Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More deaths of horses at Cheltenham Racecourse. Please sign a petition.

Comments

• iainment said:

Addickted said:

Still not had an answer to the question what is meant by 'meaningful action'.

Poorly worded, vague and with an obvious leading question with no substance as to the makeup or terms of reference of the 'independent regulatory body'.

@Anna_Kissed, I respect your right to not only educate people on the untimely deaths of racehorses but also your wish to abolish NH racing.

It is an honourable objective. Just please try not to do it in a dishonourable way.

Dishonourable? Please.

Petitions are a time honoured way to bring things of concern to parliament. It's lawful, peaceful and respectful.

In no way dishonourable.
    Cheeky might be a better word. We already have someone on this thread saying they'd sign then realising they weren't 100% sure of the terms of reference.

Ever tried riding a horse that doesn't want to do something? It certainly won't win any races.
  • Dishonourable
    - Having little or no integrity; unprincipled; disreputable.
    - Showing lack of honor or integrity; ignoble; base; disgraceful; shameful.

#musttryharder

It's not dishonourable, it's disingenuous, with all due respect.
  • JamesSeed said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

That could describe any political statement though couldn't it?

As with most things caveat emptor.
  • Dishonourable

#musttryharder

Ah, I see.

Criticising my description of the petition, yet still not answering the valid questions I've asked a response on.

• iainment said:

Addickted said:

Poorly worded, vague and with an obvious leading question with no substance as to the makeup or terms of reference of the 'independent regulatory body'.

@Anna_Kissed, I respect your right to not only educate people on the untimely deaths of racehorses but also your wish to abolish NH racing.

It is an honourable objective. Just please try not to do it in a dishonourable way.

Dishonourable? Please.

Petitions are a time honoured way to bring things of concern to parliament. It's lawful, peaceful and respectful.

In no way dishonourable.
    Not disagreeing with that in anyway whatsoever.

But what are the aims of this petition other than to construct an 'independent regulatory body'? Still not seen any terms of reference or suggestions as to whom would be on this regulatory body or the proposed meaningful action.

The petition statement is emotionally loaded, just like "The British Government is responsible for road safety. But 1,710 people died on British roads in 2016 due to motor vehicles. We urge the government to set up an independent regulatory body, with controlling motor vehicles as its only interest, which will take meaningful action to stop people dying".
  • Addickted said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

Ah, I see.

Criticising my description of the petition, yet still not answering the valid questions I've asked a response on.

why are you chasing for answers? if you don't want to sign the petition don't sign it! move on!
  • iainment said:

JamesSeed said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

That could describe any political statement though couldn't it?

As with most things caveat emptor.
    But we're discussing this petition they want us to sign. Saying politicians are disingenuous doesn't help really.

Could the meaningful action mentioned in '.....which will take meaningful action to stop horses dying' potentially include banning NH racing. Simple question.

I suspect @Anna_Kissed want to see NH racing banned, but just wish she'd lay her cards on the table.
  • Who said I don't want to sign it?

Indeed if effective measures can be put in place to reduce horses dying at race meetings, I will happily sign.
  • Addickted said:

Who said I don't want to sign it?

Indeed if effective measures can be put in place to reduce horses dying at race meetings, I will happily sign.

so start your own petition. you can word it exactly how you like then. I'll sign it!
  • Addickted said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

Ah, I see.

why are you chasing for answers? if you don't want to sign the petition don't sign it! move on!
    People don't like signing petitions without knowing what they are signing up to. It's fair to ask questions, because we'd all like to sign something that would improve horses' welfare, but some of us might not if we thought one of the outcomes might be an attempt to ban NH racing.

Start a petition saying 'NH racing results in the death of horses, so we call for it to be banned' if that's what people want. Nice and straightforward, nothing wrong with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Addickted said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

Ah, I see.

People don't like signing petitions without knowing what they are signing up to. It's fair to ask questions, because we'd all like to sign something that would improve horses' welfare, but some of us might not if we thought one of the outcomes might be an attempt to ban NH racing.

Start a petition saying 'NH racing results in the death of horses, so we call for it to be banned' if that's what people want. Nice and straightforward, nothing wrong with that.
    but if you have a little look at the website under the more info tab on the petition, I think it's pretty clear what they would like to achieve.
  • JamesSeed said:

Addickted said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

Ah, I see.

but if you have a little look at the website under the more info tab on the petition, I think it's pretty clear what they would like to achieve.
    Yep - done that.

Where does that website mention an independent regulatory body?
  • JamesSeed said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

I think that's the point @Anna_Kissed is making.

Someone else called it dishonourable.
  • Addickted said:

iainment said:

Addickted said:

Dishonourable? Please.

In no way dishonourable.
    Not disagreeing with that in anyway whatsoever.

But what are the aims of this petition other than to construct an 'independent regulatory body'? Still not seen any terms of reference or suggestions as to whom would be on this regulatory body or the proposed meaningful action.

The petition statement is emotionally loaded, just like "The British Government is responsible for road safety. But 1,710 people died on British roads in 2016 due to motor vehicles. We urge the government to set up an independent regulatory body, with controlling motor vehicles as its only interest, which will take meaningful action to stop people dying".
    I'd sign that. But as a cyclist you'd probably expect that!
  • Addickted said:

JamesSeed said:

Addickted said:

Dishonourable

#musttryharder

Ah, I see.

Yep - done that.

Where does that website mention an independent regulatory body?
    It doesn't, but I'm sure you gathered from whats on the website the organisations view on horse racing. It doesn't seem to give an overly balanced view (not a criticism BTW, that's their prerogative) and it seems clear that their ideal scenario would be for a ban to be implemented. That would lead me to think their intended long term aim for this petition is petty similar.

Just for the record I probably have a similar view to you on this, no to a ban but we should always be looking to ensure the care of the animals is of the highest standard. Just not sure we need to be so negative towards Anna_Kissed. I think the info is there if you look for it!

and as mentioned....you can always start your own petition in order to make a difference instead of being negative towards someone who could be bothered to.
  • But the info isn't there - which is why I posed the question, which still hasn't been answered.

I have no intention of starting a petition, I just want clarity on this one.
  • The difference between National Hunt racing and Flat racing is that horses jump hurdles and fences and that makes NH racing intrinsically more dangerous for horse and rider. All the courses have made great strides to reduce fatalities over the last 10 years by replacing railing with plastic railing and making the obstacles smaller and more flexible. As a result there are far less fatalities now than there used to be and as someone who goes to Cheltenham every year there are less fallers now than there used to be because horse and jockey safety is of paramount importance. Nevertheless, I'm sure that continual improvements can and will be made. Noone wants to see animals or humans hurt.
    For those who want to go further and would like to abolish NH racing , it is a ridiculous argument because the horses are exclusively bred for racing - the same is true in Flat racing and if racing didn't exist then the horses wouldn't exist either.
  • Anyway, the 3.30 is about to start......
  • 'Sandsend - DEAD'

Wouldn't even be in existence if it wasn't for the sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad fatality today but could just as easily have happened in its paddock at home.

Sad event but I don't see how it could have been prevented as it was on the run in to the post on the flat.
  • Around 5,000 foals are born in the UK each year

UK thoroughbred breeding is responsible for 10,000 jobs and £240 million per year to the UK economy

Im all for creating a safer racing environment for these horse but completely eradicating the sport will result in 5,000 less horses per year rather than 200 unfortunate deaths.
  • This is probably a stupid observation but if the horses have such a hatred of racing why do they continue after a fall until caught?

Running and jumping is natural behaviour for a horse surely?
  • Are there people coming onto this thread thinking it's the "national hunt racing should be banned" thread? If so, they're spectacularly missing the point.
  • Chizz said:

Are there people coming onto this thread thinking it's the "national hunt racing should be banned" thread? If so, they're spectacularly missing the point.

People asked for the OP to explain the petition as there is very little information in relation to what its trying to achieve.

The OP then went on to explain that they would ban horse racing altogether, so yes, its very much in relation to the thread.
  • Sandsend - DEAD. The third victim of this year's Cheltenham 'Festival'. RIP.

This appalling state of affairs must be stopped. Please sign the Animal Aid petition that seeks an independent regulatory body to oversee horse racing in the UK. As I write, nearly twenty thousand people have signed the petition.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211950

Dene Stansall, Animal Aid's Horse expert was interviewed on BBC Radio Wales this morning and said “Cheltenham is the worst, the most dangerous racecourse in the country”.

I was watching the race live. It was horrible.

However, as Peanuts notes, it was something that could very, very easily have happened at home. It was a freak incident where he was tanking along with all the vigour in the world, and hit a hole in the ground or something similar. Watching his leg after that was really REALLY horrible, absolutely.

I don't think Cheltenham is all that more dangerous than any other track - but it could do with a survey.

Blaming this particular death on the racing itself, however, falls wide of the mark.
  • LenGlover said:

This is probably a stupid observation but if the horses have such a hatred of racing why do they continue after a fall until caught?

Running and jumping is natural behaviour for a horse surely?

One doing it right now in the Foxhunters Len - having a whale of a time.