Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

International Break - March 2018

Comments

• Options
    Shows why VAR can be effective.

Obviously people are upset because it's against England but that was a clear penalty that would not have been given if not for VAR.
  • Options
    Commentators arguing there was no intent from Tarkowski... sorry what? Doesn't stop it being a foul lol...
  • Options
    Have they got VAR at the world cup?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Have they got VAR at the world cup?

Yes.
  • Options
    You stand on someone's foot, you concede a foul. Whether you meant to do it or not.
  • Options
    Needs communication from the ref/VAR ref like in rugby or cricket about what they’re looking at.

My Twitter timeline is split 50/50 about whether or not that was a penalty. Ultimately it is still someone’s opinion.
  • Options
    Can’t wait for 7-7 draws and 27 minutes of injury time lol
  • Options
    If it was such a clear penalty why did the ref need to review it first? It was soft.
  • Options
    That was never a clear penalty (personally I don't think it was one at all).

I'm for VAR but like in cricket it needs to be for black and white wrong decisions/obvious mistakes. Things like that should be "ref's call" and stay how it was given.
  • Options

If it was such a clear penalty why did the ref need to review it first? It was soft.

View was blocked? Pretty simple
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whats frustrating about VAR is with a different Referee, that incident will have been pointed out yet the ref would have declined the chance to review
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I'm for VAR but like in cricket it needs to be for black and white wrong decisions/obvious mistakes. Things like that should be "ref's call" and stay how it was given.

But it was the ref's call to change his own decision after seeing the footage? It's not as if there is hawkeye telling him what decision to make.
  • Options

It can be as soft as you like but it's still a foul.
  • Options

You stand on someone's foot, you concede a foul. Whether you meant to do it or not.

He was already half falling over and the ball had gone, before a slight coming together. Never a foul.
  • Options
    I'm going to place a max bet on over 2.5 goals in every game in the world cup if penalties are going to be given for that
  • Options

But it was the ref's call to change his own decision after seeing the footage? It's not as if there is hawkeye telling him what decision to make.
    Was it? He gave a corner.
  • Options
    By the way I say it was a soft decision even though I have something to gain as I had both teams to score and a draw in a bet... !
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Italian player goes to kick the ball and gets his foot stood on as he's about to kick it....not a penalty?

Some people wouldn't want a penalty given until a player is being fly kicked in the chest.
  • Options
    Watched the England game on TV. Wasn,t a bad game and a perfectly good way to pass the evening.

But the thought going through my head is what on earth possesses 80000 people to pay good money to actually go and watch this given a friendly is never going to be a rip-roaring game and the problems of getting away from Wembley?
  • Options

Yes. The referee gave a corner at first. Then went and looked at the footage himself and decided himself that it was actually a penalty. No-one told him to make the decision he made.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

He gave a corner and got a call from the Video Ref suggesting he take a look at the incident

Italy players themselves were busy calling for a corner rather than a penalty.
  • Options

He was already half falling over and the ball had gone, before a slight coming together. Never a foul.
    Exactly, Tarkowski didn’t even change his stride and Chiesa was already going down and extended his leg.

This means that any coming together, regardless of the position of the ball or player means it’s a foul.
  • Options
    It was a pen all day long!
    VAR got it right.
  • Options

I mean ref's call as per 'umpire's call', i.e. as it means in cricket - sticking with the original call.

It needs to be used for glaring mistakes - the Hand of God, Henry's handball, Schumacher taking out Battiston, 3 yards offside goals, that sort of thing. Otherwise we'll have refs watching replays ten times to change their mind on pretty 50/50 decisions.
  • Options
    People here would be livid if they didn't use VAR to give us that penalty.
  • Options
    If that's a Charlton player in the box against Millwall with a few minutes to equalise...that's a pen all day long for everyone.

We'd still lose though.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to watch what happened...

• Options

Italian player goes to kick the ball and gets his foot stood on as he's about to kick it....not a penalty?

Some people wouldn't want a penalty given until a player it being fly kicked in the chest.
    Was he about to kick it? Not in my opinion, he'd lost it and was already falling/slowing down hence Tarkowski running into him.
  • Options

Haha... look at their No.20 gesturing to the ref, even he's pointing for a corner, nods and walks away in agreement when the ref signals for that
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Never a pen.

And definitely not a 'clear and obvious error'.