Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garden boundary wall

2»

Comments

• Options

There used to be a general rule stating that if you stood outside the back of a house and looked down the garden the fence/wall on the left was your responsibility.

Just saying

Urban myth.
  • Options

There used to be a general rule stating that if you stood outside the back of a house and looked down the garden the fence/wall on the left was your responsibility.

Just saying

Yeah. I thought that but it turns out not to be true.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Just saying

Yeah. I thought that but it turns out not to be true.
    I think someone just said it to get their neighbor to pay for a new wall and it got well out of hand
  • Options
    I must have been lucky then, I have only ever owned 4 x houses in my lifetime and in all four of them I owned, and was responsible for the left hand fence as I looked down the garden.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I must have been lucky then, I have only ever owned 4 x houses in my lifetime and in all four of them I owned, and was responsible for the left hand fence as I looked down the garden.

I'm in an end terrace. Right hand going to communal area. Left hand to neighbour. Clearly (to me anyway) left hand is their wall. They offered to help me financially to repair it. I told them it didn't worry me but it was their wall anyway.
    Question re freehold properties - do you have to maintain an existing wall or fence or can you let it go to ruin or just remove it and leave the boundary open?
  • Options
    Double check as my boundary wall is to the left not on the right.

If its yours then do what you want.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Double check as my boundary wall is to the left not on the right.

If its yours then do what you want.

Yes - I would guess that is the case. The neighbour can always build a second boundary wall within their property if they wish?
  • Options

Just saying

I agree. You had better check it's your wall as the left is usually yours, not the right.
  • Options
    Is this fence 2 metres high? Needs planning permission mate.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Just saying

I agree. You had better check it's your wall as the left is usually yours, not the right.
    Mine are marked in red on the deeds. Left, right and garden end in the back garden are my fences, righthand in the front garden and side which is the end of another property are not mine to maintain but I have.
    I don’t think there is a rule of thumb on this one, this is the third property I’ve owned and the first one with a left hand fence that is all mine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

I'm in an end terrace. Right hand going to communal area. Left hand to neighbour. Clearly (to me anyway) left hand is their wall. They offered to help me financially to repair it. I told them it didn't worry me but it was their wall anyway.
    Question re freehold properties - do you have to maintain an existing wall or fence or can you let it go to ruin or just remove it and leave the boundary open?
    Almost certain there is no obligation to have a fence/wall.