Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New manager - who would you want (hypothetically)

Comments

• Options

New owner, new ambition, New money. Graham Potter from Ostersunds. Well documented that he took the club from Swedish Fourth division to European football in 6 years. Has a university degree in social sciences and a master's in leadership and emotional intelligence. I would double his money and pay all the expenses of moving his family back to the UK. A 5 year contract with the remit of being an established Championship side at the end of this period. He would be a manager with carte blanche to restore Cafc to a professional well run football club not a comedy club. Head and shoulders above any other candidates.

As good a shout as any but still a gamble.

• Options

New owner, new ambition, New money. Graham Potter from Ostersunds. Well documented that he took the club from Swedish Fourth division to European football in 6 years. Has a university degree in social sciences and a master's in leadership and emotional intelligence. I would double his money and pay all the expenses of moving his family back to the UK. A 5 year contract with the remit of being an established Championship side at the end of this period. He would be a manager with carte blanche to restore Cafc to a professional well run football club not a comedy club. Head and shoulders above any other candidates.

This is the kind of suggestion we need.
  • Options
    Nathan
    Derek Adams (Plymouth manager).
  • Options
    No shouts for John Coleman? Just took Accrington top of league 2 beating Luton away. I can't see us getting a manager like Alex Neil unfortunately, we don't have the draw power to get a manager to step down a level. If Karl goes we are looking at every manager at league 1 level 11th downwards, maybe the Shrewsbury manager if they fail promotion and then league 2 after that.

I can't really think of many managers I would want to be honest, Nigel Clough may be a shout? If you look where they are in the table clubs have had far worse points to games on a bigger budget than them.

• Options
    Paul Hurst
  • Options
    edited March 2018

More a gamble for him than CAFC. Would be a challenge to jettison all the excess baggage of negatively that has accrued under Duchatelet's tenure.
  • Options

New owner, new ambition, New money. Graham Potter from

More a gamble for him than CAFC. Would be a challenge to jettison all the excess baggage of negatively that has accrued under Duchatelet's tenure.
    I think we need Harry Potter to sort this mess out.
  • Options

Thank you for doing that, but in future please use the officially sanctioned photo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All i'd hope for is someone that isn't willing to play Magennis
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Nathan Jones
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Dan Cowley
    Andy Hughes

Someone from that Group would do for me

But Dan Cowley hasn't played the game at a senior level @ForeverAddickted ...,........He doesn't prefer a 4-2-3-1 formation as well does he? .............Actually he's one of the more acceptable exceptions for me before all the defenders of Managers and Coaches, who never made it as a pro, go on the attack.
    :wink:
    Nah but he was a PE Teacher so hopefully will give Detentions to the Players when we lose
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    JJ all day long.

Could be the perfect opportunity as well
    now the season is heading for its annual dead rubber phase.

Inexperienced? So what. Powell was inexperienced. Look at Eddie Howe. Look at Garry Monk. They all started at a relatively young age.
    JJ knows what this club is all about. He's been here for some fleeting good times and the numerous bad ones.
  • Options
    Jesus - according to the internet and several books he performed miracles.

P.s Powell learned from Sven Goran Eriksson, JJ has learned from Robinson.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Powell will also have learnt from those that he played under meaning that Jackson has also probably learnt from Powell and Parkinson.

It wont also just be those at the clubs the coaches learn from, yet also whilst doing their coaching badges they'll probably be getting lectures from the top coaches etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Appointments of club favourites with no experience do sometimes work. Charlton have been lucky twice with Curbs and later with Sir Chris. There are examples elsewhere too. Harris at Millwall is doing a very decent job. On the whole though I think it’s a fall back position for a club that can’t afford or attract a decent alternative and use it to get the fans onside.

We will I’m sure start next season with new owners and my first best choice would be to back Robinson over the summer and give him a decent run at it. As much as anything else much will depend on the wealth and ambition of any new owners. If they have real money to spend they might have their own ideas on who they want spending it. If it’s just a cunning plan they have then we just have to wait and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Neil Harris has partly worked because he worked through the ranks at Millwall... In that case Jason Euell would be ideal.
  • Options
    Why would Nathan Jones leave Luton for CAFC? Both teams are more than likely be playing in the same division next season. He has built a squad at Luton with a few tweaks could be pushing for promotion next season to the Championship. If he came to CAFC he would have to build a new team in 2 months as the transfer window shuts at the start of the season.
  • Options

Jamie Carragher

Or perhaps Sol Campbell?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Why would Nathan Jones leave Luton for CAFC? Both teams are more than likely be playing in the same division next season. He has built a squad at Luton with a few tweaks could be pushing for promotion next season to the Championship. If he came to CAFC he would have to build a new team in 2 months as the transfer window shuts at the start of the season.

Depends how far Nathan thinks he can take Luton

He'll know the potential of Charlton and the facilities that we've got, if he's hired once the takeover is complete and likes the vision of where those new owners want to take us then it should be a lot further than Luton.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

The only thing that Chris learnt from Eriksson was how to chat up the ladies, as he did fuck all coaching. Poor JJ hasn't only had Robbo in his ear but Big Bob, smoothie Riga, winker Fraeye, Luzon the Israeli jack in the box and baldy Slade who stood with his arms folded or scrathing his balls. JJ would have to have a detox.
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

Depends how far Nathan thinks he can take Luton

He'll know the potential of Charlton and the facilities that we've got, if he's hired once the takeover is complete and likes the vision of where those new owners want to take us then it should be a lot further than Luton.
    Not ignoring a decent finanacial inducement to swap jobs, after all money talks.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Neil Harris has partly worked because he worked through the ranks at Millwall... In that case Jason Euell would be ideal.

It’s worked because he understands the club, the fans and the expectations.

He hasn’t and won’t have the resources to play the way he’d probably like so he’s a pragmatist and gets the players at his disposal to play to their strengths. He gets the fans onside by demanding of his players 100% commitment. The fans don’t either expect or demand a team challenging for Premiership football. They do demand that players run till they drop.

Where our two clubs differ is the complete opposite of the above.

Edit : They are also complete knobs.

• Options
    Well it doesn't matter who we go for as we can get rid quite quickly if we decide we don't like them. It's the new Charlton way, as introduced by Roland, and supported here.
  • Options
    neil warnock, tony pullis or sam allardyce but we won't get those - next - kenny jackett or mick mcarthay - the last one a definite possibility - stuff the frilly football - lets get back to being a solid team, hard to beat, and most importantly, winners
  • Options

It’s worked because he understands the club, the fans and the expectations.

He hasn’t and won’t have the resources to play the way he’d probably like so he’s a pragmatist and gets the players at his disposal to play to their strengths. He gets the fans onside by demanding of his players 100% commitment. The fans don’t either expect or demand a team challenging for Premiership football. They do demand that players run till they drop.

Where our two clubs differ is the complete opposite of the above.

Edit : They are also complete knobs.

Also helps that he's not got a lot of money so has to rely on youngsters that he's worked with before

I always thought that Roland should have hired Euell for his purposes of bringing youth through and then selling them on - Euell having worked with the kids will know who is ready etc, not to mention the fact he works closely with Avory and Baltacha means he'll be able to trust their judgement too.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

New owner, new ambition, New money. Graham Potter from

I think we need Harry Potter to sort this mess out.
    Since Minerva Meire McGonagall got on her broomstick to Wednesday and when this impasse is over and Dumbledore Duchatelet has vanished into his Belgium bunker I feel we could have a good spell under Graham Potter.
  • Options
    There are parallels between Euell and Harris in as much as Harris like Euell was quoted as saying that he didn’t want the job when first considered.

Millwall had gone through a lot of managers when Harris was appointed and the fans needed to be placated and brought onside. Berylson was smart enough to know that certainly in the short term Harris would be supported and popular. Luckily for them it looks like so far it’s worked out. As soon as the bubble bursts and Millwall have a bad season the fans will turn as they always do.

I doubt Harris is a good enough coach to mastermind Millwall a Premier League place ( God forbid) but that’s not what it’s about down there.

Personally I believe that should Robinson get replaced and we seriously consider either Jackson or Euell then as far as I’m concerned all it will mean is that the new owners have no real plan or ambition other than to survive.