Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most underated films!

Comments

• Ross said:

The Book of Eli.

Not many people I know have heard of it. Brilliant film, and it has Denzel in which is always a bonus.

• GODS OWN COUNTRY
    Probably the best film I saw last year but barely got a showing around the country. I think the subject matter, a gay love story set in Yorkshire, may have doomed it.
    One of the best British films I've ever seen.

LOOKING FOR ERIC
    Fantastic film with a great script and loads of humour. Cameo role for Eric Cantons.

THE IRON GIANT
    Superb piece of animation - very underrated.

ANOMALISA
    Very very weird animated film starring David Thewlis as a motivational speaker. Incredibly original and striking to watch.
  • If you’re into spaghetti westerns anything by Sergio Corbucci is an underrated masterpiece.

“The great silence” is an incredible film, shot in the alpine snow set in the mountains of Wyoming is an absolute masterpiece.
  • Burn, Burn, Burn
    I really enjoyed this low budget British road movie of two girls scattering their friends ashes in different places round the country, guided by a video will.
  • IdleHans said:

Burn, Burn, Burn
    I really enjoyed this low budget British road movie of two girls scattering their friends ashes in different places round the country, guided by a video will.

Which reminds me of,

Burn After Reading, Coen brothers.

Not sure if it was as popular as their others but I loved Brad Pitt’s character, never thought I’d see him playing that kind of role. Also loved Malkovich.
  • 'Black cat white cat'
    By Emir Kustorica.
    Also check out his band 'the no smoking orchestra' live performance on YouTube.
    Love the man...

Loved the film and the music, just wonderful.
    MMMAAAARRRAAADDDOONNNAAAAA !!!
  • McVicar
  • City of God
    I Am Sam
    Battle Royale
    Mean Streets
  • Sightseers definitely deserves more recognition. British dark humour at its best.
  • Everybody's Fine
    Out of the Furnace
    Black Mass
    Man Up
    Self/less
    Ain't Them Bodies Saints
    Kill the Messenger
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Missed It said:

stonemuse said:

Has to be The Shawshank Redemption.

Can’t believe anyone underrates that ...such a good film.
    It was well under rated when it first came out. Nobody went to see it at the cinema and it was considered a failure. It only took off on TV and video afterwards.
    This! it bombed at the box office but now it's in many peoples top ten so it has to be The Shawshank Redemption as the most underrated film of all time.
    It did bomb in its initial run in late 1994 (up against Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump) but got a bunch of Oscar nominations and did well when re-released in early 95

• Love these threads. I would like to mention two movies that I think are great and what I call "small Movies" in the sense that there is no crash, bang, wallop, no special effects just a good story well acted. So:

1) Nobodies Fool: One of the last movies that Paul Newman made he plays a small town builder, the main story is about his reconciliation with his son. Has a great cast including Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffiths I cannot recommend this film enough
    2) Beautiful girls: This movie has at its core a high school reunion but it is really about the inter-relationships of the people involved. Stars Timothy Hutton, Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman and a very young (could be her first film) Natalie Portman, you could see she was going to be good! Nothing much happens but it is a great late night movie.
  • If you’re into spaghetti westerns anything by Sergio Corbucci is an underrated masterpiece.

“The great silence” is an incredible film, shot in the alpine snow set in the mountains of Wyoming is an absolute masterpiece.

Do NOT get me started on Sergio Corbucci or spaghetti Westerns, because you'll be here all night (I have about a dozen books on the genre) but The Great Silence is one of my favourite films ever. I've watched it maybe 10-15 times. It's a relentlessly bleak wintry Western with a defiantly downbeat ending. It's Corbucci's best film, and that includes Django, although the full version of Companeros almost reaches the heights of the The Great Silence. Snow in films is ace.
  • Someone on here once recommended The Station Agent.
    Very little happens but like the films @daveaddick mentions, it's a fabulous small, character driven piece which I absolutely loved.
    I'll look out for your recommendations, thanks.
  • The main trouble with this thread is it gives you a massive list of films to watch(or not watch). Would be hard to catch up.
  • edited March 2018
    What was interesting was that the novel did not portray the humans as fascists. It was very clever by Verhoeven and does make the film a classic IMO. It really challenges you because it tells the story from the perspective of real people you can relate to against ugly, scary insects that are really the victims. There is talk of a re-make that will be truer to the novel, which is destined to be crap.
  • Love these threads. I would like to mention two movies that I think are great and what I call "small Movies" in the sense that there is no crash, bang, wallop, no special effects just a good story well acted. So:

1) Nobodies Fool: One of the last movies that Paul Newman made he plays a small town builder, the main story is about his reconciliation with his son. Has a great cast including Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffiths I cannot recommend this film enough
    2) Beautiful girls: This movie has at its core a high school reunion but it is really about the inter-relationships of the people involved. Stars Timothy Hutton, Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman and a very young (could be her first film) Natalie Portman, you could see she was going to be good! Nothing much happens but it is a great late night movie.

Natalie Portman had already been in the stone cold classic Leon.
  • hawksmoor said:

If you’re into spaghetti westerns anything by Sergio Corbucci is an underrated masterpiece.

Do NOT get me started on Sergio Corbucci or spaghetti Westerns, because you'll be here all night (I have about a dozen books on the genre) but The Great Silence is one of my favourite films ever. I've watched it maybe 10-15 times. It's a relentlessly bleak wintry Western with a defiantly downbeat ending. It's Corbucci's best film, and that includes Django, although the full version of Companeros almost reaches the heights of the The Great Silence. Snow in films is ace.
    It’s one of my favourite ever, klaus kinski is absolutely chilling (forgive the pun) as the villain.

Western in the snow and the score by ennio morricone, where can you go wrong?
  • City of God
    I Am Sam
    Battle Royale
    Mean Streets

I think Mean Streets is an overrated film.
  • Infinity Cell
  • Sponsored links:

• Sexy Beast

Such a crap film! How can you cast Ben Kingsley as a hard man? His effort was a joke that ruined this film along with the stupid rabbit dream sequence. Winstone looked as uncomfortable in the film as his character did to do the job.
    The only saving grace was the cameo by the wonderful Ian McShane.
    "How much did I say Gal?"
    "Ten"
    "I've only got a £20"
  • Whats a critical success?

La La Land, Get Out, Gods Own Country, Moonlight, Call Me By Your Name, Birdman. Basically shit films that the insiders in the industry are all over because it makes them feel cool.
  • Sweeney2

Without doubt the greatest film of all time.
  • Riviera said:

Whats a critical success?

La La Land, Get Out, Gods Own Country, Moonlight, Call Me By Your Name, Birdman. Basically shit films that the insiders in the industry are all over because it makes them feel cool.
    La La Land is a fantastic film: probably a bit too clever for your plebeian tastes.
  • Redskin said:

Riviera said:

La La Land is a fantastic film: probably a bit too clever for your plebeian tastes.
    It's crap
  • Redskin said:

Riviera said:

It's crap
    No, it isn't.
  • Riviera said:

Get out is fantastic film.
  • La La Land was an excellent enjoyable film which disapointed me because I expected it to be even better! Probably belongs on a dedicated thread, not this one!
  • edited March 2018
    I do recall meeting somebody who really loved Starship Troopers, but didn't get it was taking the pee out of right-wing militarism. I think that is what made it so clever, right -wing militarists could watch and enjoy it at face value without any idea they were being challenged. That makes it a genius film.

Speed Racer in IMAX was the closest you could get to taking drugs without taking them! It was a visual feast that you just had to open up and let in.
  • shirty5 said:

McVicar

Good shout