Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New manager - who would you want (hypothetically)

Comments

• Options
    Someone with a proven record of amazing success at this level and at getting that same team within one win of the play offs in the Championship, so it has to be Chris Powell for me.
  • Options

Someone with a proven record of amazing success at this level and at getting that same team within one win of the play offs in the Championship, so it has to be Chris Powell for me.

I hope not. Never go back

• Options
    Michael Vaughan
  • Options
    What about Mark Bowen?

Been around a bit as assistant to Mark Hughes.

Downside is that some assistants don't make the step up to manager.
  • Options

Neal Ardley
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Nathan Jones
    Jason Euell
    JJ

Powell above them all but thinking he will not leave Southend so soon.

Swap JJ for Dan Cowley and that’s a pretty solid list of better managers than Karl Robinson
  • Options
    Antony Popovic ... the new Aussie owners might have Tony lined up. Not ideal with his nigel connection but has some form. In Turkey at present.
  • Options

Antony Popovic ... the new Aussie owners might have Tony lined up. Not ideal with his nigel connection but has some form. In Turkey at present.

Just so long as it isnt Kevin Muscat!!
  • Options
    SCP
  • Options
    Agree with Nathan Jones, I think he will stay at Luton though if/when they go up.

Hurst could be tempted from Shrewsbury if we are in the same league. Other than that not sure, Dan Cowley possibly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's an old name now and wouldnt ever want him to leave Exeter yet Paul Tisdale would be a good option
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Well it doesn't matter who we go for as we can get rid quite quickly if we decide we don't like them. It's the new Charlton way, as introduced by Roland, and supported here.

Nothing is stopping you following your hero to his next club and supporting them - although after the abysmal job he’s done here it mught be a long wait.
  • Options
    Robinson has his issues certainly but you can’t polish a turd and he came to a turd of a club.
  • Options
    Paolo DiCanio
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs
  • Options

Cory Gibbs

assisted by Omar Pouso
  • Options
    Please feel free to close this thread as obviously most of you haven't even read my opening post.

I was asking which past player would be a decent manager, seeing as our best managers over the past 25 years have been Curbs & SCP. So where the names such as Neil Harris, Warnock, Tisdale, Nathan Jones etc etc come into it I don't know.

I don't mind threads going off topic, but at least start by naming someone who actually played for us ffs !!!

(my main reason for starting this post was to ask how would you react to Scotty Parker managing us...........would he get pelters ??? )
  • Options
    Who would I want?

Someone who knows what they are fucking doing!
  • Options
    Bring back Roger fu**ing Johnson as player manager.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

Well it doesn't matter who we go for as we can get rid quite quickly if we decide we don't like them. It's the new Charlton way, as introduced by Roland, and supported here.

Nothing is stopping you following your hero to his next club and supporting them - although after the abysmal job he’s done here it mught be a long wait.
    He's not my hero, and if we don't even make the playoffs he has to go, whatever the restrictions Duchatelet has placed on him.
    But I don't like endlessly sacking managers under what is a rotten regime, and I don't like the hysteria that can we whipped up here @Oakster . I'm entitled to express my probably misguided opinion without the likes of you jumping on the bandwagon, ta very much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Robinson has his issues certainly but you can’t polish a turd and he came to a turd of a club.

Well said. Take note @Oakster
  • Options

Please feel free to close this thread as obviously most of you haven't even read my opening post.

I was asking which past player would be a decent manager, seeing as our best managers over the past 25 years have been Curbs & SCP. So where the names such as Neil Harris, Warnock, Tisdale, Nathan Jones etc etc come into it I don't know.

I don't mind threads going off topic, but at least start by naming someone who actually played for us ffs !!!

(my main reason for starting this post was to ask how would you react to Scotty Parker managing us...........would he get pelters ??? )

Scotty Parker

• Options
    William Shatner
  • Options

Neil Harris would be a good appointment if he was ready for a move to a bigger club.

He wouldn’t be moving to palace, he’d be moving to us.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

William Shatner

imageD
  • Options
    Mickey Flanagan assisted by Keith Peacock. Well maybe once upon a time that could have worked.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Oakster said:

JamesSeed said:

He's not my hero, and if we don't even make the playoffs he has to go, whatever the restrictions Duchatelet has placed on him.
    But I don't like endlessly sacking managers under what is a rotten regime, and I don't like the hysteria that can we whipped up here @Oakster . I'm entitled to express my probably misguided opinion without the likes of you jumping on the bandwagon, ta very much.
    I think the only hysterical thing here is your reaction.

If you can't see that many of us are sick of the regime, sick of regime apologists (see day one in this job) like Robinson & just wanting a clean break from the whole rotten lot - then you have only been supporting us for a very a short time (which if I recall is true).

I know you are well intentioned, but you don't get the bigger picture - Robinson is mediocre & mediocrity is the hallmark of Duchatalatet & his cronies since day one - some accept it & even seem to enjoy it - thankfully many oppose & refuse to accept that we can sink to this level without some sort of fight back.

(There after being in Netaddicks & Charlton Life since day one - i am finally getting close to making an appearance on the argument thread)
  • Options

Oh, in that case then obviously Loic Nego
  • Options
    Steve Evans seems to be that most challenging combination of thoroughly dislikable, flagrantly self-serving and terrifically effective at this level. But I don't think his kind of quick fix would be more than a sticking plaster over Charlton's gaping axe wound.
    Who replaces the FSG is less important than the incumbent manager/head coach/whateverbolloxisinvoguethisweek having a coherent coaching structure supported by an adequately funded scouting and recruitment policy staffed by a considered, experienced team. The success of Chris Powell's first full season and similarly of the bulk of Curbishley's reign were all underpinned by structure and planning.
    It's gonna take a sight more than A.N. Other 3rd division wundermanager to arrest Charlton's slide and set the team back on an upward trajectory. The new owner(s) will need resources and patience as well as the right first team coaching and management personnel.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Steve Evans seems to be that most challenging combination of thoroughly dislikable, flagrantly self-serving and terrifically effective at this level. But I don't think his kind of quick fix would be more than a sticking plaster over Charlton's gaping axe wound.
    Who replaces the FSG is less important than the incumbent manager/head coach/whateverbolloxisinvoguethisweek having a coherent coaching structure supported by an adequately funded scouting and recruitment policy staffed by a considered, experienced team. The success of Chris Powell's first full season and similarly of the bulk of Curbishley's reign were all underpinned by structure and planning.
    It's gonna take a sight more than A.N. Other 3rd division wundermanager to arrest Charlton's slide and set the team back on an upward trajectory. The new owner(s) will need resources and patience as well as the right first team coaching and management personnel.

golfie's going to be mad - not only did you (and more obviously me) not read his opening post, but you haven't read his follow up!!