Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wildcards for the England football team.

Comments

• Options
    Just noticed that Stevenage's; Ben Wilmot has been called up to the U19s

Bet with him already playing League Two Football, he wont be at that level come next season
  • Options
    the goalkeeping position is actually a hard one as I said before no one has looked great (apart from Pope but he has the least experience)

Pickford looks crap in the air. doesn't control his box at set pieces. good at shot stopping.
    Butland tough one but he does have a poor record at Stoke. still looks as if Liverpool might put in a 40 million bid in for him.
    Hart always seems capable of making a howler and often does.
    then there's that beef of a man Forster, who's not anywhere near good enough.

so your struggling for choice. if you are picking three then Butland, Pope and Hart.
  • Options
    Butland, Pickford and Pope would be my 3

Heaton might get the nod if he displaces Pope
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Shelvey compared to Eriksen... heard it all now!

Well the comparison was in playing style not ability. It is about balance and using the strengths of other players allowing them to play in a similar way they do for their club. That is what good managers do.
    I play in a similar style to Shelvey and Eriksen but there's no way I should be shoe horned into the England team because of it.

If he's not good enough (he's not) then he shouldn't be in the team.
    No, but with all due respect Shelvey is a Premiership player and you are not! I'm sure you are half decent, but if I was advocating you get picked I would expect to be sent to the funny farm! This is one of the key things about management in my opinion, balance. That can mean you don't always play the 100% best players, but you try to produce the best team. That is about having the right sort of attacking players so you don't fill the midfield with very good water carriers who can't score goals for toffee or make the incisive passes for instance. It is about having the right number of leaders and looking how your best players prefer to play! There is an argument that a player like Shelvey could thrive given a run and playing with better players.
  • Options
    I think it is a real problem area - You can make a decent case for Pope which is quite amazing!
  • Options

Shelvey compared to Eriksen... heard it all now!

Well the comparison was in playing style not ability. It is about balance and using the strengths of other players allowing them to play in a similar way they do for their club. That is what good managers do.
    I play in a similar style to Shelvey and Eriksen but there's no way I should be shoe horned into the England team because of it.

If he's not good enough (he's not) then he shouldn't be in the team.
    No, but with all due respect Shelvey is a Premiership player and you are not! I'm sure you are half decent, but if I was advocating you get picked I would expect to be sent to the funny farm! This is one of the key things about management in my opinion, balance. That can mean you don't always play the 100% best players, but you try to produce the best team. That is about having the right sort of attacking players so you don't fill the midfield with very good water carriers who can't score goals for toffee or make the incisive passes for instance. It is about having the right number of leaders and looking how your best players prefer to play! There is an argument that a player like Shelvey could thrive given a run and playing with better players.
    To an extent Shelvey had this chance (at Liverpool) and failed to take it...
  • Options
    I'd play 4-2-3-1

Dier and Wilshire would be my 2. I like the idea of having one being more defensive minded and the other being more attacking minded.
  • Options
    Konsa called up to the England under 20’s squad.
  • Options
    U20s Announced... http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/15/england-u20s-squad-named-for-poland-and-portugal-150318

Ezri Konsa has been called up so we'll be without him and Magennis for Plymouth

Unless of course we can sign the San Marino Striker and so get that game called off and delay the inevitable defeat
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    U21s include Ryan Sessegnon and Ademola Lookman.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/15/england-u21s-squad-named-for-romania-and-ukraine-150318

Tammy Abraham | Dominic Solanke | Harry Winks | Trent Alexander-Arnold are all involved as well so guessing we're resorting to the usual names for the England Senior team (Although appears Joe Gomez and maybe Lewis Cook will be with them)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hart is crap. Did you see the mistake on Saturday? Pickford, Heaton, Pope and Butland are all better than him.
  • Options
    Seems as though Calvert-Lewin has been selected...
  • Options

In the Under 21 squad
  • Options

In the Under 21 squad
    Cheers; my bad as was going by one of the Newspaper articles
  • Options
    Tawkowski and Pope both in the squad
  • Options
    Think that Alfie Mawson is the big surprise

Am worried by the lack of Strikers... Vardy and Rashford are the only two?

Has Robinson become Manager?
  • Options
    Oh and I missed him first time round but... WELBECK???
  • Options
    No Smalling or Jones which I find surprising seeing as they have been playing week in week out for United, yet Stones can't get into the City squad lately. The same with Gomez in all honesty, as Alexander-Arnold has been keeping him out the side after his injury.
  • Options
    I like the font they've used...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4 keepers seems a bit excessive. I guess Southgate couldn't bring himself to leave Hart out of the squad
  • Options
    Ross said:

No Smalling or Jones which I find surprising seeing as they have been playing week in week out for United, yet Stones can't get into the City squad lately. The same with Gomez in all honesty, as Alexander-Arnold has been keeping him out the side after his injury.

Makes you wonder if Southgate will continue with three at the back so Gomez will effectively be playing his natural position of Centre-Back... with the World Cup team from that being something like:

Pope
    Gomez | Stones | Maguire
    Walker | Wilshere | Dier | Rose
    Sterling | Kane | Rashford
  • Options
    Out of the 27 I would say there are only about 13 that are nailed on for the World Cup squad (14 if you include Kane).
  • Options
    Ross said:

Out of the 27 I would say there are only about 13 that are nailed on for the World Cup squad (14 if you include Kane).

If you had to remove five to take it down to 23 (to inc Kane) then for me it would be:

Hart | Mawson | Welbeck | Henderson | Bertrand
  • Options
    Mixed feelings about that. Haven't seen enough of Mawson and Cook (you can't judge a player by MOTD highlights)

Livermore/Welbeck/Henderson/Lallana
    NO THANKS

Glad to see Pope in there!
  • Options
    Lewis Cook was U20 Captain for the World Cup and is getting regular game time with Bournemouth

He's good young choice to go to Russia for me
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Ashley Young is an interesting player to have in the squad; even though it's not his natural position, he's probably been the best English LB in the PL this season, with Rose missing out to Davies most weeks
  • Options

Ross said:

If you had to remove five to take it down to 23 (to inc Kane) then for me it would be:

Henderson and Bertrand were two of my 13. Not that I would say that they should be in the squad, but rather that they are always in the squad and play.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Ross said:

Henderson and Bertrand were two of my 13. Not that I would say that they should be in the squad, but rather that they are always in the squad and play.
    I've taken out Henderson in favour of Cook and Dier | Bertrand in favour of Rose and Young for that Left-Back slot
  • Options

Ashley Young is an interesting player to have in the squad; even though it's not his natural position, he's probably been the best English LB in the PL this season, with Rose missing out to Davies most weeks

Kept Mo Salah quite last week who is probably the most in form player around at the moment.