Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prostate cancer

2»

Comments

• Options

Got myself tested today, test took a few minutes plus a 20 minute wait.

Will get the results in a few days time. I hope it's clear, obviously, but if not then still better to know.

Thanks to @Tracey and everyone else involved in the campaigning who made me, a man in his 50s with family history of the condition but no symptons, get it done.

Good man, Henners.

I'm sure (hope) your tests will be clear but, as we are being educated to understand, early diagnosis makes it one of the easiest cancers to cure.
  • Options

Will get the results in a few days time. I hope it's clear, obviously, but if not then still better to know.

Thanks to @Tracey and everyone else involved in the campaigning who made me, a man in his 50s with family history of the condition but no symptons, get it done.

I hope it's clear. Was it just a blood test?
  • Options

I hope it's clear. Was it just a blood test?
    Yes, the PSA test.

"A little scratch with a needle" as the nurse said.

To book it I just went on to my local surgery's on-line consultation, said I wanted the test and I got an email back saying the form to take to the local hospital was available to pick up from reception.

A really simple process.
  • Options
    I’ve had problems with peeing for years. I know I’ve got an enlarged prostate and I’m taking the pills to help with the flow. It was Bill Turnball’s news that he had PC which prompted me to go to the docs to request a check up. My PSA has gone up from 3.3 to 4.0 in a little over two years just had another blood test to see if it was a blip as riding a bike, would you believe, an raise the PSA (must be the tight Lycra shorts). I feel absolutely fine, fit and healthily but I’m not sure if I should be worried.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

I’ve had problems with peeing for years. I know I’ve got an enlarged prostate and I’m taking the pills to help with the flow. It was Bill Turnball’s news that he had PC which prompted me to go to the docs to request a check up. My PSA has gone up from 3.3 to 4.0 in a little over two years just had another blood test to see if it was a blip as riding a bike, would you believe, an raise the PSA (must be the tight Lycra shorts). I feel absolutely fine, fit and healthily but I’m not sure if I should be worried.

Levels of Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) in the blood are directly correlated to the size of the prostate gland. A raised level of PSA is a marker for enlarged gland but not an indicator for malignancy. A raised PSA test would be the starting point for further investigation starting in most cases with a digital rectal examination where a doctor is able to palpate the gland itself. A normal gland should be soft and smooth something like the tip of your nose. A hardened walnut feel should be referred for biopsy and imaging. Many many men over 50 have a non malignant enlarged gland called benign prostatic hyperplasia. BPH would also produce urinary symptoms like reduced flow, frequency. Age also causes the bladder to loose it’s elasticity so most men experience symptoms like frequency and nocturia ( getting up during the night to pee). It’s a disease that creeps up on you and why diagnosis is often late and sadly often too late.

All men with symptoms or as above who are 50 plus should seek advice sooner rather than later. I’m very glad that the message is slowly getting through to men that they need to be aware of this killer.
  • Options
    Good stuff, Henners.

Did you have to remove your cardi for that little prick ?
  • Options

Good stuff, Henners.

pardon?
  • Options

Good stuff, Henners.

pardon?
    This is like a Carry On film.
  • Options

Good stuff, Henners.

No, but the doctor did have both hands on his shoulders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    My dad had it caught it early and was cured and fortunately still around 20 years later and healthy in that respect with regular (every few years) check ups.

As a result I make sure I get checked every few years too.
  • Options

Steve Rider: Sports presenter to have surgery after prostate cancer diagnosis

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67076336
  • Options
    Are CAFC planning on doing it again this year? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Are CAFC planning on doing it again this year? 
    It’s normally in February of each year.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Brother in law in mid 50s is going through the wringer. Went to G.P around 18 months ago and told nothing to worry about after a general checkover, no PSA done. Last October he went back insisting something wasn't right. Had a PSA and was booked for a biopsy. No appointment availability until March 2023. Following biopsy told more tests needed. In July told he's got stage 4 PC but needs to speak to a Consultant, but no appointments available until September. Seen consultant last month and told surgery could be December onwards. Absolute sham of an NHS, and that coming from an employee for most of the past 20 years.

All well and good going for tests but there needs to be a shake up as the resources are insufficient. 

That said, get tested guys. 

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/30/radiotherapy-doses-for-prostate-cancer-could-be-cut-by-three-quarters-trial-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Hopefully this new shorter more intense radiotherapy treatment can be adopted and rolled out quickly. This should enable the waiting list to be shortened. Still the issue about under capacity for biopsies and scans to be looked at.
  • Options
    https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/mri-scans-improve-prostate-cancer-diagnosis/34257

https://www.england.nhs.uk/cancer/case-studies/rapid-model-for-prostate-cancer/

Hopefully in the not too distant future the MRI scan will form the backbone of a national screening programme that works.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That sounds appalling,why was there a four month wait for the biopsy results,this is the exact opposite of my experience in Medway,from the time I got my red letter,to treatment starting was around 3 -4 months,including biopsy,scans etc.So I guess it i s luck of the draw,but the delays in your brother in laws case are unacceptable for such a potentially dangerous situation,I wish him well,and reiterate what you said,get tested.
  • Options
    I know from, personal experience, how difficult the US healthcare system can be, but when I get my annual PSA test (every year since my 50th), I get the results next day. I’m always mystified why it takes so long to get results in the UK. 
  • Options
    I know from, personal experience, how difficult the US healthcare system can be, but when I get my annual PSA test (every year since my 50th), I get the results next day. I’m always mystified why it takes so long to get results in the UK. 
    As a rule we get ours the next day as well. 
  • Options
    Stay well 63.   Did a PSA test last night,  I am 60 and Dad died two years ago of it.  It was negative and i'll do it every year from now on in.
  • Options

I was part of the Charlton testing initiative in 2022 – 360 tested - 16 red & 12 amber results returned. My understanding and experience were that everyone received their results, first thing the following morning.

My result was a red result and I arranged to see my GP. He performed the finger procedure and declared that he thought I had nothing to worry about, but still sent me for another blood test.

That test came back similar to the Charlton result and due to it being a potential cancer diagnosis, I was fast-tracked to Guys hospital for further investigations.

An initial consultation that included the finger probe (this time there was concern expressed at what was found) was followed by an MRI scan and finally a biopsy.

The consultant that performed the biopsy basically confirmed the PC diagnosis on the day but wanted to ask me how I had been referred, as in my case, the condition was at one of the earliest stages that he had seen.

He was very interested in the Charlton annual mass screening story and indicated that he was not aware that this went on. He confirmed the point that the earlier PC was found, and treatment commenced the greater the chance of a full recovery.

I opted to have the robotic surgery procedure at Guys and in the June had the operation which took 3 to 4 hours and after about three months of convalescence, have made a full recovery.

As @Daarrzzetbum said there are reports that the blood test is not always reliable, but that is what the NHS use to monitor me going forward. Currently on a 3 monthly check.

Please “Gents” of a certain age, get yourselves tested annually down at the valley.

Ditto (pretty much).