Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robinson on disappointment at game postponement, training at The Valley and losing key duo to injury

edited March 2018 in General Charlton

With snow covering much of the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground, Charlton Athletic trained at The Valley this morning.

A session was planned if tomorrow’s game against AFC Wimbledon was on and a separate one planned if the game was off.

Once confirmation came through shortly after 12noon that the game was indeed postponed, the Addicks began training.

Karl Robinson explained the early postponement meant a higher intensity training session. He added: “To get this into the legs today gives us that high intensity hit, that we probably would have covered (in the game) tomorrow.”

The full interview with Karl Robinson after today’s training session is available on Valley Pass.

On disappointment that tomorrow's game is off

“Yeah, we trained yesterday. Our pitch is obviously playable today. If it was here we’d have been available to play, whether the surrounding areas would have been a problem would have been down to the police and a security perspective and a welfare issue in some ways.

“We’re a bit disappointed, when you are in this industry you are always ready to play to the best of your ability but listen, the pitch wasn’t playable, it’s nobody’s fault. We’ve been in constant contact with Neal Ardley and his team. Obviously they’ve got Chelsea’s groundsmen looking after it so they’ve got some of the best out there to try and make the pitch playable but it’s not to be unfortunately.”

On the news that Jay Dasilva and Ahmed Kashi would miss time with injuries

"The news we had this week, losing Ahmed Kashi and losing Jay Dasilva is the biggest blow we’ve had since I’ve been here. We put ourselves in a great position. It’s the first time, I think our physio has seen the injury of Ahmed and Jay’s one, the pitch gave way under his foot, you can’t really point fingers at anybody, it is just the luck we are having in that area at this moment is time is unbelievable. But we stay strong, we keep moving forward, we are very together, you can see that. They’ve trained very well today."

On being able to train despite the weather

"The groundstaff here at The Valley and the groundstaff at Sparrows Lane have been perfect. They’ve given us somewhere to train. Even I was on the tractor yesterday.

"Everyone has really played their part and we thank everyone who has given us the opportunity to train and keep our players in the condition we hope they can stay in for the run-in."

On the run-in with now three postponed games (Shrewsbury, Blackpool and AFC Wimbledon) needing to be played

"It’s going to be a real hectic run-in but these players have to be ready for one of the most difficult run-ins of their careers. Physically and mentally we’ve got get ourselves ready.

"We’re in a great position, we stay positive throughout the course of next week and we get ready for Saturday afternoon."

The full interview with Karl Robinson after today’s training session is available on Valley Pass.

Comments

• Cant feel sorry for him over the build up of games - Rochdale have it worse than us yet you dont see Keith Hill moaning!!
  • This mumble jumble is just a stocking filler.
  • I have supported keeping Robinson on and still see little point of sacking him in the current circumstances. But I do feel the injuries of Kashi and Da Silva should force a new approach tactically, but I also fear that Robinson doesn't change tactically. I think it is roll the dice time - I am going to tell a little secret here - our set up doesn't work at home. Oh, it isn't a secret? Well Robinson hasn't grasped it.

We now need to find a new way with the players we have - Whether Robinson can do this or just wants the same old same old may have a bearing on how long he lasts!
  • Does he ever get a sore throat?
  • Redrobo said:

Cant feel sorry for him over the build up of games - Rochdale have it worse than us yet you dont see Keith Hill moaning!!

I don’t think he was moaning. Just saying we have to get on with it; which to me is the opposite.
    It’s an agenda thing.
  • It's all to do with preparing the ground for when we finish in 7th or 8th - Just had too many injuries or just had too much of a fixture pile-up. We were just unlucky and it wasn't my fault!
  • In some ways in this industry since I've been in the building we are in a great position they did well in training it's no ones fault in some ways.
  • Redrobo said:

Cant feel sorry for him over the build up of games - Rochdale have it worse than us yet you dont see Keith Hill moaning!!

I don’t think he was moaning. Just saying we have to get on with it; which to me is the opposite.
    This. Robinson has his faults but there's nothing wrong in what he said yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Every interview he’s ever done he says ‘but listen’ and every time he says it, I get this uncontrollable feeling of anger come over me and I’m not sure why
  • edited March 2018
    Losing key players to injury, then you have players rugby tackling other players.
  • Every interview he’s ever done he says ‘but listen’ and every time he says it, I get this uncontrollable feeling of anger come over me and I’m not sure why

Does it have the same effect if you are reading it? I'm sure it doesn't, but listen, if it does, I apologise.
  • "Just get on with it" was a phrase oft used by Curbs.
  • edited March 2018
    Even I was on the tractor yesterday
    I really want to see this!
  • Sorry, all I'm hearing is blah, blah,blah !!!!!!!
  • Already without Billy Clarke, Stephy Mavididi, Jay Dasilva and Ahmed Kashi, the boss revealed that midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey and forward Tariqe Fosu have been struggling in the past few days and will not have made it in time to play.

"We were a little bit threadbare in some ways in that perspective but we were ready to play," Robinson told the club's Valley Pass. "Those two will be back in training on Tuesday to get ready for Peterborough."
  • edited March 2018
    So he should be happy the game was postponed! I'm very worried if he was disapointed!

I wonder.
  • RedChaser said:

Does he ever get a sore throat?

Nah, because he doesn't over use it, half the time he talks out of his rear end :wink:
    Ffs Mr Chaser, that was one of the best.