Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is there a water shortage? - the cost of drinks when eating out

2»

Comments

• you can still be charged for tap water.

Not for the actual water, but they can charge you for the 'service' of bringing it to you, the costs for supplying the glasses, cleaning etc.
  • clb74 said:

How many people do order tap water though in a restaurant.
    Im as tight as arseholes but even i wouldn't order tap water.
    Seen tap water ordered twice one was at the ivy.

And thats the trouble, people worried about being 'tight' for not paying £5 for a fkin glass of aqua
  • When in the UK I like Cote Brasserie, they automatically bring you a bottle of filtered water without asking. We always order a bottle of house red wherever we are, and have noticed in recent years that many people now order tap water rather than bottled, so we have no issue with doing the same (I wouldn't if I were not having a "proper" drink - restaurants have to make a living too). As bottled water is so cheap here in Portugal, UK prices feel like a real piss take - not as bad as Germany though paid up to €7 for a litre there...

Used to be a little embarrassed ordering tap water but, as you say, most seem to do it now so no problem.

Places like Tapas and Jamie’s now bring a carafe of free water if you ask for tap water.

• Here in Canada, you will be served tap water at pretty much any restaurant automatically. No stigma attached to just drinking that with your meal if you so choose.
  • MrOneLung said:

you can still be charged for tap water.

Not for the actual water, but they can charge you for the 'service' of bringing it to you, the costs for supplying the glasses, cleaning etc.

I would think that an itemised bill for tap water would pretty much ensure that you lost those customers permanently. It would in my case anyway.

• It's a business - they have to cover the cost of staff, rent, utilities and the food/drinks they're serving. They'll do it any way they can, so if you want to save money and eat out tap water is the best bet.

As someone who's worked in hospitality and served food I've never judged anyone for ordering tap water. It's something I do myself, because I like to keep on being alive - water is great for that :grin:
  • I know one thing there must be alot of people out there earning lots of money.
    Went to a bar restaurant last weekend nearly £7 for a 330ml bottle of lager
  • Here in France (Charente-Maritime) you automatically get a bottle or carafe of tap-water with your meal. You always have the option of ordering bottled water if you want it, of course, but there's nothing wrong with the tap-water.
  • shine166 said:

clb74 said:

How many people do order tap water though in a restaurant.
    Im as tight as arseholes but even i wouldn't order tap water.
    Seen tap water ordered twice one was at the ivy.

And thats the trouble, people worried about being 'tight' for not paying £5 for a fkin glass of aqua
    I am tight
    Was doing a bit of work in a restaurant where ive known the manager for over 20 years.
    They do a starter and roast dinner for £13 on sundays.
    I said to him dont you get a pudding as well,
    He said i'll pull me trousers down and bend over and you f@ck me aswell.
    No thanks i said youd be wanting a tip.