Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wildcards for the England football team.

Comments

• Gareth Southgate on Joe Hart's inclusion in the squad

"Clearly the number one jersey is up for grabs.

"Joe (Hart) has had a difficult period with his club and he had to miss out on selection a few times when David Moyes came in.

"He's got a great number of caps and he's the most experienced keeper in our squad so we wanted to keep him around."

that confirms Joe Hart's place for Russia!!... He'll be third choice to offer guidance
  • How is Livermore still in the squad? Not playing well, in a rubbish side AND involved in the taxi incident...
  • Gareth Southgate on Joe Hart's inclusion in the squad

"Clearly the number one jersey is up for grabs.

"Joe (Hart) has had a difficult period with his club and he had to miss out on selection a few times when David Moyes came in.

"He's got a great number of caps and he's the most experienced keeper in our squad so we wanted to keep him around."

that confirms Joe Hart's place for Russia!!... He'll be third choice to offer guidance

What a load of bull. You're talking about players at international level. They're not kids making their football debut. It's a waste of a squad place IMO
  • That’s a terrifying squad. I bet the rest of the world are shaking in their boots.
  • Danny Welbeck!! My god, what on earth has he done to warrant inclusion?

Everton have 6 players in the U21 squad, future could be brighter for them if they all stay there and develop.
  • Shelvey is actually playing quite well at the moment - he is definitely worth a look. I don't rate Southgate at all so I can see why he doesn't get it!
  • In the case of Shelvey he plays best as the central creative outlet.

In terms of England depth he's probably behind Alli, Wilshere, Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The defensive side of central midfield is Dier, Henderson, Cook and Livermore.
  • I think the Spurs formation looks something like this this season:

Lloris
    Aurier Vertongen Sanchez Rose

Dembele Wanyama
    Eriksen Alli Son
    Kane

So I would say -put Shelvey in the Eriksen position and Sterling in the Son position. I think that gives you goals which is something the England team lacks. Then have Wilshire and Henderson in the middle.

Lloris

Dembele Wanyama
    Eriksen Alli Son
    Kane

So I would say -put Shelvey in the Eriksen position and Sterling in the Son position. I think that gives you goals which is something the England team lacks. Then have Wilshire and Henderson in the middle.

Shelvey has scored five goals in two years at Newcastle, all in the Championship, so I don't quite understand your thinking.

Lloris

Dembele Wanyama
    Eriksen Alli Son
    Kane

Shelvey has scored five goals in two years at Newcastle, all in the Championship, so I don't quite understand your thinking.
    Jonjos stats aren't impressive, he only has 2 assists all season as well! Alli, Lallana, The Ox are more attacking midfielders. Shelvey is more deep lying in my opinion. He's got talent just needs to be a more consistent performer
  • Sponsored links:

Lloris

Dembele Wanyama
    Eriksen Alli Son
    Kane

I think he is a player that will fit into the system - I have followed his career close enough to base that on some knowledge. And I am saying try it - it is the sort of thing an England manager should be looking at! By the way, that doesn't have to be our first option, but it is another option - always give yourselves options - we can see that ourselves in our own team!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Jonjo isn't all that. He can turn it on when he wamts, but how often is that honestly?

He reads the game better than in recent years but I think he needs some added direction. Fantastic on his day, but his day isn't often enough.

Agreed , also for a centre midfielder you need to do more than just passing. Don't think he can run a game and not very defensive. Something different so wouldn't be too disappointed if he was an impact sub, but we have no hope if he is starting imo
  • He'd tear this league to shreds admittedly but will always be another almost man.

Real shame.
  • when I watch him some of the passing he attempts is sublime and he's doing passes that no other English midfielder would even dream of doing. some are risky and if not exact or misread they can lead to giving the ball away but I do love that he tries them anyway. a maverick approach which I doubt Southgate would want in his team. which is a shame.
  • Leuth said:

For what it's worth, here's my team. I am a clueless idiot who doesn't care that much, bear in mind:

Pickford

Trippier Stones [idk, some Utd player ffs] Young/Rose (depending on how much we need to attack - Rose being the more attacking, weirdly enough)

Not Dier. Ummmm....who's a good 'pivot'? Shelvey? Haha you guys! Let's say...Milner? That's a controversial one but I reckon he'd fit the role pretty well. Not got Dier's athleticism but I reckon he's probably more composed and disciplined. Dier can be our defensive supersub and Shelvey can be in the squad. NB this is probably the single position England are most in need of a great player in

Wilshere :D and Scholes someone who can score from 30 yards. This is literally the only acceptable selection criterion. Ummm...how about...Dale Stephens? B) (I don't know how good Lewis Cook is - hopefully better than Jordan Henderson. I guess Danny Drinkwater will get the nod over both Stephens and Cook because he plays for Chelsea, and he can hit 'em to an extent I guess) I guess Drinkwater then, whatever

ALLI KANE RASHFORD

there. happy?

Im a big fan on Milner holding central midfield. Unfortunately he's retired from International football.

Cant believe how shallow we are in central midfield talent. Apart from Wilshere, we are crap in that department.
  • Shelvey is potentially one of the best passing midfielders we have, but aside from concerns over his temperament, I honestly just don't think he works hard enough to be trusted for England.

When Newcastle played Bournemouth a few weeks ago, he played an unbelievable defence-splitting pass to create Newcastle's goal, but then proceeded to switch off/not track back which led to Bournemouth ultimately winning the game. He does this consistently and some Newcastle fans I know aren't that keen on him as this was just one example of a constant frustration with him.

The predicament is that his best position is the base of midfield, rather than further forward where he could play more of a free role, but playing him at the base means he needs to work hard positionally and defensively, which he isn't good enough at.
  • Shelvey is potentially one of the best passing midfielders we have, but aside from concerns over his temperament, I honestly just don't think he works hard enough to be trusted for England.

When Newcastle played Bournemouth a few weeks ago, he played an unbelievable defence-splitting pass to create Newcastle's goal, but then proceeded to switch off/not track back which led to Bournemouth ultimately winning the game. He does this consistently and some Newcastle fans I know aren't that keen on him as this was just one example of a constant frustration with him.

The predicament is that his best position is the base of midfield, rather than further forward where he could play more of a free role, but playing him at the base means he needs to work hard positionally and defensively, which he isn't good enough at.

He'd picked up a knock for this incident so wasn't able to get back
  • Interesting that Ruben Neves has been called up by Portugal - Seems the European Champions have no issues picking players from the Championship, shame England continue picking players based on their clubs
  • 3 years ago, I thought Stones and Gomez would be our CB at the World cup 2018. Joe Gomez has had his progress halted by missing a year and only playing at RB since he recovered. Stones has slipped to 3rd or 4th choice CB at City. Cahill is 3rd choice at Chelsea, Dyer can look sleepy at international level and still not convinced Smalling and Jones are the Answer. so Tarkowski (lovely Lancs mill name) could be a surprise choice in the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting that Ruben Neves has been called up by Portugal - Seems the European Champions have no issues picking players from the Championship, shame England continue picking players based on their clubs

Maybe in the past but surely not the case these days when you see the likes of Butland, Mawson, Livermore, Tarkowski, Bertrand, Cook and Pope in the squad. None of these are at top/fashionable clubs.

The only 2 players in the squad based on their name/club i'd say are Hart and Welbeck. Even Henderson who is pretty shit, plays week in week out for a champions league club.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Jonjo isn't all that. He can turn it on when he wamts, but how often is that honestly?

He reads the game better than in recent years but I think he needs some added direction. Fantastic on his day, but his day isn't often enough.

Agree, reads the game better after his time at Swansea and playing under Rafa, but not well enough for international level for me. And his positional sense seems to either be just standing around, or getting sucked out of position far too easily. He can play good defense splitting passes and long raking passes at times, but how often is there that much space in international matches? Not much, as Steven Gerrard can tell you.

Plus he likes a rash tackle.

He's in the Mark Noble category for me. Good Premier League player, nothing more, and his game is not at all suited to the international game, which is more tactical and technical.
  • Another fine performance by Mark Albrighton yesterday, who has to be considered unlucky to never be called up

An old fashioned player in many ways, as unlike most wide players these days who prefer to cut in and act as wide forwards, he's a genuine winger, and can actually cross the ball.

Some great crosses yesterday with both feet, I imagine Harry Kane would love to have someone like him on the wing constantly putting the ball into dangerous positions.

Totally agree with this, not sure how he has never really been considered. Always thought he is underrated, LM or even LB he has done a job.
  • Wilshere has picked up an injury and hasnt travelled to Holland for tomorrows match...
  • Wilshere has picked up an injury and hasnt travelled to Holland for tomorrows match...

Wilshere? Injured? Surely not.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Wilshere has picked up an injury and hasnt travelled to Holland for tomorrows match...

Wilshere? Injured? Surely not.
    I know it’s the Spurs/Arsenal rivalry talking, but this is a bollock ache. He’s got the natural ability to be the best creative midfielder and closest player to the continent that we’ve had for years. Wilshere even comes across as a complete dick but as an England fan it’s frustrating to watch.

• This is what he’s up against. Proper annoyed me, what’s he meant to say.
  • Jordan Henderson as captain when probably 99% of the country wouldn't even have him in their team says it all really.