Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

23 Russian diplomats expelled and other actions.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @PragueAddick
    All I can see in your first two points is assumption & conjecture - the German reference aside, which bears no relevence to Abramovic's involvement at Chelsea - as for the third, it is abject fantasy.
    We agree about the man, which I imagine is where all this started, so I'll bid you goodnight.
  • Options
    Nerve agent, if planted by a Russian backed agent is nasty, as for the spy no sympathy he betrayed his country, this story has a lot more behind it than front page headlines, the espionage and murky world of agents is a conspiratory theorists dream.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Am I the only one who thinks what happened is fine/doesn't care that?
  • Options
    could one of the unannounced measures be no bans on England supporters travelling to the World Cup?
  • Options

could one of the unannounced measures be no bans on England supporters travelling to the World Cup?

Best of luck to those fans, who still want to go, actually getting a visa!
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Tell that to the copper's family. How much taxpayers money has been spent on a neccessary investigation?
    That's the only part I feel is unfortunate and I do have sympathy with the policeman however in the dark and murky world of international espionage these things are to be expected especially for those who defect. I'd be absolutely shocked if we aren't doing similar in other countries around the world.
    Chaz Hill said:

Having a match ticket is your visa to enter Russia this summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Tell that to the copper's family. How much taxpayers money has been spent on a neccessary investigation?
    That's the only part I feel is unfortunate and I do have sympathy with the policeman however in the dark and murky world of international espionage these things are to be expected especially for those who defect. I'd be absolutely shocked if we aren't doing similar in other countries around the world.
    Chaz Hill said:

And in what way does that make it in anyway "fine"?

It's not a movie, it's real life and it's in a small English city.

Agree.

and all three victims are British citizens, as was Litvinenko. Or does British citizenship mean nothing any more?

• Options
    What I find interesting is the fact that they’ve expelled 23 diplomats on the basis of them being spies. If they knew that already it seems to suggest there is a certain level of it going on that’s ‘accepted’
  • Options
    Well yes, it is a case of we know you are here, you know we are there, lets maintain the status quo.

we have probably got 10 'cultural attaches' based in Moscow ourselves.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Chaz Hill said:

And all you have to do is get there, simple and good luck with that if sanctions or other little obstacles are put in place.

Of course, there is the issue of would you really want to go if Putin’s thugs are are going to be targeting the English fans even more because of this ?
  • Options

I think our beer bellied stone Island lot would come slightly unstuck against their mob to be fair.

• Options
    I must admit the Russians are a funny lot...sharing a holiday hotel with them was a bit like a Chekhov adaption of the Jeremy Kyle show

I think the world is coming to the conclusion that Russian arrogance (and it appears to be a national trait, hence Putin's popularity at home) needs to be dealt with

Incidentally I think we went to war with someone about 150 years ago over the murder of an adopted British citizen ...my 0 level history failing me a bit here but I think spurred the term civis Romanus sum

• Options
    lolwray said:

I must admit the Russians are a funny lot...sharing a holiday hotel with them was a bit like a Chekhov adaption of the Jeremy Kyle show

I think the world is coming to the conclusion that Russian arrogance (and it appears to be a national trait, hence Putin's popularity at home) needs to be dealt with

Incidentally I think we went to war with someone about 150 years ago over the murder of an adopted British citizen ...my 0 level history failing me a bit here but I think spurred the term civis Romanus sum

think your o level history is failing you by about 2000 years re: civis romanus sum
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Jeremy once a red always a red Corbyn now having 20 labour back benches calling for a motion to blame Russia after he said there's no evidence of the Salisbury attack being Russian. Corbyn doesn't want to jeopardize the Siberian double glazed bungalow he intends to retire to in 2022.

I don't understand this "Russia = Communist" which is why Corbyn has been (shamefully) hesitant to criticise them. It's 2018, Russia is about as communist as Texas.
    He’s probably half aware that Russian troll farms put out pro Corbyn content. But for the most part Corbyn is naturally a contrarian, anything May says Corbyn has to fight back an aneurysm to not say the direct opposite of what she says or an opposite opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

US citizens in this country - easy. No green card. Hundreds of thousands of Oz and Kiwis who only allow skilled uk professionals down under. Huge South American communities. South Africans, Saudis, East Asians with dodgy financial pedigrees. Russian money-laundering criminals. But we don't want Poles who come here legitimately or middle east refugees who flee homelands because we have turned their country into a war zone. Lets have an immigration policy based on something other than how much money you have.

I half agree with you but I think it's clear that the Muslim paedophile gang phenomena and the ongoing terrorism threat has (rightly or wrongly) killed off any chance of our country opening the gates to middle eastern refugees for the foreseeable future. I think we can agree though that the primary reason for accepting people into this country should be the skills they bring with them and the positive contribution that they're likely to make. Those principals should be directed as much at an Oligarch as a young Pole trying to make a better life for himself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

se9addick said:

Jeremy once a red always a red Corbyn now having 20 labour back benches calling for a motion to blame Russia after he said there's no evidence of the Salisbury attack being Russian. Corbyn doesn't want to jeopardize the Siberian double glazed bungalow he intends to retire to in 2022.

I don't understand this "Russia = Communist" which is why Corbyn has been (shamefully) hesitant to criticise them. It's 2018, Russia is about as communist as Texas.
    He’s probably half aware that Russian troll farms put out pro Corbyn content. But for the most part Corbyn is naturally a contrarian, anything May says Corbyn has to fight back an aneurysm to not say the direct opposite of what she says or an opposite opinion.
    He is a pragmatist and has a weird approach in terms of looking forwards instead of backwards. So Russia hits us, we hit them back and they hit us and then we forget about it and they do it again at some point just to show they can. All these people rolling their shirt sleeves up and posturing- Corbyn actually thinks about how to get the best result out of it.
  • Options

se9addick said:

He is a pragmatist and has a weird approach in terms of looking forwards instead of backwards. So Russia hits us, we hit them back and they hit us and then we forget about it and they do it again at some point just to show they can. All these people rolling their shirt sleeves up and posturing- Corbyn actually thinks about how to get the best result out of it.
    Positive action is how you get the best result out of it. Appeasement just means you have a bigger problem next time
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Putin just laughs at us - we are not the British Empire anymore FFS! people have to wake up and smell the coffee. Russia is a superpower and might be one of those countries Liam Fox needs to do deals with after Brexit!!! And we are not taking positive action, we are taking token action!
  • Options
    Why did May not wait the ten days as laid out out in the NATO ruling?
    The whole thing doesn't make sense, he was incarcerated in Russia they had plenty of opportunity to bump him off, subsequently he was pardoned.
    Ok he was used in a swap, and his intelligence picked clean, but why use Russian made nerve agent? Because it points at the Russians thats why.
    Bullets can come from any country, so if the Russians wanted to do him, then just shoot him, again why would they?
    But if our government got hold of this nerve agent formula, by manufacturing it, using info gleaned from our spies, and lest be honest they must know the formula so they can identify it, then we could make it look like the Russians and May can be made to look like a tough PM, which her ridiculous demands have, to the less free thinking out there...its her Thatcher Falklands moment and cleans up a lot of her previous crap and will boost her ratings to the less intelligent.
    Now the above is a theory, but why not wait the ten days, its all a bit convenient for me.
    Anyone remember WMD?
  • Options
    I know we can't trust the Russian labs to test any chemicals. We know from Olympic experience that the results they publish are completely made up. However, I'm pleased to hear Boris say this morning, that Britain would send a sample of the nerve agent to the 'Organisation for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons', for independent assessment. Providing they conclude the same result as Porton Down there'll be a lot more support from the world in general.

Incidentally, has anyone heard of the Leicester university lecturer Tara McCormack? I first noticed her on RT television soon after the crisis broke. She pretty much made the same demands as the Russian government. Yesterday she appeared on Sky news and was interviewed by Kay Burley, it resembled a cat fight with Burley getting very hot under the collar indeed. Last night she appeared on LBC with Ian Dale - he ended up looking like this (actual picture.)

Must admit I'm suspicious of anyone who appears on RT, especially since the day I saw them interview Bez about the NHS. It can't be considered a serious news station,
  • Options
    Could the Russians have used a military grade nerve agent to send the very simple message that they could kill all of us if they wanted.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

The whole thing doesn't make sense, he was incarcerated in Russia they had plenty of opportunity to bump him off, subsequently he was pardoned.
    Ok he was used in a swap, and his intelligence picked clean, but why use Russian made nerve agent? Because it points at the Russians thats why.
    Bullets can come from any country, so if the Russians wanted to do him, then just shoot him, again why would they?
    But if our government got hold of this nerve agent formula, by manufacturing it, using info gleaned from our spies, and lest be honest they must know the formula so they can identify it, then we could make it look like the Russians and May can be made to look like a tough PM, which her ridiculous demands have, to the less free thinking out there...its her Thatcher Falklands moment and cleans up a lot of her previous crap and will boost her ratings to the less intelligent.
    Now the above is a theory, but why not wait the ten days, its all a bit convenient for me.
    Anyone remember WMD?

I think you are looking too deeply into this. The Russians like to make a statement and leave no doubt who has done the deed.
    Hence a nerve agent that they alone developed.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Anyone remember WMD?

Possible. But Russia/Putin creating this whole situation to say "We did it. You know we did, we know we did. But you can't do s*** about it because we're bigger and more powerful than you" is ENTIRELY in character. An alternative motive is to try and force a wedge between America and the UK (depending on how much control/influence you assume Russia has over The Donald and his cronies) - a quite clearly Russian attack and a traditional friend and ally can't/won't back us up on it and the message will be ''Russia yanks Trump's chains."

Occam's razor says that a Russian spy killed by a Russian manufactured nerve agent is Russian business. It could be more complex and convoluted than that but that ascribes a higher level of competence and planning to our own government than they generally seem familiar with.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Anyone remember WMD?

I think you are looking too deeply into this. The Russians like to make a statement and leave no doubt who has done the deed.
    Hence a nerve agent that they alone developed.
    Really? Im just trying to apply some logic. I also think that there is much more to this whole fiasco, none of it makes any sense.

Try this:-

https://evolvepolitics.com/watch-an-ex-mi5-agent-just-showed-precisely-why-the-tories-are-so-desperate-to-ban-russia-today-video/
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I know we can't trust the Russian labs to test any chemicals. We know from Olympic experience that the results they publish are completely made up. However, I'm pleased to hear Boris say this morning, that Britain would send a sample of the nerve agent to the 'Organisation for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons', for independent assessment. Providing they conclude the same result as Porton Down there'll be a lot more support from the world in general.

Incidentally, has anyone heard of the Leicester university lecturer Tara McCormack? I first noticed her on RT television soon after the crisis broke. She pretty much made the same demands as the Russian government. Yesterday she appeared on Sky news and was interviewed by Kay Burley, it resembled a cat fight with Burley getting very hot under the collar indeed. Last night she appeared on LBC with Ian Dale - he ended up looking like this (actual picture.)

Must admit I'm suspicious of anyone who appears on RT, especially since the day I saw them interview Bez about the NHS. It can't be considered a serious news station,

Of course we can't - we'd give them a sample but test our own of course. But the act has happened and our goal needs to be to stop it happening again. The fact is, we can't threaten a country like Russia and accepting that doesn't make us weak.

RT is their version of Fox news - and the equivalent of our Daily Mail!