Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The invincibles (Arsenal 03/04 ) or current Manchester city team?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Off the top of my head Arsenal's was

Leman
    Lauren
    Cambell
    Keown
    Cole

Gilberto Silva
    Viera
    Pires
    Lumberg

Henry
    Bergkamp

They may not be right

United treble winning team

Shmiceal

G Nevile
    Stamp
    Johnson
    Irwin

Beckam
    Scholes
    Keane
    Giggs

Yorke
    Cole

• Options
    edited March 2018

Could someone chuck up Arsenal’s main 11 season and City’s ? And Man U’s main one in their pomp

Going on a 4-4-2 formation and most appearances:

Man Utd (1999): Schmeichel | G. Neville | Irwin | Stam | Johnson | Beckham | Keane | Scholes | Giggs | Cole | Yorke
    Man City (2018): Ederson | Walker | Stones | Otamendi | Danilo | Sterling | Gündoğan | De Bruyne | Sané | Jesus | Aguero
    Arsenal (2004): Lehmann | Ashley Cole | Campbell | Lauren | Toure | Pires | Vieira | Gilberto Silva | Ljungberg | Henry | Bergkamp

For me the combined squad would be:

Peter Schmeichel
    Gary Neville | Jaap Stam | Sol Campbell | Ashley Cole
    Leroy Sane | Kevin De Bruyne | Paul Scholes | Ryan Giggs
    Sergio Aguero | Thierry Henry

Man Utd ... Seven players
    Man City ... Three Players
    Arsenal ... Three Players

What lets Man City down is the fact that there are much better options from those squads than Walker | Stones | Otamendi | Danilo in defence

And if you were to replace KDB or Scholes with a Defensive Midfielder then it would have to be Patrick Vieira so Arsenal would have more players than Man City in that squad
  • Options
    My spelling is awful!! But not bad off the top of my head
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

My spelling is awful!! But not bad off the top of my head

Only Keown wrong so impressive...

I went by Wikipedia and was surprised that Kolo Toure was at Arsenal at that stage
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Could someone chuck up Arsenal’s main 11 season and City’s ? And Man U’s main one in their pomp

United have hadone about 3 decent sides!

Arsenal:

United 99:

Though Johnson played as much as Berg I think.

United 08:

Van De Sar
    Brown/Neville, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
    Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Park
    Teversham, Rooney

City now:

Ederson
    Walker, Otamendi, Stones, Mendy/Danilo
    Fernandinho, De Bruyne
    Sane, D.Silva, Sterling
    Jesus/Aguero
  • Options
    Johnsen started nine games more than Berg did
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I think United's two teams edge it as the.best two - the midfield in 99 was fantastic and they had so many goals in the team, whereas the defence was top quality in 2008 and the Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez is a very good front 3 on top of that.

United were quality in Europe too which the other two didn't/haven't managed yet.
  • Options

Man Utd (1999): Schmeichel | G. Neville | Irwin | Stam | Johnson | Beckham | Keane | Scholes | Giggs | Cole | Yorke
    Man City (2018): Ederson | Walker | Stones | Otamendi | Danilo | Sterling | Gündoğan | De Bruyne | Sané | Jesus | Aguero
    Arsenal (2004): Lehmann | Ashley Cole | Campbell | Lauren | Toure | Pires | Vieira | Gilberto Silva | Ljungberg | Henry | Bergkamp

Peter Schmeichel

Man Utd ... Seven Five players

What lets Man City down is the fact that there are much better options from those squads than Walker | Stones | Otamendi | Danilo in defence

And if you were to replace KDB or Scholes with a Defensive Midfielder then it would have to be Patrick Vieira so Arsenal would have more players than Man City in that squad
    I've corrected that because you had 13 players in total. It is very subjective and I would argue that Ederson is a more complete keeper for the modern game in which case it would be City (4), United (4) and Arsenal (3).

It's also the sum of the total that counts and which is the better team rather than individuals.
  • Options
    A bit depressing looking at the 2003/04 league table...

We finished 7th, with Spurs 14th, Man City 16th and Everton 17th
  • Options
    The current City side is potentially better than both the great Arsenal and Man U sides, but it needs trophies to seal it, and European success
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018

Peter Schmeichel

You'd have Sane ahead of Beckham?
  • Options

Johnsen started nine games more than Berg did

Found it online - thought Johnsen might have played more but wasn't sure!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Off the top of my head Arsenal's was

Leman
    Lauren
    Cambell
    Keown
    Cole

Gilberto Silva
    Viera
    Pires
    Lumberg

Henry
    Bergkamp

Or

• Options
    Weaver

Borrowdale Daily Doherty Mceveley

Soares Spring Dean Parrett Nouble

Abbott Benson

• Options
    cabbles said:

Weaver

Abbott Benson

I have been searching my soul to think of a more powderpuff front two than Church-Sordell for some time, but I think you've just done it.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cabbles said:

Weaver

Abbott Benson

I have been searching my soul to think of a more powderpuff front two than Church-Sordell for some time, but I think you've just done it.
    I'd rather Benson than Church!
  • Options

Peter Schmeichel

I would have lots of people ahead of Beckham, massively over rated. Very good player but by no means great!
  • Options

cafctom said:

cabbles said:

Weaver

Abbott Benson

I'd rather Benson than Church!
    Maybe so, but factor Abbott into the equation and we're talking about a whole new level of shit.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Peter Schmeichel

I would have lots of people ahead of Beckham, massively over rated. Very good player but by no means great!
    So many people say that Beckham was overrated to a point where he is actually under rated I feel.

There was a show on Sky Sports the other day just showing highlights of his goals, free kicks, assists etc. It's actually astounding how good he was in his prime.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Peter Schmeichel

So many people say that Beckham was overrated to a point where he is actually under rated I feel.

There was a show on Sky Sports the other day just showing highlights of his goals, free kicks, assists etc. It's actually astounding how good he was in his prime.
    Beckham was class. I think that when we lost him to Spain and we didn’t perhaps have the level of football coverage we have today on Sky we forget just how good he was. Also, it meant we invariably only saw him in an England shirt, and although he was class for England as well, the weight and expectation of wanting England to do well, sometimes meant we put too much on him and what he could do

I also think his life outside of football could sometimes detract from how good a footballer he was as well. He wasn’t just a footballer he was a personality in the spotlight, which meant that it wasn’t always football that he got metioned with in the news etc.

Great player and wished we’d had him for longer in the Prem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Peter Schmeichel

Beckham was class. I think that when we lost him to Spain and we didn’t perhaps have the level of football coverage we have today on Sky we forget just how good he was. Also, it meant we invariably only saw him in an England shirt, and although he was class for England as well, the weight and expectation of wanting England to do well, sometimes meant we put too much on him and what he could do

I also think his life outside of football could sometimes detract from how good a footballer he was as well. He wasn’t just a footballer he was a personality in the spotlight, which meant that it wasn’t always football that he got metioned with in the news etc.

What Beckham did "looked" easy, surely anyone can take decent corners and free kicks etc with a bit of practice?

It's only when you see the rubbish delivery from crosses and dead balls every match that you realise it's harder than it looks! Time after time, you see tricky wingers getting into good positions, then send in a rubbish ball...
  • Options

Peter Schmeichel

I originally had Beckham in the squad yet despite having a good right foot, he isnt the all round player like what Sane can do
  • Options

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Peter Schmeichel

What Beckham did "looked" easy, surely anyone can take decent corners and free kicks etc with a bit of practice?

It's only when you see the rubbish delivery from crosses and dead balls every match that you realise it's harder than it looks! Time after time, you see tricky wingers getting into good positions, then send in a rubbish ball...
    Even in the last 15 years I haven't seen a player with the same crossing ability as Beckham.

Maybe that's partially down to the evolution in the way football is played (much more on the deck, wingers cutting inside etc).
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Weaver

Abbott Benson

That team sends a shiver down my spine!
  • Options
    City for me, Grew up watching Arsenal invincibles as always followed aswell. Arsenal had a great team back then but the game has come on alot more and City would play them off the park for me.

Henry>Aguero
    Arsenals back 4 > Citys defence although hard to compare as not 4 vs 4
    Won in midfield for city, they just create too many chances and just run the show for me
  • Options
    Arsenal's invincible side amongst the many games they drew that season were:

At home with: Portsmouth, Fulham and Birmingham

and drew away to: Charlton, Leicester, Bolton, Everton, Newcastle and Portsmouth.

Didn't reach either cup final and in europe they lost to Inter and Dynamo Kiev in their group and were dumped out by Chelsea in the quarters.

City are a much better side.
  • Options
    I do think the invincibles would beat this arsenal team even if some of them are nearly 50
  • Options
    I wonder if the current Arsenal team will be known as The Vincibles. Not sure any of them would get in the 2004 side - and I don't mean because some of them would have been at primary school.