Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friend's son attacked (ed. general Saff London chat).

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:

Deptford is worse, but fuck it. The way coppers are pulled off the street and seconded into taskforces and offices it's a wonder anyone from the 50 is visible post 10pm these days.

Deptford is not worse than Peckham!

Lots of decent pubs in Deptford have sprung up over the past couple of years. Likewise in Peckham to a lesser extent, The Rye after the refurbishment has become a great pub. Never felt unsafe there myself, unfortunately fights happen outside McDonald's everywhere.

I hope your mate's son gets better Algarve.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

hopefully they catch the wankers that done it, unfortunately now its not safe to be out in certain areas past 11 at night, quite sad really.

@kentaddick care to elaborate on the lol?
    I think it’s laughable that you think you can’t go out past 11 but hey ho.

Hope the culprits get caught.
    would you venture out in Peckham at midnight?, as that's where the crime took place - i personally wouldn't but that shouldn't be the case.
    I cannot believe Peckham or Brixton are as bad as they were in the early 80s - back then I ran a group of betting shops in those areas and used to drink regularly in what were considered no-go areas. I never felt unsafe, but I did know a lot of locals so perhaps that helped.

They’re not, they’re getting gentrified, Brixton especially. Peckham still has a bit of a weird divide, white yummy mummy types sitting in the cafes whilst Nigerian background working class people working in the market stalls etc and seem to exist independently from each other but in the same place. And hipsters as well.
    Loafers, no socks brigade no doubt. It’s been 30 years since I regularly drank in Peckham, and if the fecking hipsters are there it will be another 30 years (I wish).

I moved to Peckham in November. I’m right by the rye and rye lane. Not surprised to read of this and hope the lad is okay @Algarveaddick

I grew up down the road in Brockley and have known from an early age they’re are some proper c*** knockin about the area such as the two attackers

Growing up in and around the area doesn’t make what happened to the victim any less likely to happen to me, but you hopefully pick up to avoid conflict from an early age. Sounds like wrong place wrong time and unfortunately scum bags like this hunt in packs and given it might be in their neck of the woods they probably felt safe in numbers etc as they probably know a lot of people

In all my time living in this part of the world and that’s 36 years now, I’ve never felt unsafe. Hopefully will continue that way

Re: the mix of the area kentaddick has it right. Everywhere in London has become gentrified now because of the price of property. We haven’t quite got the loafers and no socks brigade, but we have got the top knots and mental alternative creative types of about 25 who probably grew up in the leafy parts of the U.K. and to me I do chuckle when I hear their accents in the pub

Yes unfortunately we have the yummy mummy brigade as well who in a million years won’t even fathom what it’s been like for some of the natives who have grown up in the rougher parts. Winds me up a tad to be fair. They wander round obliviously. My old landlords, the chap who worked for google and the woman was itv and have now moved from Brockley to the chilterns, actually called out a poncy Japanese restaurant on lordship Lane as being too gentrified and attracting yummy mummies etc. I couldn’t believe it. Pot kettle and all that

They talked to me about the wickham arms round the back of Brockley and said ‘oh what a traditional pub’

I thought, there’s no way you would’ve been seen dead in here 20 years back
    I considered moving to Peckham last year, spent the day wandering round and just found it weird that unlike some areas of London that used to be shitholes that are now really mixed and integrated, Peckham just seemed like 2 completely different worlds operating as if the other didn’t exist. Just made me feel uncomfortable and part of the problem being there. Decent for a night out though.
  • Options

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

hopefully they catch the wankers that done it, unfortunately now its not safe to be out in certain areas past 11 at night, quite sad really.

would you venture out in Peckham at midnight?, as that's where the crime took place - i personally wouldn't but that shouldn't be the case.
    I cannot believe Peckham or Brixton are as bad as they were in the early 80s - back then I ran a group of betting shops in those areas and used to drink regularly in what were considered no-go areas. I never felt unsafe, but I did know a lot of locals so perhaps that helped.

They’re not, they’re getting gentrified, Brixton especially. Peckham still has a bit of a weird divide, white yummy mummy types sitting in the cafes whilst Nigerian background working class people working in the market stalls etc and seem to exist independently from each other but in the same place. And hipsters as well.
    Loafers, no socks brigade no doubt. It’s been 30 years since I regularly drank in Peckham, and if the fecking hipsters are there it will be another 30 years (I wish).

I moved to Peckham in November. I’m right by the rye and rye lane. Not surprised to read of this and hope the lad is okay @Algarveaddick

I grew up down the road in Brockley and have known from an early age they’re are some proper c*** knockin about the area such as the two attackers

Growing up in and around the area doesn’t make what happened to the victim any less likely to happen to me, but you hopefully pick up to avoid conflict from an early age. Sounds like wrong place wrong time and unfortunately scum bags like this hunt in packs and given it might be in their neck of the woods they probably felt safe in numbers etc as they probably know a lot of people

In all my time living in this part of the world and that’s 36 years now, I’ve never felt unsafe. Hopefully will continue that way

Re: the mix of the area kentaddick has it right. Everywhere in London has become gentrified now because of the price of property. We haven’t quite got the loafers and no socks brigade, but we have got the top knots and mental alternative creative types of about 25 who probably grew up in the leafy parts of the U.K. and to me I do chuckle when I hear their accents in the pub

Yes unfortunately we have the yummy mummy brigade as well who in a million years won’t even fathom what it’s been like for some of the natives who have grown up in the rougher parts. Winds me up a tad to be fair. They wander round obliviously. My old landlords, the chap who worked for google and the woman was itv and have now moved from Brockley to the chilterns, actually called out a poncy Japanese restaurant on lordship Lane as being too gentrified and attracting yummy mummies etc. I couldn’t believe it. Pot kettle and all that

They talked to me about the wickham arms round the back of Brockley and said ‘oh what a traditional pub’

I considered moving to Peckham last year, spent the day wandering round and just found it weird that unlike some areas of London that used to be shitholes that are now really mixed and integrated, Peckham just seemed like 2 completely different worlds operating as if the other didn’t exist. Just made me feel uncomfortable and part of the problem being there. Decent for a night out though.
    It’s not too bad to be honest mate but then where one person would want to live versus a decent night out is entirely personal preference. I get what you mean about the dichotomy of the high street versus the gentrification, but for me I don’t really notice it because I’ve always grown up round these parts.
  • Options
    I've only ever been attacked once and that was on a train at peckham rye station brave men 3 black lads, got a busted open eyebrow which is visible now through scaring - basically got on the train a Saturday afternoon 3.30ish pm, took a paper out of my bag and a "spotter" must of seen an ipad in there - company issue but this was about 5/6 years ago so was pretty modern tech at the time, they snatched my bag off me i grabbed it then got a few digs, and then they pulled a knife out and so i thought sod the fighting back. so there's my reasons for not being suprised it happened in peckham of course the youths that done it in my book should get a right kicking but probably the lack of "things" to do/government funding is the reason in modern society.
  • Options

I live on Rye Lane, about 200 yards from where this crime took place, and I have never had a problem which is astonishing given the state I manage to get myself into most Friday nights at the local pubs and bars (which are the best in SE London by a country mile)!

Really terrible what happened to Algarve's friends son, hope they catch the scumbags and throw the book,
  • Options
    I don't know anything about the circumstances other than what is contained in the newspaper report. It doesn't mention racial motives, but to answer Rob's question, he is mixed race (Asian/White British). Thanks for the good wishes, I'll pass them on.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I take it you do not drink in the Rye Hotel then, it is my local and a good place.
  • Options

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

My wife and I often comment on this, it's very strange.
  • Options
    My story of getting beaten up in Peckham happend 30 years ago now. On my way to work at Peckham Rye station, got into a fight with 6 teenagers from Red Post Hill school. I think they were just looking for trouble for the sake of it. It seems that some of them might have been involved in a number of attacks on public transport at that time. And yes I lost the fight eneded up bruised head to toe, but did strip the shirt and jumper of the back of one of the bastards.
  • Options
    find the f..... and stop arguing....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I take it you do not drink in the Rye Hotel then, it is my local and a good place.
    Never been there. The Rye is right near to where I live. After that I’ve tried the Victoria inn, the Montpellier and places like John the unicorn (that name for a pub says it all imo re: gentrification) :smile:
  • Options
    cabbles said:

msomerton said:

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Never been there. The Rye is right near to where I live. After that I’ve tried the Victoria inn, the Montpellier and places like John the unicorn (that name for a pub says it all imo re: gentrification) :smile:
    John the unicorn was the one I was trying to think of last night. They also own the vilely named Job Centre in Deptford, which I have avoided since it opened but ended up in there last weekend.

Good points about the 2 worlds living together. There's vegan cafes (poncy types not like the excellent buffet in Soho that shut down) and cyclist coffee shops near poundshops and Halal butchers. The new Deptford Market thing by the station has cocktail bars and a cheese sandwich shop (£5 for a cheese sandwich). Gentrification eh.
  • Options
    Not done the Nags head yet, not done the Victoria inn, Montpellier ok and Join the Unicorn has good craft beer but is very young for me.
  • Options
    @Algarveaddick i hope the lad is ok, when i got beaten up they thought i'd broken my jaw but got away with severe bruising. That was painful enough and lasted weeks, so i really feel for him. Events like that can really knock your confidence, and I hope it doesn't his. My dentist (i also broke some teeth) at the time told me to seek damages from the criminal injury compensation board - i didn't (stupidly) but it is something that he should look at, the physical and mental injuries may last longer than he thinks and he may need the cash for support.

I have shared the story with a couple of mates that live in Peckham, sadly i don't think they will have any info as they are part of the 'Bellenden village' set so are a bit insulated.
  • Options
    Bellend en Village ? Really ?
  • Options
    msomerton said:

Not done the Nags head yet, not done the Victoria inn, Montpellier ok and Join the Unicorn has good craft beer but is very young for me.

Nags Head is terrible. Victoria Inn, John the Unicorn, Montpellier, the Hope and the White Horse are all good as are the Prince of Peckham and (depending on how much hipster you can handle) Rye Wax and Batch Bar are good fun.
  • Options

Bellend en Village ? Really ?

Indeed. Very aptly named it is, too.
    That’s the gentrified part, well and truly :wink:
  • Options

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Peckham just seemed like 2 completely different worlds operating as if the other didn’t exist.
    Ditto Brixton, Clapton, Walthamstow etc and now Woolwich.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Peckham just seemed like 2 completely different worlds operating as if the other didn’t exist.
    Always found Brixton to be alright in that respect. I don’t think it will get *much* more gentrified to the extent shoreditch is now, which I think is what locals worried originally. Still got a good vibe along with the hipster pop ups and yummy mummy cafes in Brixton “village” and the markets on electric avenue all within a hundred metres of each other. Peckham was like “this end is working class black, this end is white middle class”, which I found uncomfortable. Couldn’t comment on the other areas as I don’t venture east too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would say that Peckham is no more violent than any other area of London, there are unfortunatly scum to be found all over the country. I hope the lad recovers quickly and is not put off going to rye lane for too long. After my trouble many years ago it took me about 6months to use Peckham rye station again, natural nerves but in the end you do overcome them with help.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I wonder how much of this reflects our own prejudices - all are just working families trying to do the best for themselves and their kids,

Perhaps the flipside of this phenomenon is my observation that several areas of outer London (Zones 4/5/6) which used to be very safe leafy suburbs are now increasingly 'un-gentrifying' (in North London which I know best, I'd point to Barnet, Southgate, Enfield, Edgware etc.) as people who can afford to move out to towns/villages outside London (they're already halfway there after all).
  • Options

Brixton was an absolute khazi

Remember coming out the fridge at 6am and crossing the road to the station and an Islamic preacher was out in the street with his prayer matt, he looked me straight in the eye and hissed like a wild angry cat. Think it’s the most I’ve ever shit myself.

Could have been the really good drugs tho.

haha had a similar experience after brixton mass one time, again could of been a chemically enhanced vision
  • Options

Remember coming out the fridge at 6am and crossing the road to the station and an Islamic preacher was out in the street with his prayer matt, he looked me straight in the eye and hissed like a wild angry cat. Think it’s the most I’ve ever shit myself.

haha had a similar experience after brixton mass one time, again could of been a chemically enhanced vision
    I’m wondering if there’s a ‘Has anybody taken hard drugs?’ thread.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

I’m wondering if there’s a ‘Has anybody taken hard drugs?’ thread.
    Depends what you define as hard drugs...
  • Options
    I think possibly the pictures and the text are not aligned!