4-2-3-1 more than they have a 4-4-2.
    He doesn't need to set the team up 4-4-2, but then he can't use the excuse that he's never had the players to play 4-4-2. But he has just said that, and it's a lie said in a poor attempt to cover up his tactical deficiencies.
  • Options
    He doesn't have a wealth of choice to be fair, but at home teams have worked out how to play against his formation. So yes, Ajose playing with big Josh ought to be worth a punt with Fosu having a free role behind until Mav is fit - then maybe have Mav for Ajose. Just try something different - Fleetwood are lacking confidence so be very offensive minded against them and try to push them back!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

He is so tactically inept that he cannot get the best out of a squad of players that should definitely finish top six.

He has only ever had one decent season and that was down to Deli Ali.

With over 400 games under his belt he should be far more aware of how to set teams up and react to situations as they occur.

Unfortunately he is so inept that we will never achieve success with him in charge.

I'm amazed to hear seasoned commentators saying it's all about formations. there's way more to it in that.

And no successful season ending in promotion is down to one player.

But his tactical rigidity and failure to respond to othe teams tactics is his achilles heel.
    Where's the element of surprise in our play?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

As for Mav, we desperately miss him, in large part because in our system he could both drop deep to pick up the ball and run at teams, or run beyond Josh to create space for the attacking midfielders. I don't think you need a 4-4-2 with Mav, I think he's better suited to the freedom one of the attacking roles provides.
    Kag scored in the FA cup v league 1 opposition and in the Checkatrade v league 1 opposition.

Regardless he was on form, fit and scoring. No attempt was made to play him in a 442.

No one claiming he is a world beater, the point was he was available to play in a front two.

Tarbuck ignored that opportunity just as he always has because he will only set the team out one way.

SDAddick said:

Could we have got someone like Omar Bogle instead of Kaikai and Zyro? He'd have been a much better fit for what we needed most and was available. If Posh got him I'm sure we would have been able to afford him.
    No, there was no money for buying players at that point.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

I don't like it when you resort to personal insults. Why do you need to do that?
    I agree. Harsh on Jimmy Tarbuck's football tactical knowledge if you ask me.
    Actually made me laugh.
  • Options
    Just jog on Robinson you clueless prick
  • Options
    My comments from the pre match there but relevant here.

On KR's comments on Ajose lack of impact, has he played in his preferred position once for him? Either played out wide or in the number 10 role. Play him as a striker with a target man - he may or may not have an impact but nothing else is working. I find it hard to believe he's more unfit than a "striker" who has not played for 2 years (who after being touted as a no 9 we are now told is more of a midfielder than a striker).
  • Options
    Oh and he says that not much has changed when Ajose has come on. Yes we have been just as sh!t (not more sh!t) with him on (even though he's out of position) yet we perserve with the other players.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

He is so tactically inept that he cannot get the best out of a squad of players that should definitely finish top six.

With over 400 games under his belt he should be far more aware of how to set teams up and react to situations as they occur.

Unfortunately he is so inept that we will never achieve success with him in charge.

I'm amazed to hear seasoned commentators saying it's all about formations. there's way more to it in that.

But his tactical rigidity and failure to respond to othe teams tactics is his achilles heel.
    His Achilles heel is that he cannot learn from his mistakes.
    I guarantee you that on Saturday he will still play one up front and we will still look shit.
    Basically if the one and only Jimmy Seed could have a word with him he would tell him just how wrong he is
  • Options
    So Karl see's Zyro as a winger & our head of recruitment said he was brought in as a number 9 in his video evaluation when we signed him.

Absolute leadership mess.
  • Options

KR said in that that Zyro is more of a winger than a striker, then why did you start Mag out wide left on Tuesday, with Zyro upfront???? Makes no sense at all.

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

THESE...........plus the fact he brought Zyro in so if he isn't a striker why do it ? Yes, I know he was limited in January due to the takeover uncertainty, but Oldham picked up a striker from Wolves so they were available. The fact that he then loan out KAG and other striking options (Umerah) then he is just a plain, old fashioned LIAR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

His Achilles heel is that he cannot learn from his mistakes.
    I guarantee you that on Saturday he will still play one up front and we will still look shit.
    Basically if the one and only Jimmy Seed could have a word with him he would tell him just how wrong he is
    Yup, that's another one.
    I would hate to think what JS would have made of the current situation. He also couldn't splash the cash, but spent what he was allowed to wisely. But he actually had more to spend than Robinson, which doesn't mean he spent very much.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

They didn't play 4-4-2 in Jimmy Seed's day. Too narrow. Not enough wing play. New fangled nonsense!
    I wouldn't mind if he tried the W formation like Jimmy Seed, at least it would surprise the opposition something he has never done, and never will.
  • Options

So many things wrong with that interview i don't where to start!

Robinson said: “People talk about playing two up front, but we don't really have two strikers fit enough to start. Zyro is more of a winger than a striker.

Then why fucking start Magennis out wide at Blackpool with Zyro up front?

“You’d love to change it to chase a game with ten or 15 minutes to go, but people will say ‘bring Nicky on’ but we’ve brought Nicky on and not much has changed. He still needs to get fit.

Maybe give him some more game time then? Play him in a couple of U23 games, then start him in a league game. You can't expect much from the guy when you give 5-10 minutes here and there!

“He’s barely played any football this season. Tactically, I very rarely get many things wrong in relation to that.

Tactically you get an awful lot wrong mate, so shut up acting like you're the Guardiola of league one.

“It was weird on Tuesday, we made two substitutions because of injuries. We had Pearcey [Jason Pearce] carrying an injury, Zyro and Reevesy [Ben Reeves] weren't meant to complete 90 minutes and so I only had one substitution left.

Why are we playing players in a crucial league game who weren't meant to complete 90 minutes?! It's a vital game as we're chasing the play offs, not a pre season kick about at Welling.

“That’s why we waited so long to make that substitution. None of our substitutions were to go and win it against Blackpool, it was protection mode. That’s a bit unfair to be judged on that.

Why are you not trying to go and win a game? If it's got to the stage where we're protecting a point at fucking Blackpool then you're not good enough to be our manager.

“I made a mistake [with my substitutes] against Oxford, I admitted to that. We’ve generally made positive substitutions and I’m very proud of the staff for what they're all trying to do. It’s been difficult. But we've needed strikers since the first of June last year.”

You make awful subs most weeks, and usually not until too late in the game. So please explain how they're positive?! And if you needed strikers then sign some, not Zyro who you now admit is more of a winger when we already have enough.

Robinson believes he has been flexible with his formation changes in recent games.
    The Addicks transitioned into a 4-3-3 shape in the second-half of their 4-1 loss at Peterborough last weekend.

Robinson added: “People talk about tactics, if you look at our last four games, we've actually gone though four different systems, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-4-2 or 4-4-2 narrow.

“But people don't always see that during the game. I think if you look against Peterborough, we started at 4-2-3-1 and spun it to 4-4-3, we pushed Ez [Ezri Konsa] to sit and pushed Jake [Forster-Caskey] with Reevesy to play them a little bit higher.

4-4-3. I've heard it all now. Clueless.

“And in the first five, ten minutes of the second-half, we started getting a foothold in the game because of the change. But it’s fine, I respect what people say.”

Well we don't respect what you say, so shut up and fuck off.

Thanks for taking the time to write exactly what I am thinking!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

And no successful season is down to one player.
    It's not all about formations but based on last season as well as this season I feel his stubbornness over 4-2-3-1 is a big weakness. It's not all about 4-4-2 either, he has other options such as 5-3-2 or a 4-4-2 diamond.

Slight tweaks or changes late on in games isn't the same as being willing to give a different system a run of games.

Our most successful managers in the last 20 years in Curbs, Powell and Parkinson were more flexible. As were the top managers in football such as Ferguson and Mounrinho.

Is there a manager that's stuck to one formation and had success for more than a few seasons?

Apart from the odd game like Wigan away we seem to go out there set up in the way that it's up to the opposition to stop us. Yet we clearly don't have the team to do that.

At this level for me it's far more important we win promotion than entertain and play attractive football. If we comfortable in the Championship I'd probably feel different.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

Did Tarbuck try it? No.

SDAddick said:

No, there was no money for buying players at that point.
    Bogle is on loan ta Posh from Cardiff. No transfer fee needed.
  • Options
    Whatever formation he's been playing, it's not working, we're not winning any games so he needs to change it. Anyone apart from Karl would have thought that was obvious!!
  • Options

So many things wrong with that interview i don't where to start!

Robinson said: “People talk about playing two up front, but we don't really have two strikers fit enough to start. Zyro is more of a winger than a striker.

Then why fucking start Magennis out wide at Blackpool with Zyro up front?

“You’d love to change it to chase a game with ten or 15 minutes to go, but people will say ‘bring Nicky on’ but we’ve brought Nicky on and not much has changed. He still needs to get fit.

Maybe give him some more game time then? Play him in a couple of U23 games, then start him in a league game. You can't expect much from the guy when you give 5-10 minutes here and there!

“He’s barely played any football this season. Tactically, I very rarely get many things wrong in relation to that.

Tactically you get an awful lot wrong mate, so shut up acting like you're the Guardiola of league one.

“It was weird on Tuesday, we made two substitutions because of injuries. We had Pearcey [Jason Pearce] carrying an injury, Zyro and Reevesy [Ben Reeves] weren't meant to complete 90 minutes and so I only had one substitution left.

Why are we playing players in a crucial league game who weren't meant to complete 90 minutes?! It's a vital game as we're chasing the play offs, not a pre season kick about at Welling.

“That’s why we waited so long to make that substitution. None of our substitutions were to go and win it against Blackpool, it was protection mode. That’s a bit unfair to be judged on that.

Why are you not trying to go and win a game? If it's got to the stage where we're protecting a point at fucking Blackpool then you're not good enough to be our manager.

“I made a mistake [with my substitutes] against Oxford, I admitted to that. We’ve generally made positive substitutions and I’m very proud of the staff for what they're all trying to do. It’s been difficult. But we've needed strikers since the first of June last year.”

You make awful subs most weeks, and usually not until too late in the game. So please explain how they're positive?! And if you needed strikers then sign some, not Zyro who you now admit is more of a winger when we already have enough.

Robinson believes he has been flexible with his formation changes in recent games.
    The Addicks transitioned into a 4-3-3 shape in the second-half of their 4-1 loss at Peterborough last weekend.

Robinson added: “People talk about tactics, if you look at our last four games, we've actually gone though four different systems, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-4-2 or 4-4-2 narrow.

“But people don't always see that during the game. I think if you look against Peterborough, we started at 4-2-3-1 and spun it to 4-4-3, we pushed Ez [Ezri Konsa] to sit and pushed Jake [Forster-Caskey] with Reevesy to play them a little bit higher.

4-4-3. I've heard it all now. Clueless.

“And in the first five, ten minutes of the second-half, we started getting a foothold in the game because of the change. But it’s fine, I respect what people say.”

Well we don't respect what you say, so shut up and fuck off.

The bit about foothold in the game is annoying

Having watched it, I can categorically say that having a bit more of the ball in the middle of the park but not doing anything with it doesn’t count as a foothold

It’s the denial I can’t stand. Burying your head in the sand
  • Options
    At home against anybody but the top sides, I think Grapevine's suggestion is how you have to go!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

I wouldn't mind if he tried the W formation like Jimmy Seed, at least it would surprise the opposition something he has never done, and never will.
    That certainly would be worth trying, although ironically it relied on one up top, but with two wide men, and a couple of inside forwards who were basically attacking midfielders/no10s. Much more flexible than 442.
    I think you’ve hit on something here @Norman_Smith !