Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wildcards for the England football team.

Comments

• edited March 2018

agim said:

I like Barnes at Burnley. We all know if fit Kane will lead the line and rightly so but I think this fella would be constant aggro for the opposition defence. Him and Vardy off the bench would be good options

Great shout, Barnes has been in good form. Also another option similar to Kane with a bit less pace but a good allrounder.
    Unfortunately, and weirdly, Barnes has already declared himself for Austria.
    Austrian Grandparent...

He's played for the Austria U20 side but that was back in 2008, seeing it wasnt a competitive senior game... He still can play for England... Although Austria did take a look at him against West Ham

I guess that if he did play for England against Holland or Italy, that wouldnt tie him down either and would still be able to represent Austria in any future competitive games
  • dickplumb said:

Jadon Sancho is getting rave reviews for Borussia Dortmund.

dickplumb said:

I wouldnt be surprised if either Sancho or Foden get called up to the Seniors today, expect them both to be with the U21s at best though (making that extra jump)... With the potential for them to be involved training with the Seniors at some stage
    Sancho has been injured. Hasn't played for Dortmund for weeks, although he should be back fairly soon.
  • dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

I wouldnt be surprised if either Sancho or Foden get called up to the Seniors today, expect them both to be with the U21s at best though (making that extra jump)... With the potential for them to be involved training with the Seniors at some stage
    Sancho has been injured. Hasn't played for Dortmund for weeks, although he should be back fairly soon.
    I read a Football Focus interview just before the Leipzig game... Other than sounding a very down to earth young man, he also gave the impression that he was just coming back from that injury

Has he still not been involved for Dortmund since?
  • dickplumb said:

At the start of season I had two bets for the England World Cup squad, Chalobah at 20/1 and Sancho at 40/1.

Both got injured whilst they were hitting form. Sancho is still injured but should be back before the end of the month. If Dortmund reach the Europa league final I think he could have a decent chance of making the squad. Foden and Sancho are the real deal and could easily be the top European players for the next decade.
  • dickplumb said:

At the start of season I had two bets for the England World Cup squad, Chalobah at 20/1 and Sancho at 40/1.

Both got injured whilst they were hitting form. Sancho is still injured but should be back before the end of the month. If Dortmund reach the Europa league final I think he could have a decent chance of making the squad. Foden and Sancho are the real deal and could easily be the top European players for the next decade.
    Yeah if Chalobah was fit now then I'd have him as a dead certainty for the World Cup squad

As for Foden, he's the reason I tend to watch Man City games these days as wanting to see how he progresses
  • edited March 2018
    My team to start in Russia:

Hart
    Walker
    Gomez
    Stones
    Jones
    Rose
    Dier
    Loftus-Cheek
    Rashford
    Vardy
    Kane

We desperately need 3 or 4 players from outside of that 11 to step up to International level - the likes of Foden and Sancho for example.

• Do you want / think that Joe Hart will start or are you simply guessing at what Southgate will do?
  • edited March 2018

Do you want / think that Joe Hart will start or are you simply guessing at what Southgate will do?

I actually want Hart to start. I know he has had little game time and had bit of a mare last tournament. Bit in my opinion, he is a better bet than Pickford or Butland at the moment. I don’t think you can gamble with a goalkeeper going in to a World Cup - it happened with Rob Green and lasted 1 game.

• I don't know what's worse - claiming that Hart wouldn't be a gamble, or that Pickford/Butland are remotely in the calibre of Rob Green
  • Sponsored links:

• Do you want / think that Joe Hart will start or are you simply guessing at what Southgate will do?

It is a really difficult one, because the other two alternatives are in poor form. Neither Butland or Pickford deserve the number 1 spot. Arguably, Nick Pope deserves that chance, but he has not played enough premier league football for me.

If the WC was today, I would start with Hart but I really hope Stoke and Butland pick up some form before the end of the season.
  • edited March 2018
    Leuth said:

I don't know what's worse - claiming that Hart wouldn't be a gamble, or that Pickford/Butland are remotely in the calibre of Rob Green

Who said anything about Pickford or Butland being in the same calibre as Rob Green? Read the post again. I said Green was picked for 1 game and then dropped.

It is a really difficult one, because the other two alternatives are in poor form. Neither Butland or Pickford deserve the number 1 spot. Arguably, Nick Pope deserves that chance, but he has not played enough premier league football for me.

If the WC was today, I would start with Hart but I really hope Stoke and Butland pick up some form before the end of the season.
    Stoke / Butland is a difficult one... Butland will look worse than he is because of where Stoke are in the League

i.e. The bloke isnt going to save everything (I know people arent saying he should) yet he's going to have a harder job saving ANYTHING if the Defence in front of him dont offer any protection and with them second bottom that going to be obvious as they've only conceded seven more goals than Everton and one less than West Ham.

(Burnley on the other hand have conceded 30 less goals than Stoke...)

The goals against Man City on Monday night are perfect examples of the limitations of a goalkeeper...

Yes it was against Man City yet Butland didnt stand a chance with either of their goals as (1) Neither cross into the box was blocked and (2) David Silva was left completely unmarked each time
  • I like Shelvey's range of passing as much as anyone but does he have enough pace or defensive quality to play in the middle of the park against top opposition?
  • For what it's worth, here's my team. I am a clueless idiot who doesn't care that much, bear in mind:

Pickford

Trippier Stones [idk, some Utd player ffs] Young/Rose (depending on how much we need to attack - Rose being the more attacking, weirdly enough)

Not Dier. Ummmm....who's a good 'pivot'? Shelvey? Haha you guys! Let's say...Milner? That's a controversial one but I reckon he'd fit the role pretty well. Not got Dier's athleticism but I reckon he's probably more composed and disciplined. Dier can be our defensive supersub and Shelvey can be in the squad. NB this is probably the single position England are most in need of a great player in

Wilshere :D and Scholes someone who can score from 30 yards. This is literally the only acceptable selection criterion. Ummm...how about...Dale Stephens? B) (I don't know how good Lewis Cook is - hopefully better than Jordan Henderson. I guess Danny Drinkwater will get the nod over both Stephens and Cook because he plays for Chelsea, and he can hit 'em to an extent I guess) I guess Drinkwater then, whatever

ALLI KANE RASHFORD

there. happy?

• why has Lookman only played 5 games for RBL ?

has he been injured or not being picked ?
  • MrOneLung said:

why has Lookman only played 5 games for RBL ?

He was only not involved against Dortmund
  • Hmm, actually...Sterling is a gun player who gets underrated - maybe Rashford isn't such a lock for that position after all. Sterling is a great substitute to have though
  • My team to start in Russia:

Hart
    Walker
    Gomez
    Stones
    Jones
    Rose
    Dier
    Loftus-Cheek
    Rashford
    Vardy
    Kane

We desperately need 3 or 4 players from outside of that 11 to step up to International level - the likes of Foden and Sancho for example.

Mid table Premiership team. Shame we have so few world class players.
  • Sterling is an automatic starter. He's a regular for the best team in the country and has 20 goals this season.

In a 4-3-3 type or 4-2-1-3 formation he would be on the right, and probably Rashford on the left of Kane.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep, Sterling and Kane are shoe ins for the team.
  • edited March 2018

Shelvey compared to Eriksen... heard it all now!

Well the comparison was in playing style not ability. It is about balance and using the strengths of other players allowing them to play in a similar way they do for their club. That is what good managers do.
  • Sterling is an automatic starter. He's a regular for the best team in the country and has 20 goals this season.

In a 4-3-3 type or 4-2-1-3 formation he would be on the right, and probably Rashford on the left of Kane.

Agreed Sterling should be auto pick

Rashford/ Lingard is a toughie, personally i would go for the latter and bring Rashford on if we need more attackers on the pitch. Lingard seems to find all the little spaces/ pockets and done very effectively for united this season, probably plays more in the Ali role but can play on the left side too.

Going forward this is an exciting England squad for a change, Defence/ inc CDM sort of player is where we need to get sorted imo.
  • Team i would pick:

Butland

Walker Stones Maguire Rose

Dier OxCham

Sterling Alli Rashford

Kane

Have Dier in the middle to defend with the two CB and push everyone else forward to attack and OX has been in great form since Jan for Liverpool playing in the middle.
  • edited March 2018

Shelvey compared to Eriksen... heard it all now!

Well the comparison was in playing style not ability. It is about balance and using the strengths of other players allowing them to play in a similar way they do for their club. That is what good managers do.
    I play in a similar style to Shelvey and Eriksen but there's no way I should be shoe horned into the England team because of it.

If he's not good enough (he's not) then he shouldn't be in the team.
  • edited March 2018
    U18s: http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/15/england-u18s-squad-named-for-qatar-argentina-belarus-games-150318

U19s: http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/15/england-u19s-squad-named-for-elite-round-trip-150318?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

For anyone interested in the England Youth Squads that are being announced

Both Foden and Sancho have been called up to the U19s which is a shame really, would like to see them pushed up, although am sure there will be plenty of time for both to make an impact on the England team
  • U18s: http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/15/england-u18s-squad-named-for-qatar-argentina-belarus-games-150318

U19s: http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/15/england-u19s-squad-named-for-elite-round-trip-150318?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

For anyone interested in the England Youth Squads that are being announced

Both Foden and Sancho have been called up to the U19s which is a shame really, would like to see them pushed up, although am sure there will be plenty of time for both to make an impact on the England team

I personally think this is good why rush them like we have done over the years like with Walcott etc hyping them up when they are still only 17/18.

Play them at their age groups the same as the rest of europe
  • Red_James said:

Dier OxCham

Urrrrgh this is DREADFUL. But we don't have much choice
  • MrOneLung said:

why has Lookman only played 5 games for RBL ?

He started at the weekend but was taken off at half time. Personally i think Leipzig have much better attacking options.
  • Leuth said:

Red_James said:

Dier OxCham

Urrrrgh this is DREADFUL. But we don't have much choice
    Probably the best we have with their particular skill set's imo