Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

23 Russian diplomats expelled and other actions.

Comments

• Options

I know we can't trust the Russian labs to test any chemicals. We know from Olympic experience that the results they publish are completely made up. However, I'm pleased to hear Boris say this morning, that Britain would send a sample of the nerve agent to the 'Organisation for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons', for independent assessment. Providing they conclude the same result as Porton Down there'll be a lot more support from the world in general.

Incidentally, has anyone heard of the Leicester university lecturer Tara McCormack? I first noticed her on RT television soon after the crisis broke. She pretty much made the same demands as the Russian government. Yesterday she appeared on Sky news and was interviewed by Kay Burley, it resembled a cat fight with Burley getting very hot under the collar indeed. Last night she appeared on LBC with Ian Dale - he ended up looking like this (actual picture.)

Must admit I'm suspicious of anyone who appears on RT, especially since the day I saw them interview Bez about the NHS. It can't be considered a serious news station,

RT is part of Russia's information war strategy against the west. They have these useful idiots, like Alec Salmond, to give them a veneer of legitimacy. Sky and LBC are idiots for giving them airtime.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Why did May not wait the ten days as laid out out in the NATO ruling?
    The whole thing doesn't make sense, he was incarcerated in Russia they had plenty of opportunity to bump him off, subsequently he was pardoned.
    Ok he was used in a swap, and his intelligence picked clean, but why use Russian made nerve agent? Because it points at the Russians thats why.
    Bullets can come from any country, so if the Russians wanted to do him, then just shoot him, again why would they?
    But if our government got hold of this nerve agent formula, by manufacturing it, using info gleaned from our spies, and lest be honest they must know the formula so they can identify it, then we could make it look like the Russians and May can be made to look like a tough PM, which her ridiculous demands have, to the less free thinking out there...its her Thatcher Falklands moment and cleans up a lot of her previous crap and will boost her ratings to the less intelligent.
    Now the above is a theory, but why not wait the ten days, its all a bit convenient for me.
    Anyone remember WMD?

I think you are looking too deeply into this. The Russians like to make a statement and leave no doubt who has done the deed.
    Hence a nerve agent that they alone developed.
    Really? Im just trying to apply some logic. I also think that there is much more to this whole fiasco, none of it makes any sense.

Try this:-

https://evolvepolitics.com/watch-an-ex-mi5-agent-just-showed-precisely-why-the-tories-are-so-desperate-to-ban-russia-today-video/
    Fair enough, I too am sceptical of some of the stuff that goes on in the world and gets reported in different ways and angles.
    But RT, if you have a problem with the media in this country you really should have a bigger problem with them.
  • Options
    rina said:

lolwray said:

I must admit the Russians are a funny lot...sharing a holiday hotel with them was a bit like a Chekhov adaption of the Jeremy Kyle show

I think the world is coming to the conclusion that Russian arrogance (and it appears to be a national trait, hence Putin's popularity at home) needs to be dealt with

Incidentally I think we went to war with someone about 150 years ago over the murder of an adopted British citizen ...my 0 level history failing me a bit here but I think spurred the term civis Romanus sum

think your o level history is failing you by about 2000 years re: civis romanus sum
    they are words from a speech by Viscount Palmerston

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Am I the only one who thinks what happened is fine/doesn't care that?

Tell that to the copper's family. How much taxpayers money has been spent on a neccessary investigation?
    That's the only part I feel is unfortunate and I do have sympathy with the policeman however in the dark and murky world of international espionage these things are to be expected especially for those who defect. I'd be absolutely shocked if we aren't doing similar in other countries around the world.
    Chaz Hill said:

could one of the unannounced measures be no bans on England supporters travelling to the World Cup?

Best of luck to those fans, who still want to go, actually getting a visa!
    Having a match ticket is your visa to enter Russia this summer.
    And all you have to do is get there, simple and good luck with that if sanctions or other little obstacles are put in place.

Of course, there is the issue of would you really want to go if Putin’s thugs are are going to be targeting the English fans even more because of this ?
    Well yes obviously if Russia imposes a ban on people from the British Isles yes it would be extremely difficult. However I wasn't answering that, I was simply stating the fact that with a match ticket you do not need a visa to enter the country as things currently stand, I cannot predict the future and neither can you, so wind it in a bit.

Didn't you also try this in the other thread about going to Russia for the world cup? Once again you are trying to predict the future. I don't think anyone is going to say there will be absolutely no trouble whatsoever this summer but personally I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as the tabloid media are making out it will be. In fact the Russians have imposed an awful lot of measures on their own fans in the build up, the last thing they want is to be made fools of on their own turf. A load of meat heads beating up fans from other countries will be an embarrassment and something I'm certain Putin will not want.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Jeremy once a red always a red Corbyn now having 20 labour back benches calling for a motion to blame Russia after he said there's no evidence of the Salisbury attack being Russian. Corbyn doesn't want to jeopardize the Siberian double glazed bungalow he intends to retire to in 2022.

I don't understand this "Russia = Communist" which is why Corbyn has been (shamefully) hesitant to criticise them. It's 2018, Russia is about as communist as Texas.
    He’s probably half aware that Russian troll farms put out pro Corbyn content. But for the most part Corbyn is naturally a contrarian, anything May says Corbyn has to fight back an aneurysm to not say the direct opposite of what she says or an opposite opinion.
    He is a pragmatist and has a weird approach in terms of looking forwards instead of backwards. So Russia hits us, we hit them back and they hit us and then we forget about it and they do it again at some point just to show they can. All these people rolling their shirt sleeves up and posturing- Corbyn actually thinks about how to get the best result out of it.
    Positive action is how you get the best result out of it. Appeasement just means you have a bigger problem next time

I know we can't trust the Russian labs to test any chemicals. We know from Olympic experience that the results they publish are completely made up. However, I'm pleased to hear Boris say this morning, that Britain would send a sample of the nerve agent to the 'Organisation for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons', for independent assessment. Providing they conclude the same result as Porton Down there'll be a lot more support from the world in general.

Incidentally, has anyone heard of the Leicester university lecturer Tara McCormack? I first noticed her on RT television soon after the crisis broke. She pretty much made the same demands as the Russian government. Yesterday she appeared on Sky news and was interviewed by Kay Burley, it resembled a cat fight with Burley getting very hot under the collar indeed. Last night she appeared on LBC with Ian Dale - he ended up looking like this (actual picture.)

Must admit I'm suspicious of anyone who appears on RT, especially since the day I saw them interview Bez about the NHS. It can't be considered a serious news station,

That's interesting. She was on Radio 4 yesterday too. Distinctly unimpressive. I wonder how she has managed to get herself so much airtime. She is not exactly an academic heavyweight.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Putin just laughs at us - we are not the British Empire anymore FFS! people have to wake up and smell the coffee. Russia is a superpower and might be one of those countries Liam Fox needs to do deals with after Brexit!!! And we are not taking positive action, we are taking token action!

Oh so putin can do what he wants then.

Russia is only a superpower because of the nuclear weapons it possesses and it’s tendency for espionage. It’s gdp isn’t very high and apart from gas and vodka, what do they give the world?
    Ok, you stop him! A bit of diplomacy works wonders here especially when you are dealing with an ego like his. Talking is the way to solve these problems - always has been. Sorry if you want to give him a bloody nose but you have to live in the real world. And nobody is talking about not buying its gas, which really would hurt Russia. It is all one big joke!
  • Options

Putin just laughs at us - we are not the British Empire anymore FFS! people have to wake up and smell the coffee. Russia is a superpower and might be one of those countries Liam Fox needs to do deals with after Brexit!!! And we are not taking positive action, we are taking token action!

Russia is only a superpower because of the nuclear weapons it possesses and it’s tendency for espionage. It’s gdp isn’t very high and apart from gas and vodka, what do they give the world?
    Ok, you stop him! A bit of diplomacy works wonders here especially when you are dealing with an ego like his. Talking is the way to solve these problems - always has been. Sorry if you want to give him a bloody nose but you have to live in the real world. And nobody is talking about not buying its gas, which really would hurt Russia. It is all one big joke!
    The majority on here would probably agree with your comment about talking solving problems.
    Strange how few, admittedly on other threads, haven’t been vocal in their praise of Trump planning to do just that, with the North Korean leader !
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Tell that to the copper's family. How much taxpayers money has been spent on a neccessary investigation?
    That's the only part I feel is unfortunate and I do have sympathy with the policeman however in the dark and murky world of international espionage these things are to be expected especially for those who defect. I'd be absolutely shocked if we aren't doing similar in other countries around the world.
    Chaz Hill said:

could one of the unannounced measures be no bans on England supporters travelling to the World Cup?

And all you have to do is get there, simple and good luck with that if sanctions or other little obstacles are put in place.

Of course, there is the issue of would you really want to go if Putin’s thugs are are going to be targeting the English fans even more because of this ?
    Well yes obviously if Russia imposes a ban on people from the British Isles yes it would be extremely difficult. However I wasn't answering that, I was simply stating the fact that with a match ticket you do not need a visa to enter the country as things currently stand, I cannot predict the future and neither can you, so wind it in a bit.

Didn't you also try this in the other thread about going to Russia for the world cup? Once again you are trying to predict the future. I don't think anyone is going to say there will be absolutely no trouble whatsoever this summer but personally I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as the tabloid media are making out it will be. In fact the Russians have imposed an awful lot of measures on their own fans in the build up, the last thing they want is to be made fools of on their own turf. A load of meat heads beating up fans from other countries will be an embarrassment and something I'm certain Putin will not want.
    It’s not about predicting whether Russia will let you in or not it’s more about how you will get there and how welcome you will be if you do. Expansion of sanctions and the use of unexplained wealth orders are measures that have already been put on the table by the PM. Sanctions tend to have a far greater impact than legally intended/implied because banks in particular won’t take the risk that monies passing over their books isn’t sanctioned. That tends to stop a lot of even the permitted business and if Trump follows up and issues an executive order then shanksey’s pony might be your best bet come the summer. And take lots of cash in case your cards don’t work there (but probably not £, or $ or € in case the US and EU do back the UK). Then there’s the UWOs. Freeze the assets of Putin and his mates and there’s going to be a lot of very pissed of Russians come the World Cup and the English will be to blame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tara McCormack has been on tv since day one of this business. I don't trust her. A classic case of the lady protesting too much.

As for RT - it's 100% propaganda. Some of it is useful from the perspective of finding out things that the likes of Murdoch don't want you to hear. 90% is junk though. Need to be very careful in filtering it.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Chaz Hill said:

It’s not about predicting whether Russia will let you in or not it’s more about how you will get there and how welcome you will be if you do. Expansion of sanctions and the use of unexplained wealth orders are measures that have already been put on the table by the PM. Sanctions tend to have a far greater impact than legally intended/implied because banks in particular won’t take the risk that monies passing over their books isn’t sanctioned. That tends to stop a lot of even the permitted business and if Trump follows up and issues an executive order then shanksey’s pony might be your best bet come the summer. And take lots of cash in case your cards don’t work there (but probably not £, or $ or € in case the US and EU do back the UK). Then there’s the UWOs. Freeze the assets of Putin and his mates and there’s going to be a lot of very pissed of Russians come the World Cup and the English will be to blame.
    Ok mate.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Redskin said:

As a government publically against immigration, how do we have so many Russians in this country with no entry criteria in their favour apart from laundered cash?

Quite. Starting with Roman Abramovic, as I have been asking ever since he pitched up here. Indeed what is the history of his residency status? Probably the ridiculous non-dom status we created for such people (and under Blair, if I recall).

Abramovic ruined English football, and specifically he ruined CAFC in the Parker affair. He's top of my personal list for expulsion.

Abramovic didn't ruin English football, Sky did.
    And as for him 'specifically' ruining Charlton in the 'Parker affair', your histionics seem to know no bounds: we sold a player who wanted to leave. However, I agree he is a deeply unsavoury character, and should be given short shrift.
    1. Sky did not require the FA to hive off the Premier League as a separate business entity. They wanted only to show top level football. What happened to the money, they did not stipulate. See Germany, where the Bundesliga remains subordinate to the DFS, and the money flows down more evenly.

2. Actually there were signs that the transfer market was calming down, just before Abramovic came on the scene. he splashed the cash (which should have been building Russian hospitals) and they all did the same to try and keep up.

3. No Abramovic, no Chelsea bid in January. Parker might have gone in the summer, but by then we may well have been in the UEFA cup place. As often discussed here. As is the reasonable hypothesis that it marked the start of our decline.

4. At least we can agree on Abramovic as an individual.

Just catching up on this thread.

I agree with you on Abramovich as an individual, as well as how he spends his illbegotten money. But to say that he, or even Sky ruined English football is very shortsighted. The money and marketing of the Premier League has brought a huge increase in the quality of football in England. I would almost make the counter argument that the Sky money has kept English football relevant in a way I don't think it would be if it didn't have the explosion of cash. I don't see how English players would be drastically better suited to the modern game without the wealth of the Prem, given they struggle with the resources generated by the Prem. I think the problems developing players runs much deeper.

You're bang on when you point out that the FA chose to let the Premier League go off as a separate entity, and as such they lost all control. The Bundesliga is an excellent example, and not coincidentally that relationship allowed for the revamp in German football in the last 18 years.

As for Abramovich at Chelsea, if it wasn't him it would have been someone else and his takeover was 15 years ago (!). I think the conditions were such with the TV money and lack of regulations or oversight meant that eventually a stupidly rich person would come in and do an Abramovich.
  • Options

The majority on here would probably agree with your comment about talking solving problems.
    Strange how few, admittedly on other threads, haven’t been vocal in their praise of Trump planning to do just that, with the North Korean leader !
    I'm just so happy the President of the United States finally has someone to stick up for him.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I'm just so happy the President of the United States finally has someone to stick up for him.
    Not just me. I think the American public put him in charge.
    Anything to cheer you up.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Corbyn says it - that’s ok. Trump does it - not good.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Hilary Clinton won the popularity vote remember...

So whilst Trump won the Election, Clinton would have won had it been different rules
  • Options
    What a strange tangent to send this thread off on to
  • Options

SDAddick said:

I'm not going to argue with you. You don't put forth actual opinions or solutions you just criticize everyone else's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Chaz Hill said:

And in what way does that make it in anyway "fine"?

It's not a movie, it's real life and it's in a small English city.

Agree.

and all three victims are British citizens, as was Litvinenko. Or does British citizenship mean nothing any more?

Um ask me again in about a year ;) (too soon?)
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Hilary Clinton won the popularity vote remember...

So whilst Trump won the Election, Clinton would have won had it been different rules
    Which is why I worded it the way I did.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I'm not going to argue with you. You don't put forth actual opinions or solutions you just criticize everyone else's.
    Oh the irony. What does Corbyn do again? Him and trump are two sides of the same coin imo
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

There is no argument. All I’ve said is that somenon here agree with anything Corbyn says and blast Trump for doing exactly what Corbyn puts forward.
    That, of course, is my opinion, although according to you, I don’t put forth actual opinions.
    And that Trump was elected President.
    You’ve gone from being so happy to bring a tad tetchy.
  • Options
    Well I haven't criticised Trump for talking to North Korea.
  • Options

Well I haven't criticised Trump for talking to North Korea.

When did this happen?
  • Options
    Good to see Gavin Williamson giving it the big 'un. Putin will be shitting himself tonight.
  • Options
    It distracts from Brexit!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I see SKY News is reporting President Macron is ready to snub the official Russian stand at the Paris book fair...that’ll show Putin the French mean business...