Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lincoln

Going to Lincoln for the day in a few weeks.
Any recommendations as to what to see.
It's with a real ale club so I won't need pub info!

Comments

• edited March 2018
    The cathedral is the best in the country in my opinion. The castle is opposite and all at the top of cobbled "Steep Hill". They aren't kidding! But a couple of great pubs up there. In the newer part of town the River Witham runs through town into B..something pool. A nice town. Take a trip down the A671 towards Navenby. It's where I was brought up so well worth a visit. But seriously a pretty village and there's a lovely walk for a few miles along the top of the escarpment towards Boothby Graffoe, Coleby and Harmston where the 8 Bells will see you right for the walk back to The Kings Head for dinner.
  • The cathedral is the best in the country in my opinion. The castle is opposite and all at the top of cobbled "Steep Hill". They aren't kidding! But a couple of great pubs up there. In the newer part of town the River Witham runs through town into B..something pool. A nice town. Take a trip down the A671 towards Navenby. It's where I was brought up so well worth a visit. But seriously a pretty village and there's a lovely walk for a few miles along the top of the escarpment towards Boothby Graffoe, Coleby and Harmston where the 8 Bells will see you right for the walk back to The Kings Head for dinner.

Thanks.
  • Best pub without doubt is the strugglers inn, which is close to the castle. Loads of real ales at sensible prices. Great cheap pies also. Eccentric landlady though, great one minute, wants to bar you the next. Round the corner i think the pub is called the Victoria arms which also does great ale.

Be aware if your staying in central Lincoln, there is a steep climb to find these places.
  • Victoria is a great place to eat if you like Pork Pies.
  • If you're interested in this sort of stuff, the RAF Memorial Flight is based just a few miles outside Lincoln at RAF Coningsby. https://lincolnshire.gov.uk/heritage-and-tourism/battle-of-britain-memorial-flight/plan-your-visit/46339.article

A working military base though, so guided tours only and some time restrictions.

Last time we were in Lincoln, as we were walking round the castle walls, we were lucky enough to get a freebie fly-past from the Lancaster bomber. Glorious sight!
  • Rolys Fudge Pantry on Steep Hill is fantastic.
  • You can take a drive north on the A15 (Ermine Street), Britain's straightest road. The only bend is a recent introduction from when they extended the runway at RAF Scampton - onetime base of The Dambusters and now home of The Red Arrows.

Whoahhhhhh
  • Sponsored links:

He’s making a fudge of things up there now as well.
  • There is also a great restaurant near the top of the hill called Brown's, great pies... But i think Lincs addick said it may have been sold. Hopefully kept the name and standard. Sounds like there will be not enough hours in the day.
  • I was supposed to go there this week, but work cancelled so might be in a few weeks/ month now. I don't really know i was just scouting for local bars etc. Going with 3 others and work putting us up so will get the dating site apps out and see whats about for the eve :P
  • Just looking at house prices up there, you get a lot of bang for your buck
  • Or you could bring your wellies and a shovel and help dig a few feet of the new eastern bypass....a long awaited Carillion project that has virtually ground to halt!
    The castle, cathedral, pubs and a restaurant or two in the cathedral quarter may well keep you occupied for the entire day......and will send you home more than happy.
    Lincolnshire's love of The RAF is deeply entrenched in the culture, as
    are pies and sausage rolls etc, the competitions and choice is huge.
    Oh and be warned. Steep Hill isn't called that for nowt!
  • I have been there a long time ago and remember the hill and a pub called the Mitre.
    It's a real ale society day trip so there will be pub stuff covered.
    I'm looking forward to the cathedral, the castle and the Roman stuff.
    Thanks all for your input.
  • Forget the castle. Head straight to the strugglers.
  • The cathedral is the best in the country in my opinion. The castle is opposite and all at the top of cobbled "Steep Hill". They aren't kidding! But a couple of great pubs up there. In the newer part of town the River Witham runs through town into B..something pool. A nice town. Take a trip down the A671 towards Navenby. It's where I was brought up so well worth a visit. But seriously a pretty village and there's a lovely walk for a few miles along the top of the escarpment towards Boothby Graffoe, Coleby and Harmston where the 8 Bells will see you right for the walk back to The Kings Head for dinner.

Brayford
  • ross1 said:

The cathedral is the best in the country in my opinion. The castle is opposite and all at the top of cobbled "Steep Hill". They aren't kidding! But a couple of great pubs up there. In the newer part of town the River Witham runs through town into B..something pool. A nice town. Take a trip down the A671 towards Navenby. It's where I was brought up so well worth a visit. But seriously a pretty village and there's a lovely walk for a few miles along the top of the escarpment towards Boothby Graffoe, Coleby and Harmston where the 8 Bells will see you right for the walk back to The Kings Head for dinner.

Brayford
    That's it!
  • Just looking at house prices up there, you get a lot of bang for your buck

You do. A mate of mine moved there last year and my brother-in-law is planning on following (Lincolnshire). Looks amongst the cheapest places in England that isn't an obvious hovel.