Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most underated films!

Comments

• Options
    I think McVicar was decently received.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Moon
    Sunshine
    Memento
    Identity

Memento is excellent.
    Not really underrated though .
    Riviera said:

Sexy Beast

Such a crap film! How can you cast Ben Kingsley as a hard man? His effort was a joke that ruined this film along with the stupid rabbit dream sequence. Winstone looked as uncomfortable in the film as his character did to do the job.
    The only saving grace was the cameo by the wonderful Ian McShane.
    "How much did I say Gal?"
    "Ten"
    "I've only got a £20"
    I think you will find you are wrong.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Moon
    Sunshine
    Memento
    Identity

Memento is excellent.
    Riviera said:

Sexy Beast

Such a crap film! How can you cast Ben Kingsley as a hard man? His effort was a joke that ruined this film along with the stupid rabbit dream sequence. Winstone looked as uncomfortable in the film as his character did to do the job.
    "Ten"
    "I've only got a £20"
    I don't think Sexy Beast was underrated though, same with a lot of films on this thread. Fucking hell, someone had put the theory of everything on here and that won loads of awards

I went for 25th Hour because I am confident it didn't win any awards and there is only me and one of my mates I lent the DVD to years ago who I know have seen it

I would have said American history x but everyone I know who has seen that raves about it

Butterfly affect was a film me and a mate and the two birds we took to watch it spoke about all the way home and while it's probably a bit dated now, it was mind blowing for me as a 21 year old yob
  • Options
    Ill Manors, this film is brutal and not an easy watch, but it does seem real.
  • Options
    Requiem for a Dream
    Glengarry Glenross
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    For me, the movie a lot of my friends hate but I love... love does not even begin to describe what I think of it.... "Mulholland Drive" by David Lynch.

I think it's the best movie I've seen the last 20 years. Once one starts to understand what is actually happening in the movie (which often takes at least 2x) it just becomes a great movie about the human condition. It's like a Picasso on celluloid.
  • Options
    Unthinkable.
  • Options
    Carter said:

stonemuse said:

Moon
    Sunshine
    Memento
    Identity

Memento is excellent.
    Riviera said:

Sexy Beast

"Ten"
    "I've only got a £20"
    I don't think Sexy Beast was underrated though, same with a lot of films on this thread. Fucking hell, someone had put the theory of everything on here and that won loads of awards

I went for 25th Hour because I am confident it didn't win any awards and there is only me and one of my mates I lent the DVD to years ago who I know have seen it

I would have said American history x but everyone I know who has seen that raves about it

Butterfly affect was a film me and a mate and the two birds we took to watch it spoke about all the way home and while it's probably a bit dated now, it was mind blowing for me as a 21 year old yob
    25th hour is quality. I’m a fan of Spike Lee and Ed Norton generally so this one had to work for me.

That racist rant scene he does is incredible.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Glengarry Glenross

Pretty sure this is "critically acclaimed" if not well known. Pity, because it's awesome.
  • Options
    Love Honour and Obey

In my top 10

Most people I speak to have never heard of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    An almost unheard-of American movie called Sitting Ducks....very funny black comedy about two comical guys who rip off the mob and go on the run.
    Wonderful acting and comical larger than life characters.
    A hidden gem.
    1980's.
  • Options

Love Honour and Obey

In my top 10

Top film with some great moments.....also like how everyone in the film has the same first name as the actor.

The bit where the bloke gets stabbed by his mate in the boozer is quality.

• Options
    Saw Falling Down last night - film about a guy going into meltdown as his life has fallen apart.

Michael Douglas was excellent - not someone I normally rate. A very menacing performance.
  • Options

Saw Falling Down last night - film about a guy going into meltdown as his life has fallen apart.

Michael Douglas was excellent - not someone I normally rate. A very menacing performance.

Could never get bored watching that film. One of my favourites.
  • Options

The outlaw Josey Wales just about to start on T C M
    Channel 415
    Great film

Agreed
  • Options

An almost unheard-of American movie called Sitting Ducks....very funny black comedy about two comical guys who rip off the mob and go on the run.
    Wonderful acting and comical larger than life characters.
    A hidden gem.
    1980's.

Charley Varrick. Also about two guys who rip off the mob. Great story starring Walter Matthau.
  • Options
    High Plains Drifter
    Dark Star
  • Options

Love Honour and Obey

In my top 10

Top film with some great moments.....also like how everyone in the film has the same first name as the actor.

The bit where the bloke gets stabbed by his mate in the boozer is quality.

great soundtrack as well

'These hands are like deadly weapons, no really mate I can protect meself, go on go for it, stab me you Sy'
    'Ummph, he stabbed me, he done me in the guts'
    'oops, Sorry Bruce'
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Someone on here once recommended The Station Agent.
    Very little happens but like the films @daveaddick mentions, it's a fabulous small, character driven piece which I absolutely loved.
    I'll look out for your recommendations, thanks.

Another shout out for The Station Agent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heaven's Gate. The uncut version on 35mm, absolutely superb.
  • Options
    The Greasy Strangler. Weird as fuck but with some real laugh out loud moments.
  • Options
    Eyes Wide Shut
  • Options
    A lot of great, great shouts in here.

First thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is the adaptation of "Hamlet" starring Ethan Hawke. He is excellent in it, the colors and tone of the movie are really good. At times it's over the top, but then so is Hamlet, and that's part of its charm.

Oh and just thought of one more, Cool Runnings.

Others for me already mentioned:
    Children of Men
    Arlington Road
    Gattaca
    What Dreams May Come
    Burn After Reading
  • Options
    Nil By Mouth
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    DA9 said:

Nil By Mouth

Brilliant - Despite the fact that Ray W is in it
  • Options

DA9 said:

Nil By Mouth

Brilliant - Despite the fact that Ray W is in int
    The world's most irritating geezer...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    American Graffiti

If you haven’t seen it and you like early 1960s American cars and music and spotting lots of major Holywood/movie industry stars at the outset of their careers or letting the penny drop where and what certain references/things are all about then this is the film for you.

As a side, I see Jaguar pictured one of their new cars outside a Mel’s Diner the other day...
  • Options
    Blood Simple. The best Coen brothers film, downhill all the way after that.
  • Options
    The Firm (80's version) bits of it were filmed at Sellout, however I won't hold that against it

And

ID