Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stephen Hawking RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP. Was always on my dinner party list.
  • Options
    RIP hugely inspirational man, in so many respects
  • Options
    Showed what the human mind can do - so often we focus on what we can't do.

An amazing man. A true one-off.
  • Options
    A game changer if ever there was one. RIP Sir.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    Incredible man, the world will be a poorer place without him. A great memory for me was making him 'laugh' once, three or four years ago in his Cambridge office.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    We were blessed to have him for as long as we did.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Already commented but thought I would add that his fight against a debilitating disease, that should have killed him decades ago, proves that disability is not something that defines you and people should look beyond the obvious.
  • Options
    Absolute legend of Academia. Was lucky enough to sit in on one of his guest lectures when he visited my University a few years ago. Still remember him posing for selfies with about 300 undergrads on the Mile End Road on the way back up to Stepney Green tube station a couple of years back.
  • Options
    Great man.
  • Options
    A man with extraordinary courage and a brilliant and inspirational mind - RIP
  • Options
    I can't pretend to understand even a tenth of what he taught us, but he taught is to look up at the stars rather than down at our feet. Every time we stargaze we will see a reflection of him.
    Amazing amazing man, Man of courage and intellect. RIP.
  • Options
    cracks me up when the boxing glove on a spring comes out of his chair and punches skinner
  • Options
    On the importance of having a sense of humour: 'Life would be tragic if it weren't funny' - Interview in The New York Times, December 2004.

- On death: 'I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first' - Interview in The Guardian, May 2011.'

Intelligent, wise and modest.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

RIP

He's my former colleague and it goes without saying he's the smartest person I've ever - or will ever - work with.

Born on the anniversary of Galileo's death and died on the anniversary of Einstein's birth. Time is circular: it never ends.

Amazing, @Chizz - both that you worked with him and the appropriate coincidences of time.
  • Options
    RIP.

Some amazing quotes from him, I like this one:

"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A genius, a brave man and considering he was given 2 years to live at age 21, tough as old boots.

RIP.
  • Options
    Stephen Hawking will forever be remembered as a Genius mind but without the genius who invented the complex voice box, Stephen would have just been another disabled person without a voice. Nature gave him a rubbish body and a peerless, unrivalled brain. Thank you for the journey of a lifetime. RIP
  • Options
    For some reason, the quote comes to mind about dying twice - the first being when you physically pass away; the second being when your name is spoken for the last time.

I think Stephen Hawking will live on for a long, long time yet.

RIP.
  • Options
    Absolute top guy...was in the next room when i was at college 20 years ago giving a lecture, i wanted to ask him a question about vacuum technology problem that we had, but couldn't get near him...so knowledgeable and so genuine and generous with his time and wisdom....will be sadly missed.
  • Options
    RIP. A true genius, a great loss to science.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    RIP.

Stephen Hawking alongside Tariq Ali and Venessa Redgrave 50 years ago....

• Options
    edited March 2018
    micks1950 said:

RIP.

Stephen Hawking alongside Tariq Ali and Venessa Redgrave 50 years ago....

Whoops..

Just tweeted by Tariq Ali:

Tariq Ali
    @TariqAli_News

Tariq Ali Retweeted Luke Savage

THE MAN IN THE 1968 PIC IS NOT STEPHEN HAWKING
    Sad that Stephen Hawking has left us...he opposed the Vietnam war and Iraq. BUT he is not in the 1968 demo pic. Repeat NOT. An illiterate caption by the National Portrait Gallery has created this myth. Wish it was him but it isn't
  • Options
    Very sad but inevitable. A truly extraordinary human being, a genius who lived with and worked with Motor Neurone Disease for far longer than anyone could have expected. Not many people like him ever live, as you can tell I am a fan, RIP Professor you left the world a legacy that we can all benefit from.
  • Options
    Very sad. A very special inspirational man R.I.P.
  • Options
    RIP