Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton players in racism storm (video in The Sun).....

Comments

• Fiiish said:

Simple fix.

Make it a criminal offence to share a video without a subject's consent.

You'd fix two problems:

1) people could be more free to be themselves without being filmed

2) no more inane videos going viral

As some one who works in video production, this would absolutely not work at all and create a whole Pandora’s box of problems.
  • Whoever is arguing that WhatsApp is social media is wrong.

You need to have that persons number on your phone, it’s a private group. If one of those people decides to share the information on it then that’s their choice.

It’s like telling your mate something and he decides to tell someone else and then claiming your pal Keith is a form of social media.

Except that you are responsible for the information you share and whom you share it with, regardless of the application you choose to use.

Telling your mate something and telling your mate something and filming it and then sending it to someone who will let it fall into a national newspaper's hands are extraordinarily different scenarios - I hope you can see that?
  • <

As someone who hates the Sun newspaper I don't think that is the issue. I think it reflects badly on the comedy club Charlton Athletic and present and ex players in that video. And people wonder why gay players don't come out when 20th century banter lives and breaths. Is there any man on this thread who thinks calling a team mates mum a slag is acceptable ?

No idea how old you are or if it's just the mates i hang around with, but i'm pretty sure there's not a single one of our group who's not had one of their mum's abused (in piss taking terms) by the rest of the group. It's just standard banter growing up. No one ever took it too personally.
    Find, no problem till one of your mums or girlfriend get sick and then tell me no one takes it personally. Many blokes act like sheep. I've seen the violence when work banter gets personal on the wrong day. Don't think it's an age issue, because the millennial generation seem sensitive on many subjects.
  • Fiiish said:

Simple fix.

You'd fix two problems:

As some one who works in video production, this would absolutely not work at all and create a whole Pandora’s box of problems.
    Would put an end to people constantly having to film every fucking second of their mundane lives to post on Instagram.

Although I'd be interested to hear what some problems it would create.
  • Could finally be an excuse to take the armband off of Solly ?!
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Simple fix.

You'd fix two problems:

Would put an end to people constantly having to film every fucking second of their mundane lives to post on Instagram.

One “word”, cctv.
  • Come on everyone. Do we not all talk like that when out on the lash or indeed in the bosom of our loving families?
  • Or maybe it's another case of The Sun making a hurricane in an esspresso cup.
  • Roger Johnson is getting a lot of stick, understandably so, but there are three current first team players in that video, including our vice-captain Chris Solly.

It's quite unsavory, and as @Henry Irving rightly points out it really is a step back for all the great inclusivity work by those done in the community.

I'm not concerned about them filming it, moreso about them saying things. That said, all friend groups have different parameters in terms of what is and is not acceptable. This may be wholly in line with what goes on between these guys in what is mutual good-natured joking, we obviously don't know, and I don't know that I trust The Sun saying "it caused some resentment" because I think they'd say that no matter what to inflate the story. But given these are a load of senior professionals giving stick to a youth team player it feels...shitty, is kind of the best way I can describe it.
  • I've said loads of offensive stuff in my life when attempting to be humorous but I've always done this in an environment where those I'm with are the intended audience who hopefully understand it's meant to be humour. I certainly would never film anything as it can be taken the wrong way.

I don't understand why those below 30 have to film everything and can't see how this can go horribly wrong. Am I missing something?
  • Sponsored links:

• Been too busy to read the whole thread

I don't condone the terminology and think those involved are idiots but if what I read was correct the players were present when being abused and, presumably, didn't report it as racist and it was deemed more to be "banter" (my single most despised word in the english language).
  • Before we draw any conclusions of wrongdoing they have the right to a fair hearing.
  • Before we draw any conclusions of wrongdoing they have the right to a fair hearing.

I sort of feel they'll struggle with this one - maybe they'll learn from it?

Rightly or wrongly I don't think many organisations would see this as good PR.
  • Swisdom said:

Been too busy to read the whole thread

I don't condone the terminology and think those involved are idiots but if what I read was correct the players were present when being abused and, presumably, didn't report it as racist and it was deemed more to be "banter" (my single most despised word in the english language).

Were the players present? - it isn't clear from the video and is important.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Now we all know that Curbs and Powelly did extensive research into signing players for the club and always looked to sign the right characters both on and off the pitch. Now I look at some players who have come in under the ill fated Roland regime and take Roger 'The Todger' Johnson and both Alan and Chris would have said thanks but no thanks over RJ.

IF RJ is the one you have a problem with (he is the most vulgar) then you have a problem with your logic.

Phillips
    Fox
    Solly
    Lennon
    All were his team mates in the unders or have come from the academy and should all know better...

Holmes should know much better and looked embarrassed.

Personally I saw it as poor banter, but banter none the less.
    What is banter?

You need to have that persons number on your phone, it’s a private group. If one of those people decides to share the information on it then that’s their choice.

It’s like telling your mate something and he decides to tell someone else and then claiming your pal Keith is a form of social media.

I'm on 3 of my sons football team groups , there are loads of other parents on these groups whose numbers I don't have and yes it is dangerous, I sent a 'rude' video by mistake to the wrong group (before you could delete messages) and got an "inappropriate" message back from a mother who I didn't know and obviously the dads loved the bants , thankfully it was one of the tamer ones that i had been sent!
    My Whatsapp group send each other pictures of roast lamb dinners!
    This @JamesSeed!
  • Glad it come out the day after we were nominated for community club of the year. Think that will go down well amongst the people who decide a winner

I'm on 3 of my sons football team groups , there are loads of other parents on these groups whose numbers I don't have and yes it is dangerous, I sent a 'rude' video by mistake to the wrong group (before you could delete messages) and got an "inappropriate" message back from a mother who I didn't know and obviously the dads loved the bants , thankfully it was one of the tamer ones that i had been sent!
    My Whatsapp group send each other pictures of roast lamb dinners!
    You do it a disservice, the weeing one was quite funny...
  • Sponsored links:

• The ITN crewroom was full of banter (racist, homophobic, sexist) in the eighties. Eventually we had a more inclusive department, and it sort of faded away. One or two of the older cameramen continued it, but just looked kind of dumb in the process.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Simple fix.

You'd fix two problems:

One “word”, cctv.
    Do people generally "share" CCTV footage? Apart from viral videos where a burglar gets locked in or falls down a hole. I'm talking about social media here, not legitimate business use.
  • JamesSeed said:

The ITN crewroom was full of banter (racist, homophobic, sexist) in the eighties. Eventually we had a more inclusive department, and it sort of faded away. One or two of the older cameramen continued it, but just looked kind of dumb in the process.

Banter changes as attitudes change as you say and most people change with it. Those that don't change are usually the minority.

Humour changes decade by decade.
  • It slightly saddens me that when we see footage of our players on social occasions, there usually seems to be a divide between the white players and the black players, you never seem to see them mixing together.

Quite a few of the black players are religious.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Simple fix.

You'd fix two problems:

One “word”, cctv.
    Do people generally "share" CCTV footage? Apart from viral videos where a burglar gets locked in or falls down a hole. I'm talking about social media here, not legitimate business use.
    Well, exactly, there’s a massive amount of legal loopholes have to be created which would render the “law” pointless
  • I've said loads of offensive stuff in my life when attempting to be humorous but I've always done this in an environment where those I'm with are the intended audience who hopefully understand it's meant to be humour. I certainly would never film anything as it can be taken the wrong way.

I don't understand why those below 30 have to film everything and can't see how this can go horribly wrong. Am I missing something?

Why does every Middle Aged person have to create a housing market and economy that effectively snatches the ladder away for everyone else?

Ahh yes, so easy to generalise.
  • JamesSeed said:

It slightly saddens me that when we see footage of our players on social occasions, there usually seems to be a divide between the white players and the black players, you never seem to see them mixing together.

Quite a few of the black players are religious.
    Religion also causes a problem - some religions have pretty extreme views which are not exactly pro diversity. A lot of religious people insist on sharing their views however extreme they are.
  • edited March 2018
    Fiiish said:

Simple fix.

You'd fix two problems:

And a million people in jail. Blimey people get let off for carrying knives, so I'm sure the old bill would be right into clamping down on guys videoing in the pub.
  • Fiiish said:

Simple fix.

You'd fix two problems:

And a million people in jail.
    Creates a lot of jobs in the law, in prisons and in the building industry to build all the new prisons.

Sounds like a winner...
  • edited March 2018

Now we all know that Curbs and Powelly did extensive research into signing players for the club and always looked to sign the right characters both on and off the pitch. Now I look at some players who have come in under the ill fated Roland regime and take Roger 'The Todger' Johnson and both Alan and Chris would have said thanks but no thanks over RJ.

Short memory, have you forgotten Todd punching Kiely ?